• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Find of the Day
4 4

194 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, dleonard-3 said:

I like early Lincoln cameos.  These all seem to have that factory haze, which is a problem.  I wonder what NCS could do for these.

For you dleonard-3 .................I love them all for $5     ..Oh the scratches are on the plastic of the case it is in.

S20210318_0003.jpg

S20210318_0002.jpg

Edited by J P Mashoke

I love the all and the dark backgrounds on some accentuate the positive aspects of all.  That Jefferson is something else. Fantastic find!

8 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

Nice find my friend. That's got some dandys in it. That's a real price tag on em. 

I took a shot just for you Hoghead. hope ya like it. The bird is way cool GW is not bad looking for a old guy.  

S20210318_0013.jpg

S20210318_0009.jpg

1 minute ago, J P Mashoke said:

I took a shot just for you Hoghead. hope ya like it. The bird is way cool GW is not bad looking for a old guy.  

S20210318_0013.jpg

S20210318_0009.jpg

That is a beautiful quarter. Love that cameo. That was a very nice find. 

1 minute ago, Hoghead515 said:

That is a beautiful quarter. Love that cameo. That was a very nice find. 

Ya I got lucky on that set. I may send it in to be graded. Does NGC do whole sets Or do you have to break it up??

4 hours ago, Mr.Bill347 said:

Cool! I just bought a bicentennial proof set(1976) for $10. Seems to be the way to go.

Ya I got to thinking about it last night. The guy at the antique shop I go to is a old coin collector and what if he got the set I bought along with the other 3 years in the Susan B Anthony years 1979 1980 and 1981 and what if they were all CAM What a set of coins that would be. LOL ....... Well Guess what.....................They are ^^ so I bought what was left...

All 3 years.jpg

Some fun facts  I looked up. So you see I bought 2 of the 1979 sets . Well in 79 and 81 they had  2 types of mint marks the 79 box S mint die went bad after half the year so half way through they made a new die with a bolder looking S they started putting that on the lower denomination coins first then moved up to the bigger coins later on. So each of the 1979 sets are different  one has the box S and one has the bold S on the small coins. Oh also the cameo backs are black on the 1979 coins except for one of the Susan's is blue on the back. You can see them here  

S20210319_0005.jpg

S20210319_0004.jpg

S20210319_0006.jpg

S20210319_0007.jpg

S20210319_0010.jpg

S20210319_0011.jpg

S20210319_0018.jpg

S20210319_0016.jpg

S20210319_0017.jpg

S20210319_0015.jpg

So now the big question please ,to you members that have sent coins in for grading is. Should I send one of these old CAM sets in and have the coins graded individually. Does NGC break the set for grading or grade a whole set the way it is.

I am guessing it will cost around $300 for 6 coins and would it be worth it. Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

Thanks Jim. 

All 3 years.jpg

4 hours ago, Mr.Bill347 said:

Jim. You got me thinking and I bought a sweet 1976 Proof set. and a graded 1971 s SBA.

IMG-0649.jpg

I am just not sure if they want the coins in the case for them to be removed professionally of if you have to remove them.  I have a couple of those also Mr. Bill . One of my favorite years for Bicentennials 1975+1976 

1776-1976 set.jpg

2 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

No not worth the cost.

Thanks Coinbuf. I was not sure the return would warrant the cost. Even for a CAM it is not a lot $$$ on places like Ebay and or Heritage

If you received grades of PR70DCAM for all the type 2 coins then maybe you could eek out a small profit.   But many of the photos show the coins to be hazy and those would need conservation before grading.   My suggestion is to enjoy them as they are.

My wife got me a present today another silver set 1994. This is the sister to the other set I got at the same antique store. They have been in the same display case for years side by side .

This one is not quite as nice as the 1996 set I bought it has a few more nicks and scratches but at least the family is back together again and on display in my place..  LoL   

1994 Premier Silver Proof Set.jpg

1994 50c proof.jpg

1994 10 + 25c proof.jpg

1994 1 + 5c Proof.jpg

1 minute ago, J P Mashoke said:

My wife got me a present today another silver set 1994. This is the sister to the other set I got at the same antique store. They have been in the same display case for years side by side .

This one is not quite as nice as the 1996 set I bought it has a few more nicks and scratches but at least the family is back together again and on display in my place..  LoL   

1994 Premier Silver Proof Set.jpg

1994 50c proof.jpg

1994 10 + 25c proof.jpg

1994 1 + 5c Proof.jpg

You're quickly becoming the proof set king JP, keep it rolling.

2 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

You're quickly becoming the proof set king JP, keep it rolling.

Ya thanks Mike. I know these sets are not big money returns, but I like them and we are paying less than there market price. Well Market price today!!!  next week who knows LoL

39 minutes ago, J P Mashoke said:

Well my wife got me another present this morning that she put with my Birthday card now you guys can guess how old I am. 

1957.jpg

@J P Mashoke, I love Proof sets. They are what I started my collection with. I have all the sets from 1965 to 2021. The silver proof sets that came out starting in 1992 made a great addition to my collection The 57 set is one of my favorite. Maybe because  it tells my age too.

47 minutes ago, Rummy13 said:

@J P Mashoke, I love Proof sets. They are what I started my collection with. I have all the sets from 1965 to 2021. The silver proof sets that came out starting in 1992 made a great addition to my collection The 57 set is one of my favorite. Maybe because  it tells my age too.

Ya Rummy13  I have always saved odd coins but this year I started buying proof and mint sets they are a cheap way for me to get into collecting. Maybe down the road I will find a deal on some of the bigger coins but for now I am having fun. 

I do have a question for those here familiar with the flat packs. This 1957 proof set has more of a modern shinny coat of silver unlike my 1963 proof set which is more of a flatter silver coat finish?

Perhaps they were getting ready in 1963 to stop doing proof sets and just got lazy. Anyone have any thoughts on that??? 

1957.jpg

1963 Proof front.jpg

Edited by J P Mashoke

On 3/20/2021 at 5:43 PM, Coinbuf said:

If you received grades of PR70DCAM for all the type 2 coins then maybe you could eek out a small profit.   But many of the photos show the coins to be hazy and those would need conservation before grading.   My suggestion is to enjoy them as they are.

My sentiments exactly [and not because Kurt or Conder may be looking over my shoulder.]