• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting CAC Copycat
1 1

64 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Lem E said:

I just don’t see the justification of a price of $6000 for a coin that has a normal value of $25. A MS65 Jefferson Nickel with no FS designation is just that. Not worth much of anything. Putting a MAC sticker on that is saying it has 4 complete steps still isn’t worth much of anything. How can they justify the price jump?

Don't ask me, I know nothing of the coins...but is the example given true, a 1000-fold increase in price ?  Even 100x increase would be alot though I understand that the Full Steps thing is important for the nickles.

18 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Another example is the 1999 American Silver Eagle in NGC MS-69 selling for $65 and its MS-70 counterpart at $6,500 or 100 times greater. A MAC NGC MS-69 has considerably more value and could be worth 10% of the MS-70 value."

Hey....I've been a wide-eyed skeptic of 70 modern coins selling for multiples of 69's....but it's a function of population census numbers...I don't AGREE with it and for the most part I stay away from the 70's when the absolute dollars involved are hundreds of dollars or more.

That said....I don't think that "grade enhancement" -- even for all of my 69's -- is where I want to take this hobby.  We're cheapening the hobby, IMO.  We're Balkanizing the label....leading to more confusion and segmentation which adds complexity for newcomers and part-timers....and turns off veterans and purists who help lead the hobby.

More information is usually good...but too much can be bad.

40 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Don't ask me, I know nothing of the coins...but is the example given true, a 1000-fold increase in price ?  Even 100x increase would be alot though I understand that the Full Steps thing is important for the nickles.

The link I posted above in my earlier post is the coin I am using as an example. Yes, they want $6000 for a MS65 non FS coin. NGC price guide for same coin is $25. 

1 hour ago, Hoghead515 said:

I hope the hobby don't come down to sticker wars and everything gets way over priced. If people start paying those ridiculous prices and it makes the prices go way up on those low ball coins ill have to give up on the hobby. Surely to goodness it won't. Hope not anyways. 

I mean, some would argue we went there just with TPGs / that was the camel's nose in the tent.

I don't see this working. I don't see many / any CAC coins in what I collect because the value add isn't there. CAC only works on higher end things where 1 point matters. Same thing with WINGS. I have 1 stickered WINGS coin. I didn't pay extra for it. I haven't removed it, but I didn't pay extra for it.

Edited by Revenant

33 minutes ago, Revenant said:

I mean, some would argue we went there just with TPGs / that was the camel's nose in the tent.

I don't see this working. I don't see many / any CAC coins in what I collect because the value add isn't there. CAC only works on higher end things where 1 point matters. Same thing with WINGS. I have 1 stickered WINGS coin. I didn't pay extra for it. I haven't removed it, but I didn't pay extra for it.

not entirely accurate.....cac stickers coins in any grade.....

2 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

I hope the hobby don't come down to sticker wars and everything gets way over priced. If people start paying those ridiculous prices and it makes the prices go way up on those low ball coins ill have to give up on the hobby. Surely to goodness it won't. Hope not anyways. 

Don't let these companies force you to leave the biz.  The fact that they have so little business and that I never heard of them before today and that I doubt that more than 3 dealers out of 600 at FUN 2022 would have any of their coins shows that most astute collectors know this thing is a joke.

If they want to be another CAC stickering company, fine.  Let them focus on either overall quality like CAC or maybe some individual attributes.....and then MAKE A MARKET in the coins they sticker so they eat their own home cooking.

They say they're correctly grading coins that are more valuable ?  Then put your money where your mouth is.  Buy at the higher price.

2 hours ago, Revenant said:

I get where you are coming from, Rev, but the analogy doesn't hold under closer inspection for those naysayers to the TPGs.  Most coin collectors are NOT great or even good graders.  That meant they were at the mercy of unscrupulous dealers who sold them overpriced and overgraded coins -- sometimes by accident because the dealers themselves weren't good graders.   Imagine Ebay without TPG-certified coins -- OMG. doh!

Economics 101 says you need transparency and (perfect) information to make good efficient markets.  I don't think we have 100% transparency and perfect information with the TPGs -- but they definitely closed the gap.  Even with the occasional/inadvertent mistakes, overgrading, occasional loose standards -- the amount of mistakes, fraud, overpriced and overgraded stuff has gone down a ton since 40 years ago.

I don't have the time to do the necessary research, DD, and grading analysis for all my purchases of coins and currency without the TPGs.  If we were back in the ungraded, pre-TPG era, I'd probably have 1/10th of my holdings.  

2 hours ago, Revenant said:

I don't see this working. I don't see many / any CAC coins in what I collect because the value add isn't there. CAC only works on higher end things where 1 point matters. 

Not necessarily.  Sometimes it's not about wanting a coin that will grab 20% of the gap to the next-grade, the inflection point for price.  I looked into a CAC 1923-D MS-66 last year at FUN.  I wanted it not for the price it would command but for the quality.  Ultimately, I spent alot of time and found a really nice 1923-D MS-66 without CAC.  Who knows, maybe it would even qualify for a CAC sticker.  Most importantly, I like the coin alot.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

12 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

(2)  CAC buying their own stickered product isn't a pump-and-dump......they're NOT dumping, they are buying.  They are eating their own home cooking.  If CAC says my MS-66 1923-D Saint is CAC-worthy and they pay an extra $1,000 for the coin, didn't they do the right thing ?

This seems a bit murky to me. I'm not well versed in CAC or how they acquire and trade/sell CAC coins but conflicts of interest appear to be there along with a potential for funny business. 

5 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

If we were back in the ungraded, pre-TPG era, I'd probably have 1/10th of my holdings.

Wow! That seems harsh. Without TPG's I'd would have fewer collectables but not 90% less. Ouch! I get what you're saying though.(thumbsu

I can understand the CAC stickers marking the best coins. I just hope all the other dealers don't start following suit with that seller trying to get 6000 out of a $25 nickle because of those MAC stickers. People see stuff like that on EBAY  and think to themselves, "I need me some MAC stickers."   That's what I hope it dont come down to. Then everything get way over priced. I just hope all sellers don't turn out like the one in the example above over a MAC sticker. I can't hardly wrap my head around that.  $6000 for a $25 coin. 

6 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

I get where you are coming from, Rev, but the analogy doesn't hold under closer inspection for those naysayers to the TPGs. 

Yeah, but I'm just saying some would argue that. I'm one of those people that sucks at grading. 🤣

1 hour ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

This seems a bit murky to me. I'm not well versed in CAC or how they acquire and trade/sell CAC coins but conflicts of interest appear to be there along with a potential for funny business. Wow! That seems harsh. Without TPG's I'd would have fewer collectables but not 90% less. Ouch! I get what you're saying though.(thumbsu

(1)  CAC makes a market in their own stickered coins and will buy/sell sight-unseen their own coins by making a market in them.  If they were putting stickers on coins that didn't deserve it -- if they stickered "C" coins that didn't deserve it -- they'd be buying back "C" coins at "A" prices and stuck with their own overgraded/overstickered coins.

(2)  Maybe 90% is too much but you get my drift.  Could be 50%....could be 75%....point is, it'd be alot less buying as I would need to vet folks I buy from especially gold coins costing ~ $2,000 much more carefully.

I can understand the CAC stickers marking the best coins. I just hope all the other dealers don't start following suit with that seller trying to get 6000 out of a $25 nickle because of those MAC stickers. People see stuff like that on EBAY  and think to themselves, "I need me some MAC stickers."   That's what I hope it dont come down to. Then everything get way over priced. I just hope all sellers don't turn out like the one in the example above over a MAC sticker. I can't hardly wrap my head around that.  $6000 for a $25 coin. 

If MAC provides a useful service and their graders/owners have some credibility, then maybe their stickers will acquire some market value (though not to the extent they are promising).  

CAC was founded by John Albanese, who was a key early player in both PCGS and NGC.  CAC is in effect a "grader of the graders" by making sure that the coins graded are "strong" for the underlying grade.

I admit to knowing nothing about the founders and people behind these other firms.  But whereas PCGS was strickly interested in providing desperately needed knowledge to make it so that you didn't need to be an excellent grader to participate in coin collecting......and whereas NGC provided competition to PCGS so a monopoly didn't exist....and whereas CAC then kept both PCGS and NGC on their toes (so to speak) by making sure that their grading doesn't go off the rails.....these companies (or at least their marketing verbiage) seems entirely focused on grabbing some of the price gap at key inflection points. 

Seems too much focused on monetary benefits and not getting quality coins for one's money.

52 minutes ago, Revenant said:

Yeah, but I'm just saying some would argue that. I'm one of those people that sucks at grading. 🤣

To an extent, I am too.xD  But I think we have great balance right now with 2 major TPGs, 2 support TPGs, and an enforcer of strict grading (CAC).

I could get another stickering company, but only to compete with CAC, not to promise folks that their stickers will grab some of the real estate between 2 different prices at inflection points.

20 hours ago, JT2 said:

WHAT you mean i am not a Millionaire :( 

Actually, no.  Those were $100 trillion bank notes.  You are a multi-trillionaire.  And it doesn't matter whether they appreciate in value or not.  They are worth a lot more than what you paid for them and someone somewhere will always want one.  Having one in your pocket puts pep in your step and jut in your strut. 😉

40 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

If MAC provides a useful service and their graders/owners have some credibility, then maybe their stickers will acquire some market value (though not to the extent they are promising).  

CAC was founded by John Albanese, who was a key early player in both PCGS and NGC.  CAC is in effect a "grader of the graders" by making sure that the coins graded are "strong" for the underlying grade.

I admit to knowing nothing about the founders and people behind these other firms.  But whereas PCGS was strickly interested in providing desperately needed knowledge to make it so that you didn't need to be an excellent grader to participate in coin collecting......and whereas NGC provided competition to PCGS so a monopoly didn't exist....and whereas CAC then kept both PCGS and NGC on their toes (so to speak) by making sure that their grading doesn't go off the rails.....these companies (or at least their marketing verbiage) seems entirely focused on grabbing some of the price gap at key inflection points. 

Seems too much focused on monetary benefits and not getting quality coins for one's money.

I am still on the fence with this. As far as I am concerned, true grading does not exist. Yet. Lotteries are won with winning numbers.  Game shows are won with correct answers. As long as you have differing opinions in numismatics, you don't have any clear winners. What you do have are collectors who think they may have been close to winning.  Not my idea of a level playing field.

[My apologies to Just Bob if it's a little too early in the morning for all this.]

13 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

"Pump and dump" (P&D) is a form of securities fraud that involves artificially inflating the price of an owned stock".  Punishable by prison time if stocks are involved.  Coins....nope, do as you please because there's no regulation on how high you can inflate a coin nor how many 'misleading'  statements used to describe said coin.

[Now here's where you need to post that growling dog emoji of yours, Alex.]

18 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

Correct.  Revenant knows what he is talking about.  I saw a common Mint State 63 Morgan with a CAC sticker.  That is the exact definition of 'greedy' and does nothing more than hurt the hobby by inflating a $40.00 coin to $60.00 or $80.00.

Suppose there are lots of MS63 Morgans and they vary all over the lot ?  At least the CAC sticker is saying that the coin is strong for the grade.

If lots of crappy coins are graded MS63 -- if they are really MS62's -- then that $40 coin really is for MS62 coins.  CAC is simply saying that some of the MS63's are MUCH BETTER than others.  Where the price goes....the market determines it.

If you believe all coins graded the same are in fact the same, then your criticism of CAC at least makes sense.  If however you believe there is a wide lattitude in the grading even within the same coin grade, then you can't berate CAC.

18 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

"Pump and dump" (P&D) is a form of securities fraud that involves artificially inflating the price of an owned stock".  Punishable by prison time if stocks are involved.  Coins....nope, do as you please because there's no regulation on how high you can inflate a coin nor how many 'misleading'  statements used to describe said coin.

Right, P&D involves inflating a stock like we saw with GameStop.  CAC is nothing like this because CAC and John Albanese are eating their own cooking by making a market in their own stickered product.

Were all the Gamestop boosters who said the stock was worth $1,000 when it was trading at $400 now willing to pay $400 for the bagholders who own it with the stock at less than half that price (about $200) ?  No, they are NOT !!!   That's a pump-and-dump.....exactly the OPPOSITE of what CAC brings to the table, Alex.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

40 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Actually, no.  Those were $100 trillion bank notes.  You are a multi-trillionaire.  And it doesn't matter whether they appreciate in value or not.  They are worth a lot more than what you paid for them and someone somewhere will always want one.  Having one in your pocket puts pep in your step and jut in your strut. 😉

The 100T and the 50T in particular still trade at nice premiums. The vast majority of the others you can have for $1-5. The graded notes sell for the grading fees or less unless you're buying very high grades. That's one of the reasons I just bought my whole set graded when I wanted to build that signature set. Why take a risk on buying raw and going through the grading process when I can get a good grade at low or no premium?

Those Zimbabwe notes aren't cheap.  I see them on Ebay and also at FUN 2020 and for a note that is ridiculously devalued because of the printing press churning them out like Weimar Geramny did the mark, they sure charge alot for those notes in pristine condition. xD

I noticed Mac also has several different stickers. MAC finest, MAC rainbow, MAC deep proof, etc.  I seen one coin on Ebay had MAC stickers all over it. Looked like the back windshield of a Volkswagen at a Grateful Dead concert.  That's no lie either. 

More information with a TPG and/or CAC is fine.  TOO MUCH is excessive.

5 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

More information with a TPG and/or CAC is fine.  TOO MUCH is excessive.

Maybe encapsulations ought to come with DVD's (for a nominal fee).