• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

whats the best way to clean a coin
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Well......I put my dirty coins in the local 7-11 parking lot for a week or two. That cleans off any corrosion. Of course, there are certain negatives to that - especially hard on proof coins..... :)

8 hours ago, proud potato said:

whats the best way to clean a coin

I use toothpaste and fingers...rub it in then any glass cleaner.....cleans off the loose debris but leaves the coins aged luster,for lack of a better term,I been using the method with ''wheaties''.

Edited by rocket23

There is no one size fits all answer. In order to clean/conserve a coin, you need to determine the following

• What do you want to remove.  Toning, corrosion, dirt, organics?
  • Which chemicals will work best for removal.  Solvents, acids, alkalis?
  • What will those chemicals do to the rest of the coin?  Will it react and be noticeable to The luster or metal surfaces
  • Estimate the condition of the surface under the stuff you want to remove.  Will it be pitted? Toned differently?
  • Are there any harmful consequences if the coin is not cleaned, (PVC residue, or bronze disease)

Basically nearly every cleaning method can result in noticeable changes to original surface of the coin.  If it's noticeable, the value of the coin will be reduced, sometimes significantly.  That's why the simple answer to new collectors is, Don't clean your coins.  It's too easy to screw it up.

If you want to practice on cheap stuff, grab some change from your pocket.  You can spend it when your done.

There is a difference between ''cleaned'' and well kept.....the toothpaste method works very well in the ''well kept'' standard........It's not that one is fooling anyone, it just puts the coin in a better light ,so to speak.imho.