• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2014 1oz silver Canadian maple (colored)
2 2

15 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I bought this coin in 2019 without thinking (LOL). It came with no COA, no mint box, etc. All the others I've bought since are either graded or have a mint box and COA. I strongly prefer Canadian, Australian and U.S. coins 1995 or later as I know nothing about older coins.

My questions are:

1) How many were minted for this year and design (green color)? I can't find a site that lists all the newish Canadian coins with mintage and approximate value.

2) I'd like to get it graded by NGC but with the milk spots I'm guessing it wouldn't even grade at MS68. Am I right? Would grading increase the numismatic value much or am I wasting my time and money?

3) Should I just unload this thing for bullion value and find a graded/slabbed Canadian coin?

Thank You!

7_P1000993.jpg

7_P1000997.jpg

Not worth grading in my opinion. Like you said, too many milk spots. Probably cheaper to buy one already graded.

Edited by Lem E

13 minutes ago, Morpheus1967 said:

I don't believe any were minted like this.  The green was done by a third party afterwards.  

Correct,

I saw this write up for the coin. 

'Canadian Silver Maple Leaf are the one world's most recognized coin. The obverse of the coin depicts the likeness of Queen Elizabeth II, and the reverse of the coin showcases the signature Maple Leaf so closely associated with Canadian nationalism and reflective of Canadian pride. Minted in .9999 fine Silver, Canadian Silver Maple Leafs are among the purest of all Silver dollar-size coins. Note: The colourization of this coin was performed by an experienced third party company.'

There are some other very nice coins from 2014 that I remember  as well 

download.jpg.becfee5c19430f22f3f1187b10ec1273.jpg

images.jpg.7ac171a2a36743404f1ff71976ad5b07.jpg

41 minutes ago, Mel_in_PNW said:

Thanks Patriot6. This is the info I was looking for.

In your opinion, is it worth grading or am I wasting my money?

If the coins were colored by a third party, the TPG's will not grade altered coins. It is considered a damaged/altered coin. 

Thanks bsshog. I didn't know this.

So if I have any colored silver coins put out by the Royal Canadian Mint that came in a mint box, have COA, etc. those also are ungradeable???

See attached pic for example.

Caribou_bothsides.jpg

4 hours ago, Mel_in_PNW said:

Thanks bsshog. I didn't know this.

So if I have any colored silver coins put out by the Royal Canadian Mint that came in a mint box, have COA, etc. those also are ungradeable???

See attached pic for example.

Caribou_bothsides.jpg

Out of curiosity. If the coin came from the mint with the box, coa and already encapsulated in the holder, what is the reason to have it graded? Is it to sell the coin? If I am buying Canadian coins such as those, I enjoy them in their stock form from the mint with the box. I personally don't see a reason to grade such a coin, but I am curious to know why you would like to do so. You could use the grading $$ for more coins! 

6 minutes ago, Patriot6 said:

Out of curiosity. If the coin came from the mint with the box, coa and already encapsulated in the holder, what is the reason to have it graded? Is it to sell the coin? If I am buying Canadian coins such as those, I enjoy them in their stock form from the mint with the box. I personally don't see a reason to grade such a coin, but I am curious to know why you would like to do so. You could use the grading $$ for more coins! 

No this one did not come with COA or anything else. It's the only one I have that doesn't have box, COA or anything. That's why I'm considering having it graded, especially if only 2,000 were minted for this particular colorized maple leaf.

2 minutes ago, Mel_in_PNW said:

especially if only 2,000 were minted for this particular colorized maple leaf.

Gotcha. The thing is, as stated above, 2,000 were painted by a third party company, but 20,000 maples were minted that year I believe. The experts are saying the coin cannot be graded because it is altered, so I guess grading that particular coin is not possible.  

I'm sure the moose would feel better. As for QE-II....lots of miles left on the old girl.