1978 D LMC, Proof to Business?'s AKA Train wreck
3 3

241 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, SlickCoins said:

This is what I see. Same D and same off mark S's.

Yeah who knows right.

Thanks all

Screenshot_20210425-231054500_1_1_1.jpg

Screenshot_20210425-230912127_1.jpg

Screenshot_20210425-231116384_1_1_1.jpg

Screenshot_20210425-230958454_1.jpg

wow,  something tells me you and quintis were together in a previous life.  Fantastic display of the evidence.  I totally agree with you now.  You are rich!  just send them in and watch the money flow.

All them errors circled looked like something out of a football coaches play book. Those were graded examples but the TPG never said one thing about them because they were nothing. 

6 hours ago, Oldhoopster said:

How is a new collector supposed to know that a troll is spouting nonsense if knowledgeable members ignore them and don’t provide logical explanations? 

Simple.  Just as a psychiatric evaluation or diagnostic assessment cannot be made over the phone and coin grading cannot accurately be made from just photos whatever the magnification, there apparently are no substantive conclusions in numismatics. Only opinions. To the extent possible, your "knowledgeable members" will intuitively detect functional illiteracy, or nonsense, humor the errant member or feign ignorance, and gracefully move on.  At some point, prolonged displays will become known to the moderators and Administrator who, deploying cutting edge anti-trolling software, will defend the sanctity of the Forum and brand using the latest technology available, giving respectable members the opportunity to test-drive their own self-developed heavy artillery on the next troll to try our stroll.

32 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Simple.  Just as a psychiatric evaluation or diagnostic assessment cannot be made over the phone and coin grading cannot accurately be made from just photos whatever the magnification, there apparently are no substantive conclusions in numismatics. Only opinions. To the extent possible, your "knowledgeable members" will intuitively detect functional illiteracy, or nonsense, humor the errant member or feign ignorance, and gracefully move on.  At some point, prolonged displays will become known to the moderators and Administrator who, deploying cutting edge anti-trolling software, will defend the sanctity of the Forum and brand using the latest technology available, giving respectable members the opportunity to test-drive their own self-developed heavy artillery on the next troll to try our stroll.

So you're saying that we should leave the trolls to the moderators.

2 hours ago, Oldhoopster said:

So you're saying that we should leave the trolls to the moderators.

Not all Trolls are created equal.  Some go off on harmless tangents.  Some are clever enough to skirt the guidelines.  Others are not even aware their behavior poses a problem for those who come here for professional guidance. Then there are the malicious Trolls whose motives are undeniably suspect. That is why the Administrators, in their infinite wisdom, provided for a Report tab. The preferred procedure is to avoid further engagement with a member you find objectionable for one reason or another and simply report the offensive conduct.

13 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Short and to the point.  Love it

Posted (edited)

To sum up everything @Just Bob has the best and most professional answer.

Explains a bunch more of what my question are like why is the finish on my cent seem like it's peeling, also explains why when they got the D mark it seems very much dented.

I'm in shock you all can't see the caboose ones, I didn't draw the same exact circles on the bottom pic but they are on exact place.

Thanks all :)

20200708_143109_1.jpg

Screenshot_20210426-063353617_1.jpg

21-04-08 19:00:04.png

Edited by SlickCoins

All that is around that D on the bottom picture is machine doubling. Very common. Pick up 10 pennies and one or two will have it on them. Caused when the dies get worn. What looks like 2 Ds is just machine doubling. All that other garbage your seeing is stains and scratches and machine doubling. And hits and bag marks. 

On bottom picture you can see it around the date to. Looks doubled. Just VERY common machine doubling. 

I get home from work and show you a picture of 10 of them just like it. I got some that are more doubled than that. They are not worth anything. 

[Well, at least we know now -- some seven pages and nearly 200 posts later -- that our Just Bob had "the best and most professional answer."

Having received my PCGS plaque (which is lovely, if I may so so myself) if my wife asks, Why are you still looking for Roosters?,  I will tell her the truth:  Mon ti Coeur (Love of my life) anyone can be No. 1.  Completing a set is easy. All the great collectors completed their respective sets years before the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire (1911).  What I want, preferably before the Grim Reaper knocks on our door, is compiling the finest Rooster set possible. 

The current finest possible set rating is 67.219.  I continue to languish, even with a recent upgrade, at 65.781, a whopping .093 percentage point.  

The late Robert Frost expresses my posture precisely in a nearly century-old poem, extracts of his closing line which read, in part...  "But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep."

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, my appeal to the congregation:  if you, or anyone you know, stumbles across an unconfirmed rumor of a 1914 Rooster in MS-67 condition which has yet to be certified by any TPGS, 0/0, kindly allow me to be the first recipient of that incredible, most welcome news].

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Closing bracket.

Posted (edited)

I'm surprised nobody caught my bold and outlandish statement me thinking mines the best, true newbie statement to which I would've responded, "prove it".

Also I don't know how the point thing works on supposed "die gouge" so I skipped that mark.

All things aside thanks all.

Again I respect all the knowledge you all have.

Screenshot_20210425-230912127_2.jpg

20200708_143109_1.jpg

Screenshot_20210426-063353617_1.jpg

Screenshot_20210426-063317003_1.jpg

20200708_133048.jpg

Screenshot_20210426-063406555_1.jpg

Edited by SlickCoins

Posted (edited)

Idk maybe it was dirt, cause I know I've got this picture also so I might've been testing angles.

Not sure, I know I do not clean coins, well correction I did clean super glue off a 1958 D had been glued to a piece of paper :) not for sale and just for me.

20200708_133004.jpg

Edited by SlickCoins

10 hours ago, GBrad said:

What is in the water, or air, these days in Denver, CO???? Just had to ask........

Good question.  Denver bills itself "the mile-high city.  I say water seeks its own level.  The answer to your question lies somewhere in between.  Nothing to be concerned about.

Just now, SlickCoins said:

Idk maybe it was dirt, cause I know I've got this picture also. Not sure, I know I do not clean coins, well correction I did clean super glue off a 1958 D had been glued to a piece of paper :) not for sale and just for me.

20200708_133004.jpg

That's okay. I super-glued about 37 shiny, brand-new cents to a park bench.  The next day, they were all gone.  When I inquired whether Parks (Parks & Recreation) a city agency had removed them, I was told, No, it was removed by what appeared to be a fairly well-to-do man.  Anticipating my next question, he said, He used a fork!

Will wonders never cease?  

Posted (edited)

Correction, nope still peeling even in my sunlight picture, also this picture was recently taken.

Thanks all

P_20210408_081410_1.jpg

Edited by SlickCoins

2 hours ago, SlickCoins said:

I'm still left to wonder, why nobody asked even after I explained my theory.

Because other than Q.A, who has the patience of a saint, my guess is most of the folks who tried to help you are done banging their collective heads against the wall.  

Dang congrats on the PCGS 🏆@Quintus Arrius, I want everyone to know, I'm not saying anyone is wrong, it's you all who have driven me beyond the levels of reality to conjure such visions, or the reality that this coin is real amongst others, I mean the coin, yeah the story I dig that also.

Might as well be a lsd taking crazy internet troll train conductor, if only reality worked that way instead of the true reality.

Regardless, I won't be submitting my coin to join the rest, for this coin I deem a cheater coin and as a true reality fan, I don't think it's fair setting the bar that high. (As a game server admin/website admin/etc. This don't jive in my book of fair game.)

Too be a fan this late in the game, these oddities I see dating all the way back to the famed 1909 VDB with clear flattened S's are troublesome, for I'm a late bloomer and this is unacceptable in my opinion.

One might be wondering why I'm looking at finishes anyways, well since I'm in Denver, I'm checking for 1983 D copper cent.

Anyways I liked yours all comments for you were the true shining light for our train.

Thanks all

1 hour ago, Morpheus1967 said:

Because other than Q.A, who has the patience of a saint, my guess is most of the folks who tried to help you are done banging their collective heads against the wall.  

True, indeed.

7 pages on this? Are you kidding me, please standby while I go watch Game of Thrones 6 seasons. I’ll check back in at that time, figuring this thread will still be knotting up the Interweb for some time to come. 😴