• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Find of the Day
4 4

194 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, J P Mashoke said:

Lucky me I found 2 more 81S CAM's today at another shop what is cool is one background is black and the other Blue. Did not get the $5 a peace deal this time I had to pay $7.95 a peace LOL ... Still a good deal in my book;)

1981 S Cam.jpg

1981 S Black CAM.jpg

1981 S Blue CAM.jpg

Another nice set. We are going to have to change your name from Crack Master to Mr. Proof. Or we could just use a lot of a.k.a.s :golfclap:

1 minute ago, Lem E said:

Another nice set. We are going to have to change your name from Crack Master to Mr. Proof. Or we could just use a lot of a.k.a.s :golfclap:

Jim Proof Mashoke :roflmao:

Alright JP, this is your fault! Lol I bought a 1968s proof set, our wedding year, a 1972 s proof set, my first sons birth year, and a 1974 s proof set, our youngest sons birth year. All for $27.40. Not as cheap as you got, but it will do. Now I gave a set of four including the 1976 proof set.

FA202D4D-3B55-4BB6-8019-72953269C4C3.jpeg

774BAEC4-C8AF-4F52-BF9C-F141AC04B38D.jpeg

3ACDE6A5-8C72-4C4B-8104-6D49DD0C43DF.jpeg

8 hours ago, Mr.Bill347 said:

Alright JP, this is your fault! Lol I bought a 1968s proof set, our wedding year, a 1972 s proof set, my first sons birth year, and a 1974 s proof set, our youngest sons birth year. All for $27.40. Not as cheap as you got, but it will do. Now I gave a set of four including the 1976 proof set.

FA202D4D-3B55-4BB6-8019-72953269C4C3.jpeg

774BAEC4-C8AF-4F52-BF9C-F141AC04B38D.jpeg

3ACDE6A5-8C72-4C4B-8104-6D49DD0C43DF.jpeg

Nice it may not mean much to others but it will to your family. I think you did ok at $27.40 you are still 60 cents below current market value . Plus they could go higher you never know down the road a collector may see that look of disgust that Jefferson has on his face in the 1974 set knowing he was not going to get the 1776-1976 date on his coin in 1975 & 1976. 

Edited by J P Mashoke

Son of a Gun Bill you got me thinking that I had not picked up mint sets 74, 77, 80, 98,of my 4 girls. I got three today still need a 1998 for the last one.

1974.jpg

1977.jpg

1980.jpg

I need to get a set for my birth year. Still haven't yet. I'm an 82 model. Don't think I even got an 82 in my collection at all. Actually I do think I got 1. The George Washington commerative half dollar. I think it's an 82. Pretty sure it's the only 1. I need to find me an 82 d small date copper penny. That would be a real birth year coin to have. 

On 5/5/2021 at 1:46 PM, J P Mashoke said:

Son of a Gun Bill you got me thinking that I had not picked up mint sets 74, 77, 80, 98,of my 4 girls. I got three today still need a 1998 for the last one.

1974.jpg

1977.jpg

1980.jpg

Well I found the 1998 set today it was not $5 but $7.95 is still ok in my book

1998.jpg

1998 Back (2).jpg

[Very fine keepsakes with great sentimental value. I gave most of mine away to young parents with children I knew.  Later, I would sell or trade away the rest.  At some point, I would give young parents brand new dollar coins to mark their child's birth. If a cashier does a particularly expeditious and yet thoughtful job of bagging groceries now that their employees have taken a hit in the wake of the pandemic, I will give them an Ike dollar which most have never seen before. I guess they are rarely seen in formerly Mayan/Incan territory.

There is no telling where these proof sets will go price-wise in the future. Not many were made and if the coin collector base were to expand, there wouldn't be enough of them to go  around for everyone who might want them.

I have not bought a U.S. in years and have been mulling a strategy for snagging one of the new Morgans due for release shortly.  I believe the asking price, $85., is way out of line and the proposed mintages ridiculously low but as World Colonial? intimated, having one is not a basic necessity of life.  Besides, I derive much pleasure hearing members say we each have more than enough money to live on and one even calling one of the Postmaster-General's proposals plainly idiotic.  Coin collecting is a very enjoyable endeavor.

Well we completed the set Saturday of 14 Eagles for the birthdates of the grandchildren and the wife said we are so close now we may as well finish off the set ? Are you sure 1986 to 2021 ....I said ok so we got 20 it took a while to get that many good ones now we have 7 more to find and hand picking is so time consuming. I can't believe how easily the raw coins get marked up right from the mint.  I may just order the last 7 from from one of the direct mint dealers I know. I want to get them before the price goes up again, in one week they went up $3 each. :p 

86 to 21.jpg

I believe the price of silver (as of yesterday) was up a little beyond $25.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Grammar

57 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

Kitco today says $27.50.  :gossip:

Yes  the bullion price as of 12:30 today EST is $27.55 ,but the gray book for the ASE coin price was $36 the week before and then $39 last weekend who's to say what will happen this week  

48 minutes ago, J P Mashoke said:

who's to say what will happen this week  

Not me.  Pinehurst wants 38.00 a Generic ounce.

Edited by Alex in PA.

JP,

What years are you needing? I have a bunch I may sell soon if the price goes up. The sad part is my price if I sell is under $30 if I sell in bulk. That’s to a large bullion buyer like JM or SD. If I have the years you need we can probably meet in the middle and both be happy. Now mine are business strikes and not in capsules. They are in the monster box tubes currently. I can see what years I have. 

8 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

JP,

What years are you needing? I have a bunch I may sell soon if the price goes up. The sad part is my price if I sell is under $30 if I sell in bulk. That’s to a large bullion buyer like JM or SD. If I have the years you need we can probably meet in the middle and both be happy. Now mine are business strikes and not in capsules. They are in the monster box tubes currently. I can see what years I have. 

Sorry Woods, I just got 4 of the last 7 needed coming at $39 with the airtight holders and the last 3 I will most likely get local. All these coins are BS also I just like the holders to keep them safer.

4 hours ago, J P Mashoke said:

Sorry Woods, I just got 4 of the last 7 needed coming at $39 with the airtight holders and the last 3 I will most likely get local. All these coins are BS also I just like the holders to keep them safer.

No worries. It saves me from digging for dates haha. I’ll eventually ship off a bunch if prices keep rising. But I always thought the spread for the dealers was relatively small. Seems they are making $10 spread currently between buy and sell. I like the concept of bullion but it’s a pain in the butt to eventually sell. I hate to see what shipping a monster box will cost!

10 hours ago, Woods020 said:

No worries. It saves me from digging for dates haha. I’ll eventually ship off a bunch if prices keep rising. But I always thought the spread for the dealers was relatively small. Seems they are making $10 spread currently between buy and sell. I like the concept of bullion but it’s a pain in the butt to eventually sell. I hate to see what shipping a monster box will cost!

Not everyone likes coins like me so I figure Eagles work good some years are already higher collector wise and and you can always get bullion price whatever it is I would hope.  I am thinking by the time I am gone the price will be up enough so everyone will be happy. If it keeps going the way it has in the last 3 weeks it will be $30 before you know it.

1 hour ago, J P Mashoke said:

Not everyone likes coins like me so I figure Eagles work good some years are already higher collector wise and and you can always get bullion price whatever it is I would hope.  I am thinking by the time I am gone the price will be up enough so everyone will be happy. If it keeps going the way it has in the last 3 weeks it will be $30 before you know it.

Completely agree with you. And they are beautiful to look at. And a very safe investment so far. Your grandkids will be very proud to own them I am sure. 

40 minutes ago, J P Mashoke said:

I found this in a yard sale today for $5 I will take a look and see if we have anything good or just a old kids hobby project.;)

Old Penny diplay.jpg

well the weight is ok for the coins but something is not quite rite  the 44 +45 looks plated and the others look real so why is the weight ok for the plated looking ones

S20210522_0001.jpg

S20210522_0002.jpg

S20210522_0003.jpg

S20210522_0004.jpg

S20210522_0005.jpg

S20210522_0006.jpg

S20210522_0007.jpg

S20210522_0008.jpg

Maybe it had the 2 old ones already fake in the set and then you added real ones as you got them . Not sure

57 minutes ago, J P Mashoke said:

well the weight is ok for the coins but something is not quite rite  the 44 +45 looks plated and the others look real so why is the weight ok for the plated looking ones

They were probably heavily circulated coins and the plating replaced what was lost during circulation or the planchet was at the low end or slightly under weight or the plating used and thickness is not enough to put the weight out of tolerance. Probably a combination of all three. 

1 hour ago, J P Mashoke said:

Maybe it had the 2 old ones already fake in the set and then you added real ones as you got them . Not sure

Possibly, no way of really telling unless someone can identify the set.

The 58 and 72 would make nice album coins. The 58 looks like it could have some real potential but it's hard to say for sure from the pics. 

7 hours ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

They were probably heavily circulated coins and the plating replaced what was lost during circulation or the planchet was at the low end or slightly under weight or the plating used and thickness is not enough to put the weight out of tolerance. Probably a combination of all three. 

Possibly, no way of really telling unless someone can identify the set.

The 58 and 72 would make nice album coins. The 58 looks like it could have some real potential but it's hard to say for sure from the pics. 

I will post some more when I break them out of the holders

On 5/22/2021 at 7:03 PM, J P Mashoke said:

I will post some more when I break them out of the holders

I am having fun with this old set. Most of the pennies are real nice and FS others ended up with some spots on them inside the holders. I found a 68 D that is what I think they call ghosting where you can see the impression of Lincoln's head on the reverse. That's kinda cool

S20210523_0003.jpg

S20210523_0007.jpg

S20210523_0004.jpg

On 5/22/2021 at 11:40 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

The 58is the nicest one Mike. They are all clean but dings + some rust spots messed with a few.  Most of them are shiny coppers being in holders for so long. I have some with FS but they are not perfect some scratches or bag marks. One 68-D ghost and one 66 toner.  But still a yard sale fun find. I will through up some of the shots for you all to see.    

S20210524_0001.jpg

S20210524_0002.jpg

S20210522_0020.jpg

S20210522_0019.jpg

S20210524_0003.jpg

S20210524_0004.jpg

S20210523_0009.jpg

S20210523_0010.jpg