1978 D LMC, Proof to Business?'s AKA Train wreck
3 3

241 posts in this topic

If someone went through all that work to make a cent like that they wouldn't just turn it out into circulation. They would keep it. Who would take the chance on being fired in a high security work place such as the mint just to pass that cent thru circulation. They would be caught defacing the dies like that. These places have several workers and tight security and quality control. You would have to have a bunch of people in on it. Not just one man that does it all. And they are watched. They ain't gonna do all that work heating dies and punching them to send that cent thru circulation. I know it's fun to dream sometimes but come on. Come back to reality and learn about some things that really can happen and you will enjoy this hobby a whole lot. People are very helpful and informative here but you have to stay within reality. 

19 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Oh, well.  I tried.

I think several of us did. You done a good job explaining it tho. I give you an A for effort. Some people just don't want to accept reality. Maybe if you'd said it was minted by a magic wizard at Hogwarts castle he may have believed you. 

Any time I see over 80 posts, I know something like this happened. I don't know how you all can expend this much time and energy on such things. The minute it's clear I'm not getting through and am not going to, I'm out of there.

29 minutes ago, JKK said:

Any time I see over 80 posts, I know something like this happened. I don't know how you all can expend this much time and energy on such things. The minute it's clear I'm not getting through and am not going to, I'm out of there.

You are a wise man. I told myself 100 posts back that this was someone wasting our time and purposely riling us up. Yet every time I got sucked back in. Then I would see a glimpse of hope that he really wanted to learn and I felt bad so wanted to help. I’ve told myself multiple times how foolish I was to continue to engage, but who listens to what I say? I don’t! 😂

7 minutes ago, JKK said:

Here's the cold reality. People present a viewpoint, usually one based in that peristalsis or whatever it's called. After four or five people have told them an answer they didn't want to hear, they either know they're right or they know they're wrong.

If they know they are right, they stop wasting time on us intellectual inferiors. They send it in for grading so they can tell us to suck it. They shut up until the coin comes back. If they feel like it, they post their victory to wash our faces in it. If it's a defeat, very few will sack up, post the results, and admit error. They might even start a massive thread about how NGC was bad and mean to them.

If they know they are wrong, they continue to argue, because they know the grading money would be wasted money. Once it hits about three pages, I know we have someone who knows they are wrong and is just acting out some sort of pathology. Sometimes it's obstinacy, sometimes it's trolling (you guys are so ultra-trollable), sometimes it's stupidity, sometimes it's infantilism, and sometimes it's gods know what.

I agree whole heartedly 

2 hours ago, SlickCoins said:

Lol why sneak in something they own#1, #2 thanks now I know a rough date on said hand press :)

The mint went to steam presses in the 1830's, so it isn't likely they would keep an old hand press around just in case they need it 140 years later!  As far as that goes, the Denver mint would never have used hand presses to begin with.

Edited by l.cutler

1 hour ago, Woods020 said:

You are a wise man. I told myself 100 posts back that this was someone wasting our time and purposely riling us up. Yet every time I got sucked back in. Then I would see a glimpse of hope that he really wanted to learn and I felt bad so wanted to help. I’ve told myself multiple times how foolish I was to continue to engage, but who listens to what I say? I don’t! 😂

Don't feel bad. I've done the same thing. Just couldn't help myself. Old dude probably sitting and laughing at all of us. 

I can't get enough, you all are great :)

Ok #1 it is illegal for a mint employee to keep any coins/paper money/paper clips, pens etc. Anything, hmmm does the federal reserve give anything for free=no.

Of course some have tried I'm sure, I was told by a ex mint employee they was weighed coming and going.

#2 They can't just throw it away either and they have no smelter, they outsource the blanks. For along time Denver had its blanks sent from SF. 

#3 You all must be assuming I haven't put great research into this coin, I have, hence I come with all kinds like samples, none proof.

#4 You all must also think, I'm not getting what you all are saying, but I am thou I'm way harder on myself then anyone could ever be too me.

#5 Of course it's like a train wreck and we are all being watched, lol no pressure.

#6 Of course I check out the book of coins and know how impossible this could be, or even possible if that's the case.

I'll do the train wreck a + and put up the comparisons.

Thanks all 

The number #2 thing I beat myself over the head with is, yeah, how did this coin escape time aka circulation?

Only thing I can come up with is what the internet showed me, for it showed me that back in the day, that a coin guy had his 70's S error coins seized for counterfeit aka fake coins accusations, I can only imagine they seized everything.

So low and behold many years later, after this man's passing, California decided these coins are not fake and sent them to auction, keep in mind this is way after the 1955 and other known errors that were highly scrutinized back in the day as fake.

So I'm thinking to myself, what coin or coins of 1970's S mint only or even early 80's would cause his coins to be seized or any, I mean most major errors were identified and highly scrutinized.

Well can you imagine this coin 40 years ago, hmmm let's cover the bases.

#1 I've been told I'm seeing things and it's impossible.

#2 With technology of our time we can show each other way easier, what's on the coin, so it went from I'm seeing things to, it's fake.

Now think what they would've said back then.

Ps this coin would've failed the auction hence it was dumped.

Thou without the list of what coins were seized, I'll never know if this is part of that, maybe there's a list in California.

Hold up on that carwash boys, is this the cent! who wrecked the train? Movie one liners, chopped the riddled way, of course.

Still working pics incoming

#1 Why me, I mean, I don't have the knowledge to even try to attempt to explain, or the book smarts, I'm just a coin nerd 🤓

Train wrecks may follow obviously.

Thanks again

Glad you put in some research. Maybe you can learn a whole lot about this hobby and come to love it like we do. 

1 minute ago, Hoghead515 said:

Glad you put in some research. Maybe you can learn a whole lot about this hobby and come to love it like we do. 

I'm not surprised you feel that way.  This guy doesn't have a malicious bone in his body.  Let everyone learn at his own pace. You, H, are a gentleman's gentleman.  

12 hours ago, SlickCoins said:

The number #2 thing I beat myself over the head with is, yeah, how did this coin escape time aka circulation?

Only thing I can come up with is what the internet showed me, for it showed me that back in the day, that a coin guy had his 70's S error coins seized for counterfeit aka fake coins accusations, I can only imagine they seized everything.

So low and behold many years later, after this man's passing, California decided these coins are not fake and sent them to auction, keep in mind this is way after the 1955 and other known errors that were highly scrutinized back in the day as fake.

So I'm thinking to myself, what coin or coins of 1970's S mint only or even early 80's would cause his coins to be seized or any, I mean most major errors were identified and highly scrutinized.

Well can you imagine this coin 40 years ago, hmmm let's cover the bases.

#1 I've been told I'm seeing things and it's impossible.

#2 With technology of our time we can show each other way easier, what's on the coin, so it went from I'm seeing things to, it's fake.

Now think what they would've said back then.

Ps this coin would've failed the auction hence it was dumped.

Thou without the list of what coins were seized, I'll never know if this is part of that, maybe there's a list in California.

Hold up on that carwash boys, is this the cent! who wrecked the train? Movie one liners, chopped the riddled way, of course.

Still working pics incoming

#1 Why me, I mean, I don't have the knowledge to even try to attempt to explain, or the book smarts, I'm just a coin nerd 🤓

Train wrecks may follow obviously.

Thanks again

The error dealer that bought the lot of proof errors from the state of CA posts on some of the forums and has discussed some of the specific coins from that group.  He would know which coins were in that that auction.

I like Trolls.  Their meandering and puttering, theories, justifications, are what keep us on our feet.  I enjoy his youthful exuberance.

If you do not abide his style, there is nothing stopping you from turning the page or even throwing the whole book out.  If you pay to watch a movie and decide you do not like it, you walk out. Here, you have the luxury of ignoring someone.  [One such chap started his own thread, I just ignored someone... You'd have thought he started an arson fire agonizing what he had done and asked other viewers if they had done likewise! Unbelievable!  Who cares? Better yet, why would you, a member write a formal thread informing another dues-paying member, that henceforth he was being officially ignored -- by this one person?  If you would rather not be subject to the antics of a homeless person on a subway train, you don't attempt to engage him in conversation. Do you really think he will put out his cigarette for you, or put away his liquor bottle?  No, of course not. That might get you killed.

Trolls are harmless. Better an engaging troll than a malicious gossip or trollop.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
New cell; untamed, untrained, spellchecker gone awry.

Thats not an S. It's a snake. I forgot. Magic mushrooms are legal out in that part of the country now. 

Edited by Hoghead515

3 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

I like Trolls.  Their meandering and puttering, theories, justifications, are what keep us on his feet.  I enjoy his you'll exuberance.

If you do not abide his style, there is nothing stopping you from turning the page or even throwing the whole book out.  If you pay to watch a movie and decide you do not like it, you walk out. Here, you have thr luxury of ignoring someone.  [One such chap started his own thread, I just ignored someone... You'd have thought he started an arson fire agonizing what he had done and asked other viewers if they had done otherwise! Unbelievable!  Who cares? Better yet, why would you (another member) write a formal thread informing Domaine that henceforth he was being officially ignored -- by this one person?  If you would rather not be subject to the antics of a homeless person on a subway train, you don't attempt to engage him in conversation. Do you really think he will put out his cigarette for you, or put away his liquor bottle?  No, of course not. You might get killed.

Trolls are harmless. Better an engaging troll than a malicious gossip or trollop.

I feel very strongly in making sure we give new collectors accurate information.  New members don’t always know which member has high credibility and who is taking a best guess.  That’s why it’s important, IMO that if incorrect info is posted, a consensus of members will see it’s corrected.

You should also consider that new collectors can find this site through a variety of ways.  A thread may show up during a google search or a search within the site.  How is a new collector supposed to know that a troll is spouting nonsense if knowledgeable members ignore them and don’t provide logical explanations?  If we all ignored this thread, how would a new member know that this guy is making outrageous claims for his own amusement?

Granted, it takes a lot more self-discipline to just correct the misinformation in a troll thread rather than getting involved in “troll eradication” (I’m guilty).  But I think just ignoring them is a disservice to new collectors.  Just my opinion.  Your mileage may vary.

This is where I leave the post, try not to make yourself look like an . 

Oh wait mission accomplished, good day all, lol with the troll comment, cause I don't agree.

Thanks all