Train wreck/1978 :) thanks all
4 4

240 posts in this topic

With the photos supplied, all I see is an ordinary 1978 Lincoln cent.

The "die gouge" above his eye is just damage. A real Die Gouge would be raised, not incuse.

If you have the time to waste you can post all the photos you want, it will not change the fact that you have nothing out of the ordinary and it has no value over face value.

Posted (edited)

So doing research on the 1978 D with over 4 billion struck and comparing it to pcgs website it looks up close to be a winner on grade alone in fact if it don't get deemed an error coin thus I've compared this penny to all D/P on pcgs website and looks to be the best with the most details.

Edited by SlickCoins

To be blunt: Your cent is normal; your top two photos are too fuzzy to be of any use; you bottom photo is a meaningless blur.

When you find something unusual, post sharp, clear photos. Members will be happy to help.

On 4/4/2021 at 11:48 AM, Coinbuf said:

The people on the other forum are right you have nothing but a common cent worth $.01, spend it wisely on a new pair of glasses.

[Well, let's not be too hasty.  I believe if what the OP had were a Mint Rod Impact Lightning Strike, it would be worth a lot more. But that doesn't make it an error. It is merely an inadvertent act of God. The eye gouging, of course, is a different story particularly when performed with malice aforethought.]  😉

6 hours ago, SlickCoins said:

Mint rod impact lighting is not mint rod impact lightning. Yeah disregard the MRIL, let's all focus on the S under the D. I'll get us a good pic. :)

[Another one of my rocket-propelled attempts at humor gone awry. My apologies, SlickCoins.]

I’m sure other will chime in soon, but it looks like die deterioration in both the mint mark and date. Worn dies produce an almost doubling appearing as they wear. That’s what it appears to me but don’t take it for gospel. 

Still nothing there to see...except 2 more blurred, useless photos.

It's possible that the only thing that will convince the OP is to waste $100 or more on authentication and grading. However, if it has become a divinely inspired belief, then nothing will change what the OP imagines he sees. Sad.

:(

10 hours ago, SlickCoins said:

I've come to the realization that this coin is not ready... Maybe in like another 20 years when jewelers loops are obsolete and algorithms and computers grade coins then and only then this coin might be accepted as what it is regardless of what I might think I'm seeing or others for the proof is in the coin. Or I should say on it.

Thanks all

Just another CCTV/IT Tech's input, funny how they'll use extra tech to prove the coin is counterfeit vs this kind of scenario

You don't have to wait 20 years for technology.  It has been around for a while.  Go to www.Lincolncentresource.com and pull up the S mm style for 1978 Proof cents and make an overlay on your coin.  

3 hours ago, SlickCoins said:

Woot, right when I thought it was over I get the best rock solid answer and no one said it is or it isn't thou, left it wide open to fresh idea.

I'm not looking for authentication here, for I know I'd have to submit it for that.

I'm on it, let's see if I can't make a good overlay.

Thanks again you rock 

I'm not seeing anything that resembles your claim.  Just wanted to give you a tool that you can use to prove it to yourself.   

4 hours ago, SlickCoins said:

Oh I totally get it was just to prove it to myself, the 20 years which it won't be that long is cause the CCTV camera industry will come out with a camera that sees way better so it's only inevitable when this coin shines.

I'm truly the only person who knows by default what this coin is, because #1 I've put the shades on and I'm fresh out of bubble gum.

Thanks all

PS I'm totally cool keeping my $0.01 and you'll never catch me trolling others to spend theirs on cheap sunglasses.

Would you mind repeating that in plain English, so that those of us who are not inside your head can understand what you are saying?