• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Using dies from previous years

12 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Undated dies were retained as long as useable, and the definition of "useable" was pretty lax during the 1920s, when tight cost-cutting was the order of the day. That's why we see coins have sharp obverses where the date is and mushy reverses that had been used far too long. When the reverse finally gave out, the obverse, now becoming worn, was paired with a fresh, sharp reverse!

Both the alloys and hardening process have improved over time. Even so, the US Mint periodically regressed in its quality, such as in the 1920s, 50s and early 80s.

Treasury Secretary Andrew Mellon was one of those parsimonious hypocrites who, when given governmental authority, totally screw up quality and public service. Director Grant was mostly a worm, and Mary O'Reilly - highly competent and dedicated - never had authority to restore things to the performance under Ray Baker. Director Ross had a lot to fix when she took office, but as a former governor she understood better than Grant how to succeed even when the Sec Treasury (Morgenthau) was aloof.

1 hour ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Nellie Tayloe Ross and Margaret O'Reilly were two fascinating and interesting women.  God Bless !

There's an entire JNR issue devoted to "The Women Who Ran the Mint." But like other JNR issues, it rarely gets mentioned or referred to as a resource. So much work; so little reward.

There's an entire JNR issue devoted to "The Women Who Ran the Mint." But like other JNR issues, it rarely gets mentioned or referred to as a resource. So much work; so little reward.

Little reward, perhaps, but I have a complete set of the JNR and treasure it.

2 hours ago, DWLange said:

I have a complete set of the JNR and treasure it.

It's nice to know that one of the best researchers and writers in numismatics has a set. :)

On 4/12/2021 at 4:51 PM, DWLange said:

Little reward, perhaps, but I have a complete set of the JNR and treasure it.

So do I, and I recently went back and reread them.  Still good and I picked up some things I missed the first time around.