• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how likly is it to get a rare coin in 500$ of random change
1 1

36 posts in this topic

Very unlikely to find a silver dime or quarter, anything else, even less likely.

[PS: If English is not a comfortable language, please write in your native tongue. It will be easier on all of us.]

I do check my pocket change for MS coins. I probably average less than ten total coins per month. My best finds have been merc dimes in Coinstar machines. I checked the reject box last month and some lottery playing dude was eyeballing me. lol

2 hours ago, Modwriter said:

I do check my pocket change for MS coins....

Modwriter, this is not to single you out, or anyone else for that matter, but this matter, in pertinent part as segregated above, was the subject of my recent diatribe elsewhere.

Question:  How can one expect to find Mint State coins -- which by their very definition are Uncirculated, in change, which implies in Circulation?

6 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

Wow. How long did it take you to go thru 28,000 quarters?

I don't engage in this type of activity but if I did I would screen first.  You're talking 700 rolls, each of which can be pushed out with one finger and screened quickly for their tell-tale inner copper ring. The silver quarter has a distinct brighter color and no distinct copper edge. 

Realistically, finding any silver quarters is the easy part. Re-rolling them (should you forgo a coin counting machine) is the labor-intensive, time-consuming part.

14 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Modwriter, this is not to single you out, or anyone else for that matter, but this matter, in pertinent part as segregated above, was the subject of my recent diatribe elsewhere.

Question:  How can one expect to find Mint State coins -- which by their very definition are Uncirculated, in change, which implies in Circulation?

Quintus, no worries. I have found several MS coins in change and sent them in for grading in the past. Newer coins. Perhaps the shopkeepers just cracked a new coin roll from the mint? I still have two graded dimes a 2019-D MS65FB and a 2020-D MS66FB from last year when I sent in two 10 coin submissions. I  flubbed on 2 quarters. One was bodybagged because it had a a tiny mark on it that I missed and the other came back as an XF45. I only have 4 slabbed coins left over, the others I have since sold. I DO NOT suggest to anybody to send their coins in for grading, or participate in coin cleaning threads anymore. I now ASK if they are going to submit. So far so good in 2021.

51 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Uncirculated = no visible wear, not untouched by human hands

3 hours ago, Modwriter said:

I do check my pocket change for MS coins. I probably average less than ten total coins per month. My best finds have been merc dimes in Coinstar machines. I checked the reject box last month and some lottery playing dude was eyeballing me. lol

lol

32 minutes ago, Oldhoopster said:

Thanks Oldhoopster. I get reminded of this definition a lot, but the TPG's dont ask where we find our coins that are submitted to them. Im sorry if Im breaking any coin collectors code. Parlay?

2 hours ago, Oldhoopster said:

Have you never seen wear on a lower-tier Mint State coin?  What we have now is akin to varying stages of pregnancy from conception to full term. Put another way, what's causing all the wear visible enough to make a distinction between MS-60.... MS-63.... MS-65.... MS-67 on up to MS-7O if none are supposed to exhibit it.  On a related tack, why are PROOF coins being graded at all?  Understand, I am not directing these pointed queries to you personally. I am merely trying to understand a phenomenon that's been going on for a very long time with the mutual assent of all parties.

2 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Nope, because if it has wear it isn't MS even if the TPG called it that.

I found a W mint quarter last year in pocket change. I would not have submitted it if it wasnt a W. A couple of small marks. It came back as MS64. Ended up selling it. Besides my XF45 65 GW it was the next to lowest grade that I received last year. The majority of the coins I submit are MS65 or MS66.

9 hours ago, Conder101 said:

1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Precisely.

Then why did you imply (at least from my take away) that members can't find Unc coins in circulation?  If you have a problem with market grading (which many members do), come right out and say so.  Why dance around it?  If you're straight and to the point, it results in less confusion for newer collectors on here who are trying to learn.  Just my opinion.

Emphasis is mine

13 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

12 hours ago, Conder101 said:

...and there are lots of those running around in the Emperor's new clothes.

[Well, glad we got that out of the way.  If anyone asks, tell them old Quintus is probably fussing over his Roosters...]

On 3/30/2021 at 6:07 PM, LOCK34 said:

Went through $7000 in quarters recently and found one silver quarter.

Same. But no W! Lol (Edited to say I misread the amount.)

Edited by Sharann

Posted this in another thread. From the Sheldon Coin Grading Wikipedia page.

1.  Even longtime coin collectors sometimes do not understand the difference between uncirculated (mint state) and circulated coins. The key distinction is that circulated coins show signs of wear. In this regard, it may prove helpful to review the definition of wear from the Oxford English Dictionary: wear n. - "The process or condition of being worn or gradually reduced in bulk or impaired in quality by continued use, friction, attrition, exposure to atmospheric or other natural destructive agencies; loss or diminution of substance or deterioration of quality due to these causes." [example quotation:] "This Scarcity will be farther increased by the Wear of Silver Coins, which has lessened their Weights considerably."
Edited by Modwriter
Typing error

I don't know what's up, but I'm buying rolls of Lincolns again. Hardly any shields. Alot of wheats, full of 40's and 50's. In one roll, 2 1910's, 1918 S, '13 S, '33 D, 2 54's, a '55, 61 62 63 66 69 . One roll. I went back and got a box, same thing. All 'darkies' at the end of the roles, all Loomis rolled. Of course there were some exceptions, some loaded with 70's and 80's, but highly unusual. Well, not even highly unusual, but unique in my short two year experience. My first thought was that the clerks were playing a joke on me, but no. Fun again!

There are only two possible explanations...

1.  Many an old one-time coin collector had kicked the bucket and left their accumulations to people who were unable to appreciate what they had and were not inclined to investigate the matter further as too time-consuming, or

2.  Responding to a "coin shortage," those with good intentions simply rounded up what they had and turned them in for face value. 

This may come as a surprise to some but the vast majority of people do not take the time to look at their change.  A dime is a dime and a quarter is only a quarter.  They may notice the gold-colored dollars and one-dollar bills with the funny blue seals but that's the extent of it. When I tried to pick up a few "Inverted Jenny" postage stamps, postal clerks had no idea what I was talking about with one insisting the post office would never put out a stamp with an upside-down plane on it.  (In a clever move, the post office issued an unknown number with the bi-plane right side up, and those were the rare ones this time.)  This was only a few years back and I still don't know how many of them were printed, or what they are worth.  It's possible I may have one because they came in blocks of six or eight, in sealed envelopes.