I asked Bob Campbell (ROBEC) to do some images for me
1 1

20 posts in this topic

Bob is without question one of the best coin photographers around and I’m proud to say is a personal friend of mine. 
Beautiful coins and great pics. 

Edited by Buffalo Head
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen a lot of Robec’s work on the threads here. Top notch all the way. Congrats on the pics and the 02 Indian. Looks fantastic.

Link to post
Share on other sites

both sets of pictures are very nice.  i still cant take a photo no matter how many OTT lights i bought   this may be a dumb question but what set of pictures does the coin actually look like?  the first set seems to be what the coin would look like.  does the coin look like the 2nd set of pictures and not like the first??

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bob is a very good photographer, but those two images are not even close which begs the question which set of photographs does the coin actually look like?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

Bob is a very good photographer, but those two images are not even close which begs the question which set of photographs does the coin actually look like?

From the pics I have seen taken by Bob over the years, he mostly emphasizes on bringing out the actual colors of the coin. That may be why the original pics are more brown. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

From the pics I have seen taken by Bob over the years, he mostly emphasizes on bringing out the actual colors of the coin. That may be why the original pics are more brown. 

i guess i dont understand the whole concept/  if i was to buy this coin and i opened it up  would my eyes see the brown indian cent or the purple one?  to me the actual colors would be the ones your eyes see?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dollarfan said:

i guess i dont understand the whole concept/  if i was to buy this coin and i opened it up  would my eyes see the brown indian cent or the purple one?  to me the actual colors would be the ones your eyes see?

Toning and coins are odd. Different angles and light diffusion can show toning in many different ways. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A good coin photo is always a balance between our perceptions and the camera's singular view. The goal is usually to have a photo that closely resembles the coin in color and detail. Personally, I am troubled by the suppressed detail (bottom image) along the right half of the portrait - especially the headband and diamonds.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He does amazing work.  No matter how good the original pictures are, he always seems to make them even better. He is a master of capturing the color of a coin. :golfclap:

Edited by Walkerfan
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Walkerfan said:

He does amazing work.  

67 FT

 

1957dRoos_MS67FTo_05 small & 3 Rev small.png

Edited by leeg
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll just make a short comment on the color of the IHC. With the coin flat and parallel to the  lens the dominant color is blue. Brown can only be seen when the coin is tilted, which I don’t care to do. Below I took a couple of pix with my iPhone. One photo is with the iPhone and coin being parallel to each other. The result is the coin looking blue. The second if with the slab tilted about 30°. The result is the coin looking mostly brown. 
 

 

76A7A242-71D6-454D-B851-6552729C8786.jpeg

39CD4607-B67A-4B1D-B362-AC78FC8A9359.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bob,

I'm confused. The bottom photo is described as having the coin tilted, but when I copy it and past into Photoshop it is almost perfectly circular. The copy below was color corrected based on the upper right prong being neutral white. Am I reading your comments incorrectly?

Image1.jpg

Edited by RWB
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RWB said:

Bob,

I'm confused. The bottom photo is described as having the coin tilted, but when I copy it and past into Photoshop it is almost perfectly circular. The copy below was color corrected based on the upper right prong being neutral white. Am I reading your comments incorrectly?

Image1.jpg

Yep, the bottom one, the brown one, is tilted. The top one, the one that is blue, is lying flat on the table. In fact you can see the wood grain under the prongs. 

Edited by robec1347
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks all for the questions and Bob for his answers to those questions concerning the 1902 Indian Head Cent.

PF68 Cameo (Sellers Image):

3511853_Full_Obv.jpg

 

Bob's Image:

1957Jeff_PF68CamO_01 & 5 small combo.png

Edited by leeg
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, robec1347 said:

Yep, the bottom one, the brown one, is tilted. The top one, the one that is blue, is lying flat on the table. In fact you can see the wood grain under the prongs. 

If the bottom one is tilted, why is the coin almost perfectly round? It should be slightly oval. I agree that there should be no intentional distortion of image geometry. (Not trying to be a pest -- just want to understand the differences in coin color, etc.)

Edited by RWB
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure why. It was hand tilted. Here are some photos showing it tilted and not tilted with close up and with distAnce to show it being tilted. 
 

 

A68DAF97-7B65-4DDC-A70E-6818BFB97924.jpeg

CD5B8E51-99DB-428A-8548-2847E16D6905.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1