• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1809/(6?) Half Cent Clashed Dies

3 posts in this topic

Would this level of clashing constitute a new variety? Are there other examples known with this clash? I have looked extensively and been unable to find more information. The reverse seems to match that of a Cohen-5, in it's condition it's difficult to tell if the 6. It would only let me upload one picture but the branches are raised on the coin and the parts of "half cent" that are visible on the Obverse, in addition to being raised, are backwards, which would be expected with clashed dies. I've just never seen such an extreme example...IMG_20210402_022302501.thumb.jpg.fafb2471740e370703860d8987769055.jpg is there.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

That doesn't look like die clashing. It could be a flip-over double strike or struck over another, spoiled coin. The way to find out for certain would be to submit it as a mint error.

Thank you for taking a look! That is good to know; I am not sure if the picture shows it but "half cent" is backwards, which is why I thought it was a clash mark; I am not familiar with flip over strikes can they cause that? Thanks for your help, I think I will be sending it in on my next sub!

Edit: I messed up on the N but I think this shows the C is backwards; it is below the H and backwards

Andrew1633966211_z9LzmlV-Imgur.thumb.jpg.5a59c8eb538074501d8ea92e38e7102f.jpg

Edited by ac80