• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Napoleon iii Empereur Medal

9 posts in this topic

You've got me stumped but based on the images I would lean towards a souvenir/novelty type piece or a modified token with the loop/hook added. 

What has your closest match been so far?

36 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

You've got me stumped but based on the images I would lean towards a souvenir/novelty type piece or a modified token with the loop/hook added. 

What has your closest match been so far?

Me and my buddy looked very hard to try and find out what it was and there's nothing that popped up. I even used the reverse image search method to see if it would pop in google/being images and nothing popped up. My grandfather had it passed down to him from my Uncle Peter and my Uncle Peter got it when he was in England I believe.  

The French of that time seem to have had a fondness of medals and ribbons. I collect French Coppers and minors and have seen several unmarked generalized tokens and 'medals' made to hang off of a ribbon or string of one sort or another. I have not seen that exact one and have not met a collector of such things, that does not mean that none exist, I doubt it has any value beyond the immense and  meaningful value of the family history.

17 minutes ago, Pennies4days789 said:

My guess would be something to do with Napoleon iii being known as King Sun and the year 1810???

Want some milk on your frosted conflation flakes?  ;)

2 hours ago, Pennies4days789 said:

My guess would be something to do with Napoleon iii being known as King Sun and the year 1810???

you may want to recheck your conclusions. If memory serves Napoleon III became Emporeur of France in 1852

37 minutes ago, Moxie15 said:

you may want to recheck your conclusions. If memory serves Napoleon III became Emporeur of France in 1852

I mean it could be one of those souvenir commemorative medals from 1810??? If not 1810 what do you think the 10 stands for on the reverse side???

42 minutes ago, Pennies4days789 said:

I mean it could be one of those souvenir commemorative medals from 1810??? If not 1810 what do you think the 10 stands for on the reverse side???

French coup d'etat Dec. 1851. This was Louis Napoleon's 3rd attempt at dictatorship, but this time he was also the elected President of the Republic. Thus, he over threw himself and titled himself "Prince-President." About a year later he decided "Emperor" was better. The "10" might refer to the 10-year term of the French "presidency" under N-III's so-called constitution, or it might refer to his 10th anniversary in office (1862). Given that the number is within a glory, it is more likely the latter.

Whatever medal it is, it is of low quality and not something the Paris Mint would produce.