• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Find of the Day
4 4

194 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, J P Mashoke said:

Well today the wife and I went coin shopping at a real nice coin shop in Nashville and we got some big coins. My wife said what are the shiny coins over there?

So we decided to get two of them ,the first year and the last year 

1986.jpg

2021.jpg

First and last years.jpg

Looks like some nice ones. Im sure there are plenty of “shiny” coins you can show your wife if she is that easy to please. Show her some shiny early mercs or walkers. Gold shines very nice too. (thumbsu

Edited by Lem E

6 minutes ago, Lem E said:

Looks like some nice ones. Im sure there are plenty of “shiny” coins you can show your wife if she is that easy to please. Show here some shiny early mercs or walkers. Gold shines very nice too. (thumbsu

She did like the gold I think that will be next on the list. I am in luck she had a good time looking at the coins. a $1299.00 gold Indian head did catch her eye

1 minute ago, J P Mashoke said:

She did like the gold I think that will be next on the list. I am in luck she had a good time looking at the coins. a $1299.00 gold Indian head did catch her eye

I would take full advantage of that while the gettin is good my friend. Sounds like she has good taste.

11 hours ago, Lem E said:

I would take full advantage of that while the gettin is good my friend. Sounds like she has good taste.

We had a good time and I think we got a good enough deal at $35 a coin. I had a option of 3 cases and decided on this one it was more money but it made the coin more presentable and held the coin tighter than the other type cases.

Well another nice find today a antique dealer had some nice commemorative coins so I picked up this anniversary issue of the Boy Scouts of America for $25

2010 BSA.jpg

47 minutes ago, J P Mashoke said:

Well another nice find today a antique dealer had some nice commemorative coins so I picked up this anniversary issue of the Boy Scouts of America for $25

["....claims against Boy Scouts now surpass 82,000," The New York Times, Nov. 16, 2020.....bankruptcy. Sad.]

9 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

["....claims against Boy Scouts now surpass 82,000," The New York Times, Nov. 16, 2020.....bankruptcy. Sad.]

Yes it is sad that people can take something innocent and turn it into something dark, The organisation trained young men to be your best do your duty and be respectable to others it was a American Legacy, I was a Boy Scout before all the hoopla and one of my Grandsons just got his Eagle Scout Award not long ago. I am not into commemorative coins (so far LoL) but i was a good deal. So this will be his coin after I am gone.  

On 3/19/2021 at 12:25 PM, J P Mashoke said:

Ya I got to thinking about it last night. The guy at the antique shop I go to is a old coin collector and what if he got the set I bought along with the other 3 years in the Susan B Anthony years 1979 1980 and 1981 and what if they were all CAM What a set of coins that would be. LOL ....... Well Guess what.....................They are ^^ so I bought what was left...

All 3 years.jpg

Will I am a happy camper today. Normally mint sets don't go up much but remember those sets I bought for $5 a piece well the 1979 type 2 sets went and the type 2 1981 went way up that's cool .

4792 1979-S Proof Set, Type 1 PR 11

904793 1979-S Proof Set, Type 2 PR 55

904794 1980-S Proof Set PR 7

904795 1981-S Proof Set, Type 1 PR 7

904796 1981-S Proof Set, Type 2 PR 315

I don't know if you know this, but when a proof die was made, it would be sand blasted to a frosty finish, then , because the fields are the high points on a die, the fields are polished to a mirror shine.  The first few coins stamped with new dies will show this "cameo" contrast, but then the normal metal flow during the stamping will burnish the frosted surfaces of the die leaving the entire coin looking shiney and mirror-like.  Sometimes the mint would re-polish the dies if they got worn to remove these "flow lines" that show in the fields mostly, but usually the devices were left mirror like.  Then, in 1975 (I think) the mint started doing die maintenance where if the contrast started dropping off, they would remove the dies, re-sand blast them, then re-polish the fields, so most proof coins after 1974 were deep cameos and the lighter cameo coins were not as common and undesirable by collectors.  The haze that develops on these proofs is quite common, but is a type of environmental damage.  It can be removed with careful conservation, but I wouldn't do it yourself.  Any tiny little mark, spot, or damage of any kind will keep it from being graded at the top level, so if your coins have anything visible, I wouldn't bother sending them in.

1 hour ago, dleonard-3 said:

I don't know if you know this, but when a proof die was made, it would be sand blasted to a frosty finish, then , because the fields are the high points on a die, the fields are polished to a mirror shine.  The first few coins stamped with new dies will show this "cameo" contrast, but then the normal metal flow during the stamping will burnish the frosted surfaces of the die leaving the entire coin looking shiney and mirror-like.  Sometimes the mint would re-polish the dies if they got worn to remove these "flow lines" that show in the fields mostly, but usually the devices were left mirror like.  Then, in 1975 (I think) the mint started doing die maintenance where if the contrast started dropping off, they would remove the dies, re-sand blast them, then re-polish the fields, so most proof coins after 1974 were deep cameos and the lighter cameo coins were not as common and undesirable by collectors.  The haze that develops on these proofs is quite common, but is a type of environmental damage.  It can be removed with careful conservation, but I wouldn't do it yourself.  Any tiny little mark, spot, or damage of any kind will keep it from being graded at the top level, so if your coins have anything visible, I wouldn't bother sending them in.

I thank you for that information I appreciate all the help I get here from all the members. Most of the members tell me buy what you like.  I do not plan on touching any of these sets I have collected. I find the ones I like and put them away for my wife and grandchildren's future. All of the sets I have I picked up  below market. Most of them never climb very high in valuable, actually a lot of them get lower in price. Sometimes you get lucky and find a sets that people are looking for I know of a antique dealer who had a few of the 1981 type 2 proof sets sitting in boxes for $5 a piece you cant go wrong at that price. Some of the coins do have that haze and may not bring full market value without restoration but for now they look real cool and can hang out at my place until they are needed.     

7 Type 2 1981 proof sets.jpg

On 3/29/2021 at 2:19 PM, J P Mashoke said:

I do have a question for those here familiar with the flat packs. This 1957 proof set has more of a modern shinny coat of silver unlike my 1963 proof set which is more of a flatter silver coat finish?

Perhaps they were getting ready in 1963 to stop doing proof sets and just got lazy. Anyone have any thoughts on that??? 

1957.jpg

1963 Proof front.jpg

Over the years the mint changed their minting for proof coins they made fully struck proofs , Cameos , satin proof, reverse proof.  (Nothing do with getting lazy) they were trying make something different for collectors see what they like . I like the satin proofs , I have a gold 2016-W Mercury dime really like the soft satiny look on the gold coins

16 hours ago, J P Mashoke said:

Will I am a happy camper today. Normally mint sets don't go up much but remember those sets I bought for $5 a piece well the 1979 type 2 sets went and the type 2 1981 went way up that's cool .

4792 1979-S Proof Set, Type 1 PR 11

904793 1979-S Proof Set, Type 2 PR 55

904794 1980-S Proof Set PR 7

904795 1981-S Proof Set, Type 1 PR 7

904796 1981-S Proof Set, Type 2 PR 315

Being a mint set and proof set collector I have to agree doe the most part they do not increase much as a whole. There are some notable exceptions. The 1981 proof set and any of the 2012 set make up for all the other set I have, 

55 minutes ago, Jason Abshier said:

I have a gold 2016-W Mercury dime really like the soft satiny look on the gold coins.

The soft satiny look on mine, sorry to say, does not in any way. compensate for the noticeable lack of detail. Matter of fact, it ranks #1 on all the superficial proof artifacts I intend to divest myself of as its low desirability factor precludes gifting to anyone I truly admire and respect.

JP you must be doing something right! My wife only buys clothing. Sweet that she buys you proof sets. A great collection you have. I don’t think it would warrant sending in though.

don’t end up like this guy. On eBay there are tons of these priced from 4-12.00 

each. I bought the one 1976 bicentennial set,  it that is all I am getting for now.

had a bunch of them years ago, but decided to liquidate my collection and didn't get but 4 or 5 bucks for them. I must have had 10-15 sets. That’s why I don’t want to fall into that annual thing again.

1B9199D8-1779-45C6-9582-C1BC9D047BA0.jpeg

@Mr.Bill347 I am not saying this to buoy your hopes, but there is a generational aspect to coin collecting.  When my sets, with the exception of the earlier ones, remained stable, I gave away a few to friends whose children were born on those dates. Thing is, you never really know when someone astute suddenly discovers these sets are undervalued -- and prices rise.  Naturally, if an interesting anomaly is discovered, the dates involved skyrocket. It is possible your children may be the unwitting beneficiaries if a date or series is re-discovered.  BTW, how many collectors bother to take a cold, hard look at their sets with loupe and such?

6 hours ago, Mr.Bill347 said:

JP you must be doing something right! My wife only buys clothing. Sweet that she buys you proof sets. A great collection you have. I don’t think it would warrant sending in though.

don’t end up like this guy. On eBay there are tons of these priced from 4-12.00 

each. I bought the one 1976 bicentennial set,  it that is all I am getting for now.

had a bunch of them years ago, but decided to liquidate my collection and didn't get but 4 or 5 bucks for them. I must have had 10-15 sets. That’s why I don’t want to fall into that annual thing again.

1B9199D8-1779-45C6-9582-C1BC9D047BA0.jpeg

Ya she likes coins now

I posted before that My wife liked the Silver Eagles we got in TN.. So she said to get one coin for every date a Grandchild and Great Grandchild was born so Wednesday I ordered 14 of them and went to pick them up today 70 miles away. Well when I got there they were all ready set aside for me. I asked if I could inspect them first and they said sure. Granted these are mostly older coins I ordered, but out of the 14 coins 10 were scratched or had some toning spots or ticks on them. I hope I did not make anyone mad at me but I asked for replacements. They made a trip to the store room once and 6 came back good .I sent the bad ones back and they came back with 2 more good ones. Out of the original order for 14 We ended up with 8 good Eagles and I bought the nice holders for them also . I apologized for being such a fussy B and the dealer laughed. I said ya that is kinda funny I am sure lots of collectors are. I told him I would call Monday and put in a replacement order for the ones that were bad. I have to say these guys and gals went all out to make it right for me and my wife. 

Does anyone think I was to fussy ?? I am eventually (coughs,, My Wife is)  going to have the full collection and scratched coins are not on my list.  

New Kids.jpg

43 minutes ago, J P Mashoke said:

Ya she likes coins now

My wife don’t care for my coin collection , my kids don’t either , however my wife buys a lot exotic plants she once spent $700 on some kind of crossbred tropical plant she put it on my Credit card she got a lot heart we have so many plants in this house it looks like a tropical rainforest ! She also sells some plants on eBay as well there a market for them 

8 minutes ago, J P Mashoke said:

I posted before that My wife liked the Silver Eagles we got in TN.. So she said to get one coin for every date a Grandchild and Great Grandchild was born so Wednesday I ordered 14 of them and went to pick them up today 70 miles away. Well when I got there they were all ready set aside for me. I asked if I could inspect them first and they said sure. Granted these are mostly older coins I ordered, but out of the 14 coins 10 were scratched or had some toning spots or ticks on them. I hope I did not make anyone mad at me but I asked for replacements. They made a trip to the store room once and 6 came back good .I sent the bad ones back and they came back with 2 more good ones. Out of the original order for 14 We ended up with 8 good Eagles and I bought the nice holders for them also . I apologized for being such a fussy B and the dealer laughed. I said ya that is kinda funny I am sure lots of collectors are. I told him I would call Monday and put in a replacement order for the ones that were bad. I have to say these guys and gals went all out to make it right for me and my wife. 

Does anyone think I was to fussy ?? I am eventually (coughs,, My Wife is)  going to have the full collection and scratched coins are not on my list.  

New Kids.jpg

I don’t think being “fussy” is an issue when you are making a purchase. As collectors we always want the best we can get. You had every right to ask for better if they had them. I say kudos, and don’t settle for anything but what you think your hard earned money is worth.

34 minutes ago, Lem E said:

I don’t think being “fussy” is an issue when you are making a purchase. As collectors we always want the best we can get. You had every right to ask for better if they had them. I say kudos, and don’t settle for anything but what you think your hard earned money is worth.

That's the spirit!

1 hour ago, J P Mashoke said:

New Kids.jpg

Well they are all safe and cozy now

eagle holders.jpg

1 minute ago, J P Mashoke said:

Well they are all safe and cozy now

eagle holders.jpg

Very nice :golfclap:

5 minutes ago, Mr.Bill347 said:

Nice JP! Great idea. 

For a Dollar each you bet, the gasket holds the coin from moving around and they snap together tight so you can handle the coin with no worries and you can take them apart if need be.

This is my first Girlfriend the lady who started this whole thing she was in my old coin tin. She is a bit beat up but we been together since 1962. I think the tin is worth more than the lady LoL it is a WWII 100 count Chesterfield cigarette can 

S20210501_0005.jpg

S20210501_0007.jpg

Old Tin.jpg

8 hours ago, J P Mashoke said:

This is my first Girlfriend the lady who started this whole thing she was in my old coin tin. She is a bit beat up but we been together since 1962. I think the tin is worth more than the lady LoL it is a WWII 100 count Chesterfield cigarette can 

S20210501_0005.jpg

S20210501_0007.jpg

Old Tin.jpg

A monogrammed coin tin! I have never seen one of these before and wouldn't know where to get one if I did. And I am sure, when filled, they carry a hefty weight. Nice antique!

10 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

A monogrammed coin tin! I have never seen one of these before and wouldn't know where to get one if I did. And I am sure, when filled, they carry a hefty weight. Nice antique!

My Dad was in the Navy in WWII on a Sub Chaser. He was the chief cook so when they weren't  Hunting or cooking the guys would make things out of what ever was junk on the ship . He took a cigarette can and some leather and some punch tools and made this for himself. He showed me stuff the guys would make like carvings and stuff made out of silver coins it was amazing the things they could make. I got the tin because we have the same name JPM;)   

Lucky me I found 2 more 81S CAM's today at another shop what is cool is one background is black and the other Blue. Did not get the $5 a peace deal this time I had to pay $7.95 a peace LOL ... Still a good deal in my book;)

1981 S Cam.jpg

1981 S Black CAM.jpg

1981 S Blue CAM.jpg