1978 D LMC, Proof to Business?'s AKA Train wreck
3 3

241 posts in this topic

I’m sure this will just lead to counterpoints from you, but there isn’t even a point in sending it in. It isn’t a recognized variety either by TPGs or Coneca. So you would have to start with getting it recognized as a new variety, which it isn’t. One person seeing something isn’t a variety. And everyone on this board has at one time seen something that wasn’t there. 

I truly think that there is some die deterioration that is causing some small raised areas that you are interpreting as an S. When dies wear the design can “leak” for lack of better terms where the lines aren’t crisp and the metal flows. This isn’t an error and happens on all coins to some degree as the dies are used. 

Also not to be a person_too_unaware_of_social_graces, but you will catch some grief over your spelling of die/dye. Coins are struck with dies, not dyed with coloring.   

Edited by Woods020

10 hours ago, SlickCoins said:

Proof finish to business finish, I know I've looked everywhere for anything like this hints how I found Etsy and the misfitintheattic. I'm lost also.

One more question all and thanks again, if a person was gonna attempt to authenticate something like this who would you send it to?

Thanks

Of course.

1 hour ago, l.cutler said:

Of course.

[Non-responsive.  If it is not worth the not inconsiderable cost of evaluation, you should come right out and say so.]

What color was it dyed. Lol. Just joking my friend. I agree with everyone else. Don't see nothing special. Just deteriorated dies. 

18 hours ago, SlickCoins said:

Ok again, I have come to the realization that there'd be no way for this quad error coin to be identified for these reasons.

#1 OMM's

#2 doubled dyed obverse, proof to business

#3 doubled dyed reverse, proof to business

#4 Horitz S under the D

#5 etsy sells damaged coins

#6 I'm seeing things

#7 No way this could happen

I think I pretty much covered it, you all can't and or won't ever see it. I understand

Thanks again

Doubled dyed :roflmao: :insane: 

RITL-15.jpg

RITL-15.jpg

Edited by Oldhoopster

More pictures? I’m beginning to smell a rat-zie 😂

All jokes aside the last pictures that you though weren’t good enough are by far the best. Very clearly nothing at all is indicative of a mint mark error. No need for further pictures. I assure you no one will give you a different opinion than you have already gotten. Not worth your time to continue. 

As hard as I try, I see nothing but a completely normal Lincoln cent.  Grab another cent at random and put it under the same scrutiny, if you look this closely you will find tiny anomalies in every coin.

Edited by l.cutler

What I am assuming you are thinking is excessive copper buildup is probably tarnish/environmental build up. 

As far as the rim, different colors are common. Can be multiple things. These are 95% copper and 5% zinc. The color variance can be that more of one element is more prominent on the outer part than another. Could be some wear causing certain colors to be lighter. 

As hard as it is to believe there is absolutely nothing unique about this cent. And I’m truly sorry if Etsy sellers are trying to make it into something it isn’t and convincing people. 

I do see what you are talking about above the eye.  I believe it is just a nick on the coin that happens to be on the same angle as the top of the eye.  Really, looking at coins this closely can make you see all kinds of things!

If you want to post pictures and point to exactly what you are seeing on the rim and the copper build up someone will be able to tell you exactly what you are looking at. But point to the specific areas if you can. I think a lot of the problem with people posting questions is people aren’t sure exactly what they are looking at. The rim thing you are seeing could be a ton of things as I said. Also can be misaligned die, finned rim, etc... but someone will be able to quickly identify what is catching your eye. 

And I agree with the eye ding I.cutler mentioned. It’s funny I see a lot of dings around the eyes on coins that catch my eye and make me look closer. It seems a lot of the hits there run into a design element and appear to be something. 

Edited by Woods020

Also clearly explain some of what you see and we will help all we can.  Proof finish to business finish for example.  They are two totally different things and there is no way one can become the other.  Proof coins are struck twice with specially prepared proof dies on specially prepared planchets.  Hang around and read all the posts you can.

It may just be my own ignorance, but I think playing tricks with lighting to prove a point is a fools errand. It’s probably possible to make all sorts of things appear based on light angle and reflectivity. I understand and respect that you are trying to apply other skills you possess to benefit numismatics, and who knows there may be merit, but I struggle to see how this will be accepted. Just from basic photography of coins I can say you can make coins appear very differently based on minor changes in lighting and angle. Start adding in focal plane, focus, etc and you can probably make Mona Lisa appear.

How about you do this. Instead of worrying about a new camera and techniques, put the time in the following:

1. Research mint mark errors. Look at OMMs specifically which is what you believe this is. Learn about how they happened, how/when/where mint marks are applied to dies. Look at verified examples. 

2. Stay connected on this forum and see other similar questions and answers as they come. Just observe. If you see a term or suggestion you don’t understand ask what it is or research it. 

3. Research and study machine doubling, die erosion doubling, and other common causes of perceived errors that aren’t. 

Give it 3 months. If after that time of learning and observing you still feel like this is what you believe bring it back. The coin isn’t going anywhere and I assure you no one else is about to discover what it is you think you see. When you come back we will make sure some of the top experts chime in. I’m convinced you will learn all about what you are looking at and the true causes, and if not you still learn a ton and are ensured you get more opinions with the ability to ask more detailed questions.