1978 D LMC, Proof to Business?'s AKA Train wreck
3 3

241 posts in this topic

On 4/20/2021 at 9:18 AM, SlickCoins said:

Again I'm not a troll, then again you all probably think so cause I don't agree with you all.

All good.

Your effervescent personality disqualifies you from being a troll.  You are lively and entertaining.  Besides, you are free to practice your religion as you wish. Welcome to the Forum!

All things aside, sorry all for being a newbie, and that I have confidence in what I'm seeing, hmmm this much wasted on a 1978 showing the world all these wasted fake marks, lol and the "ones" I didn't show you all... Yeah ok, I can name a bunch of coins they could've done this to, if this was the case and gotten paid.

This is where the end is, at least fake is better than seeing things.

P.S. it's just a penny. :)

Thanks all

Posted (edited)

Oh I'm not leaving just finishing this thread.

One more question, I should've asked but it's that a die cud in the number 8 top part?

I'm new but it's black and looks like a type of metal.

Thanks again, sorry all

Edited by SlickCoins

I know I'd have to get one up closer shot for you all but I promise last one on the impossible.

One up close of said black metal looking stuff coming.

Thanks all

Research what a cud is. You will see the answer is no. Cuds are die breaks on the rim. But you will probably say that the book I read that in is wrong so who knows?

Posted (edited)

Also I'm not saying anyone is wrong, even if it's not in a book, you all are super smart on the coins.

I'd never thought that flattened mint marks would be fake let alone ever be real.

I know I seen a bunch that's pretty much it well, some were raised but still flattened, shoot the years, 33 years since the big S has been used on a nickel let alone a cent.

Then the mark I suspected being ruined was (78-79)mark was intended for those years.

Also the masters who make them are far superior at their trade, also the time it takes to make just one, I could only imagine 1 year of perfection.

Anyways I'd never had thought any of this, so yes I learned a bunch and I don't think anyone is wrong.

Edited by SlickCoins

Ok, few more questions?

How did you come to the conclusions that said marks are fake sight unseen?

I know in my field I can't do sight unseen judgements.

Also is there a bunch of fake mint marks examples for us to compare to your call, on them being fake?

Again thanks all

Or you all want it your way, once somebody does start asking questions, you all wanna ban, of course after the slander.

Who knows I'm an outsider looking in.

Again I find no reason to ban myself, but I wanna daily. Ban myself from stupidity. :)

Yes all props to the admins, far superior to last website, thou I didn't have all the goods like I do now, one year later, so in hind sight they improved me just like you all have.

Yeah forget my questions, even thou valid, forget them.

Also everyone get their last comments in I'm gonna be calling for this thread to be deleted.

Thanks again

Posted (edited)

Yes like this 79 S, which would've been ruined.

Ps the banning the stupidity in no way it's about any of you. I'm new, for me questions are far superior knowledge.

When I ask all you is cause I respect the knowledge you all have.

Thanks again

Edited by SlickCoins

[There are only three questions I have:

I assume you are young and given to streams of consciousness.  

I would like to know how old you are and how many years of formal schooling you have.

I would like to know how long you've been collecting, what you've been collecting and whether you have a basic collection of books and  a particular coin or series you have a preference for.

Lastly, I would like to know where you live, generally, e.g., if not state, then region: northeast, the south, midwest, or out west and whether you have fair access to any large cities, libraries -- even coin shows.

This basic information I believe will help readers better understand and help you, giving appropriate advice and direction to useful resources.

You are, of course, not under any obligation to respond.  I myself would just like to have a better idea of exactly where you stand in this hobby.  You may not be aware of it but with the Forum you have access to scores of people who may share your interests and extend a welcoming hand -- beyond the hieroglyphic we have spent weeks trying to decipher to your understanding and satisfaction.  Fair enough?]

Yes sir fair enough.

I'm 42, living in Denver, Colorado, Native of Colorado for all my life.

Schooling, yeah I could lie and say I've got some, thou that'd just make me a liar, regardless, who/where/when/how, I spill the beans.

So yes I'm sorry if I'm riddled like the riddler with typos and or missing words/commas.

I started collecting when Meema and Opa left me their collection lol🤣 kidding, I started right a little over one year ago.

Thanks again

Ps, I had left overs baked potatoes

25 minutes ago, SlickCoins said:

Yes sir fair enough.

I'm 42, living in Denver, Colorado, Native of Colorado for all my life.

Schooling, yeah I could lie and say I've got some, thou that'd just make me a liar, regardless, who/where/when/how, I spill the beans.

So yes I'm sorry if I'm riddled like the riddler with typos and or missing words/commas.

I started collecting when Meema and Opa left me their collection lol🤣 kidding, I started right a little over one year ago.

Thanks again

Ps, I had left overs baked potatoes

Thank you, you've been very helpful.  Now perhaps another member/collector can give you some helpful advice and make collector-appropriate suggestions.

OK, to add to Just Bob's well written scenario, we now must add this mint employee going out and getting a 150 year old hand press, which would weigh thousands of pounds, sneaking it into the mint, setting it up, altering and fitting dies made for the modern presses to it and then striking the coin.

Edited by l.cutler

If they would even have the dies at the one mint. If not it would have had to have been struck at San Francisco.  Then the coin shipped to Denver to be struck again. And like Just Bob said lined up within a 1000ths of an inch. the die would have to pass inspection. Don't think they would put a die in with multiple S marks struck all over it. They have pretty strict quality control. So please don't believe this fairy tale that this happened. Your 42 years old.