1978 D LMC, Proof to Business?'s AKA Train wreck
3 3

241 posts in this topic

Man I’ve tried to give you advice as much as I can and many others have as well. There is nothing odd about this coin. And what does blurry pictures accomplish? Use all the creative names for it you want it’s blurring a picture to make something appear that isn’t real. It’s a normal cent with some die erosion. No one is going to change their mind and certainly won’t take your pictures as anything other than blurred messes. And saying blurry pictures on a screen is a “display” is even crazier. You said this is the second coin forum you’ve gotten unanimous feedback on. I repeat it’s a 100% normal coin and no one is going to think otherwise.  

17 hours ago, SlickCoins said:

I just wanted everyone to see what I'm seeing and get insight if this type of coin would even register as an error.

Also last thing you'd think of reflections is perfect circles with what appears to be directly in the center a mark.

I'm baffled 25+ OMM's all over the coins obverse. Of course just my opinion.

Thanks again all

This is what will be on display but better for all these are just rough drafts.

20200708_140837.jpg

So you're saying that the Mint employee responsible for adding the mm to the die hit the punch 25+ separate times?  Or do you have another theory of how there could be so many OMMs on the coin?

Edited by Oldhoopster

1 hour ago, SlickCoins said:

Well last thing but it's not gonna be my data, impacts are science.

With that said, we all have our own opinions.

From what has been posted, you do not have empirical data, merely speculations and imaginary shapes. Your posts are not science, so please don't abuse the word or methodology.

6 hours ago, SlickCoins said:

Yeah I do no not a thing about science, but they'd be able to prove how many times this penny has been impacted, with science.

That's what I should've said.

Thanks again

The penny was only impacted once. Any doubling it is showing is MD which is very common. I guarantee you out of every 20 coins you pick up one or two is going to show doubling. I seen a dozen of them last night looking thru my change with a loupe. There is nothing at all special about it. If you do send it into a lab please update us with the results. So we can say we told you so. 

7 hours ago, Morpheus1967 said:

Complete troll.   

It takes one to know one and the OP does not qualify for being summarily dismissed with this pejorative term.  Rather, I sense enthusiasm, eternal optimism and a boundless ebullience rarely seen on this site which, if anything, makes it difficult for those who characterize the Forum as Sleepy Hollow, or worse to maintain that stance.

27 minutes ago, SlickCoins said:

Yes I agree no double die here, two different finishes, again I'm new so this coin is something I can't explain.

I'm going the science route and maybe they can prove mint rod impact lighting.

Thanks again all

Keep us updated on what they tell you when they test it. 

Posted (edited)

Hey all good day, I realized I started this topic way to late, I should've shown everyone why it got to crazy level.

First I just discovered today that the 1943 Horitz and some vertical "S" silver nickel mark on this coin and is unmistakable and obviously super hard to cover below the D.

The reason why is cause I can see 6 or more S's clearly even thou they've been flattened.

Let's decipher the marks, one at a time, no crazy pics.

Thanks all

Edited by SlickCoins

Just now, SlickCoins said:

No not 6 of the nickel mark

Oh OK. I thought you was talking about s mint marks.  

Yes all together I'm seeing more than 6, just let's start with the 1943 S first for it's the biggest and yes looks to be more than 1 but let's just start here.

41 minutes ago, SlickCoins said:

Hey all good day, I realized I started this topic way to late, I should've shown everyone why it got to crazy level.

First I just discovered today that the 1943 Horitz and some vertical "S" silver nickel mark on this coin and is unmistakable and obviously super hard to cover below the D.

The reason why is cause I can see 6 or more S's clearly even thou they've been flattened.

Let's decipher the marks, one at a time, no crazy pics.

Thanks all

How did the 6 S mint marks get flattened?  Can you provide a plausible explanation of how this could occur during the minting process?  Do you think it's die related?  From the striking process?  The planchet?   Still waiting to hear your theory/explanation.  

Edited by Oldhoopster

He is still thinking this die erosion is multiple S mint marks rotated 90 degrees. His theory was someone was playing at work, and their supervisor found it and corrected it with a D over mint mark. A+ for imagination , F for plausibility. 

image.png.585b3a5a59399570a71e7d851693cc88.png

01E4D5BC-B524-4F69-B193-576963CA7FC8.jpeg

Posted (edited)

I haven't a clue to be honest with you how anything gets made. I should watch that video instead of just reading and pictures.

What I mean is the penny pressed or impacted.

Thou I speculate both, to answer the question I think it was repressed to flatten the marks and the date stayed intact hints the bottom of the 7.

Edited by SlickCoins