• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2001 S quarter
1 1

35 posts in this topic

[Proof coins have been known to wind up in change -- and you should get your answer shortly as to whether this is ir not, but the wear and tear on this one is most regrettable (unless it has an interesting back-story like having survived one of the 9/11 attacks)].

5 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

[Proof coins have been known to wind up in change -- and you should get your answer shortly as to whether this is ir not, but the wear and tear on this one is most regrettable (unless it has an interesting back-story like having survived one of the 9/11 attacks)].

Yes, it is really scratched up. I was just excited that I knew (or think I know because it is SO baffling) that that S on a quarter meant something. 🙌

2 minutes ago, Sharann said:

Yes, it is really scratched up. I was just excited that I knew (or think I know because it is SO baffling) that that S on a quarter meant something. 🙌

San Francisco.

2 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

San Francisco.

LOL, maybe I should have said meant something more than just San Francisco... 😉

1 minute ago, Sharann said:

LOL, maybe I should have said meant something more than just San Francisco... 😉

Well, depending on coin composition D could be Dahlonega for 19th Century gold pieces or D for Denver for coins still being minted today.

I’m not conder by any means, but yes it’s a proof. I see one about every 2-3 boxes of quarters I check. They slip into circulation. Once they get circulated like that really not worth any premium. Neat find though. Sometimes you’ll find one that still looks like an uncirculated proof. I figure it is someone who inherited a coin album and just popped them into their change. 

Probably not all of them but some were probably stolen by a kid or grandkid hooked on drugs. Sad to say that but they caught an old boy at the coinstar a couple years ago here where we live. He asked for service cause he couldn't get it to take alot of his coins.   The clerk who helped noticed all the very old money he was trying to put thru it and called the cops. Come to find out he stole his grandfather's coin collection and was trying to get what he could out of the coin star machine for a quick fix. I guess it was a pretty massive collection. Good thing they old guy got it back. Good thing the boy was stupid enough to try that instead of selling it to someone or they would have probably never caught him. 

27 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Those are commonly called impaired proofs, I find them from time to time and collect these as a fun collection from change.

That's a perfect name for them. 😁

7 minutes ago, zadok said:

i wasnt aware there were any huckleberries in mississippi....

Oh, you'd be surprised at the "berries"... Gooseberries, dingle berries, chokeberries, elderberries, boysenberries, and of course all the different color berries. We do not discriminate. Any type of berry is welcome. 

It is a proof, can't tell if it is a silver or clad from images of the front and back.  Check the edge, if it is a clad you should clearly see the three layer "sandwich".  If it is silver it will be 90% silver and the edge will be a solid silver color.  Weight would also tell them apart.  A clad will weigh 5.67 grams =/- .227 grams, a silver one will weigh 6.25 grams +/- .194 grams.  The weight ranges do not overlap so weight should be definitive.  A third way to check would be the tissue test.  Place a single layer of tissue such as facial or toilet tissue over the coin.  If it is clad the coin will appear gray through the tissue, if it is silver it will be bright white.

11 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

It is a proof, can't tell if it is a silver or clad from images of the front and back.  Check the edge, if it is a clad you should clearly see the three layer "sandwich".  If it is silver it will be 90% silver and the edge will be a solid silver color.  Weight would also tell them apart.  A clad will weigh 5.67 grams =/- .227 grams, a silver one will weigh 6.25 grams +/- .194 grams.  The weight ranges do not overlap so weight should be definitive.  A third way to check would be the tissue test.  Place a single layer of tissue such as facial or toilet tissue over the coin.  If it is clad the coin will appear gray through the tissue, if it is silver it will be bright white.

What an interesting notion... I am gonna do that anyway, just because I find that to be quite fascinating.

I'd already concluded that it is clad because of the different layering of colors on the edge. I was curious about the weight, though. I intended to find the different weights just to verify, but apparently got distracted and went on to something else. 

16183811541088609646029353264100.jpg

@Conder101

It is a proof, can't tell if it is a silver or clad from images of the front and back. 

I am sorry. I should've posted a picture of the edge. There is no doubt in mind that it is clad, but apparently the tissue in my neck of the woods is a little different 😂. It is clearly bright white in two and gray in only one. I am attaching three pics and the only difference is the color underneath the coin. 

20210414_012216.jpg

20210414_012255.jpg

20210414_012331.jpg

If you have a fairly high grade silver quarter try placing it beside it under the tissue to have a known comparison piece to see how much difference there is in the color.

12 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

If you have a fairly high grade silver quarter try placing it beside it under the tissue to have a known comparison piece to see how much difference there is in the color.

I don't know about the grade, but I do know that the quarter is full on 1963, 😊. The one on tge right is silver and the one in the left is clad. They both still appear to be white, though the right is brighter. Am I doing something wrong?is it supposed to be on a certain surface? 

20210414_014937.jpg

2 hours ago, Conder101 said:

No you are doing it right, it's that difference that is important  the silver is much whiter than the clad.  I am surprised that the clad shows that well though,

How many years have you been collecting  @Conder101. You are very knowledgeable. I have learned quite a bit from you in a short period of time. You have had to have been at it for quite some time. Very cool trick with the tissue paper. 

1 minute ago, Hoghead515 said:

How many years have you been collecting  @Conder101. You are very knowledgeable. I have learned quite a bit from you in a short period of time. You have had to have been at it for quite some time. Very cool trick with the tissue paper. 

I have learned a lot from him as well. He is very easy to understand. That may be because he gives a thorough explanation and cuts no corners. I think he'd make an excellent professor. 😁

15 minutes ago, Sharann said:

I have learned a lot from him as well. He is very easy to understand. That may be because he gives a thorough explanation and cuts no corners. I think he'd make an excellent professor. 😁

I agree. I really look up to him. I look up to a few others on here too. Very good , knowledgeable, and helpful people. One example is when condor gave the info on those GSA dollars. He didn't have to do that but he did. I really appreciate things like that and respect him very much. That's just one example. There are other members on here that does things like that to help people out to. I respect them all and am verb grateful to have people like that on here to help us. I take the knowledge they give me to heart also. Look how much research they save us from having to do. Very thankful for them and I'll never forget their help. I just wish there was a way I could help them. 

[Parenthetically, I wish I had Conder101's amiable disposition and superb diplomatic skills.  No put-downs. No sarcasm. No growling dog emojis. Just simple, easy to understand comments. He has a lot of admirable qualities and, if anyone has challenged him or the information he has imparted to others, I am not aware of it.  His avatar describes him to a T: cool, calm and collected.]

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Missing closing bracket