• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NCS conservation
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Has anyone been solicited to use the NCS conservation service by NGC?

l got an email from them saying a coin from my submission had been recommended for conservation so is said yes and that I would be charged 4% of fair market value or $25 minimum, I was excited to be charged over a $100 as this would be a good deal only to find out that the coin is only a $15 coin.  When I called they said they charged that much because I put down a high insurance value, not sure if what is supposed to happen, anyone else have thoughts.

37 minutes ago, 193$ said:

l got an email from them saying a coin from my submission had been recommended for conservation so is said yes and that I would be charged 4% of fair market value or $25 minimum, I was excited to be charged over a $100 as this would be a good deal only to find out that the coin is only a $15 coin.  When I called they said they charged that much because I put down a high insurance value, not sure if what is supposed to happen, anyone else have thoughts.

Did you know it was a $15 dollar coin when you sent it? I've used (recommended during a submission/s via email) NCS services several times and have never had an issue and have been exceedingly please with the results but I have valued my coins at FMV or just slightly above (I've never come close to being charged $100 for a coin). Not sure what value you put on this coin but NGC does not assign values to coins and is going to use what you put down. If NGC/NCS wanted to draw a line in the sand, I get it, but I'd hope that they will work with you to resolve this. Moral of the story is know what you're sending in the future. 

I didn't know it was a 15$  ,  but isn't that why we submit our coins,  to find the grade to find the value,  I am new to this but you can only guess the value,  and once they grade it it tells you the value.  i guess maybe im to new

3 hours ago, 193$ said:

Yes i have used them and at no time was i ever charged more than $11 for a coin.  of course most that i sent in were silver proofs and they came back beautiful.

You'll get the hang of it.  Most folks don't submit coins without a good idea of the value, and are sure it is going to be worth it.  Coins worth $150 or so seems to be about where people are comfortable getting them graded.  Hang around, read everything here and you'll get it.  Until then you can always post your coin to get an idea of value before making any decisions.

Expensive lesson.  So when you send in a coin what value does every one use, I guess I'm having a hard time with fair market value over insured value, there can be such a huge difference in price between a 64 and a 65,  if you use an insured value for a 65 because that's what you think its worth but it comes back a 64 you get charged for the value you write down?  then on the flip side, no pun intended, if you write down a low amount and they lose it or whatever, then you are out the opportunity? I'm not sure that makes sense.  You would think the insured value is there to hold them accountable to take care of your coin and once the process is finished, and everyone know what the grade is, then that would determine the FMV.  

If it was me I'd have to write down the higher value to cover the potential value if lost. I don't disagree with what you're saying, it would be nice, but NGC is a business and they can't take all the risk or walk everyone through the process. As others have mentioned honing your skills and posting coins here for opinions will help you the most in the future. 

Would you mind describing the coin or posting a pic of it to provide some context, $2,500 + down to $15 is quite a precipitous drop.

I was told to to return a coin for conservation owing to a clear-as-day latent thumbprint emblazoned across one side with the explanation that it should not have been encapsulated until an attempt had been made to remove it.

Quite frankly, I like the 'print and if anyone were to ask me about it, I would probably lie and say it was found among Hawley Crippen's personal effects when he fled England and was captured aboard the S.S. Montrose in 1910. -- the first time a killer had been captured af sea by use of the new Marconi wireless transmitted to Scotland Yard an inspector of whom then boarded the Laurentic a faster ship to overtake the slower Montrose waiting in port until Crippen arrived and was taken into custody with his mistress disguised as a young boy.

To those of you who frown on such tactics, I sympathize completely.

I  will post 2 coin, both from the same submission.

5936373-010

5936373-011

First one, is the one that was solicited for NCS,  its not so much the grade,  I submitted 19 coins and all came in where I thought they would except for one that was damaged, another that was cleaned and the second one I posted, but they chose that particular coin  All the coins I submitted had a high value placed on them because I was told by NGC that it was just an insured value, .  So if this is a business like you stated, why choose a coin with such low value. When the cost came back $100 I figured that it must of graded higher than I thought. 

Any way, I appreciate the feed back,  its still a cool hobby and fun to find unexpected coins