• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Die cracks on Washington Quarters
1 1

42 posts in this topic

I was wondering why the dies cracked so bad on the early Washington quarters?  I had been looking at several of them and noticed a few.  Most are cracked right close to the top of Washington's head. Is it the design that makes it weaker near that area for some reason?  I noticed most of the ones I saw were 1955s also, for some odd reason. I own two of them with small cracks. I seen a 1955 for sell that NGC recognized the crack on the label. And it's right in the same area. Here's pictures of my two.  The first coin also has a crack at the bottom right.  The second coin is just a small one but it is definitely a small crack. Thought it may have been a scratch at first and I examined it under a microscope. Polish_20210315_125848846.jpg.81a5fd424b9755bd987b7fb0c824186d.jpgPolish_20210318_113231207.jpg.b2945554ad4e98962590d35967fb6575.jpg

probably not due to just one simple reason...most likely combination of diff causes...die fatigue, die erosion, possibly extra striking pressure coupled with both, design stress...many variables n possible combinations....but even if could identify the exact cause raises question of why in that location of the die....back to possible design stress...not knowledgeable enuf to scientifically answer, just off my head speculation...but both ur quarters r nice examples n the die cracks add to their interesting eye appeal...mite have been all that stress at valley forge that caused george to crack a bit...

15 minutes ago, zadok said:

probably not due to just one simple reason...most likely combination of diff causes...die fatigue, die erosion, possibly extra striking pressure coupled with both, design stress...many variables n possible combinations....but even if could identify the exact cause raises question of why in that location of the die....back to possible design stress...not knowledgeable enuf to scientifically answer, just off my head speculation...but both ur quarters r nice examples n the die cracks add to their interesting eye appeal...mite have been all that stress at valley forge that caused george to crack a bit...

George had all he could take. :roflmao:Thank you for the info. I was noticing that as I was looking thru them and it caught my attention.  There is a really nice one that I would really love to get if they still have it by time I scratch the money up. NGC recognized it on the label and it looks like it could possibly be a later stage of one of them I already have. It's in the same spot and got the same shape. May be a different one but it sure fooled me. Would be neat to own 2 coins with the same crack. 

I’ve been searching rolls this week. Not something I do often. But I’ve noticed a large amount of die chips on recent year dimes as well. Somewhere between 2017 and 2019 Roosevelt developed both acne and cold sores pretty badly. Seems a mint die lives a pretty rough life. 

5 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

I was wondering why the dies cracked so bad on the early Washington quarters?  I had been looking at several of them and noticed a few.  Most are cracked right close to the top of Washington's head. Is it the design that makes it weaker near that area for some reason?  I noticed most of the ones I saw were 1955s also, for some odd reason. I own two of them with small cracks. I seen a 1955 for sell that NGC recognized the crack on the label. And it's right in the same area. Here's pictures of my two.  The first coin also has a crack at the bottom right.  The second coin is just a small one but it is definitely a small crack. Thought it may have been a scratch at first and I examined it under a microscope. Polish_20210315_125848846.jpg.81a5fd424b9755bd987b7fb0c824186d.jpgPolish_20210318_113231207.jpg.b2945554ad4e98962590d35967fb6575.jpg

Some dandy fine GWs HogH. 

I got to liking the GWs pretty good. Especially the ones that have character to them. I like when the portrait of Washington is solid white and the fields have a very light toning. And gets darker around the rim. I'm a sucker for those if I can find them. 

I like those sore head George's also. Hopefully I can save the money up and get that one I saw.  I really think it was struck off the same die as the second picture above. 

6 minutes ago, errorist said:

Never really know when the die will break. It could be after the first coin struck. It could be because of improper annealing..

What had me stumped most of all was why most of them was cracked up by the top of his head. Must be in the design. Made a weak spot in that area. RWBs book had all kinds of cool information on how dies were made, annealed, and  cooled in various ways to help keep them from cracking. There's something about that spot on his head that's hard on the dies. 

1 minute ago, Hoghead515 said:

What had me stumped most of all was why most of them was cracked up by the top of his head. Must be in the design. Made a weak spot in that area. RWBs book had all kinds of cool information on how dies were made, annealed, and  cooled in various ways to help keep them from cracking. There's something about that spot on his head that's hard on the dies. 

It could be the point where the pressure is highest..

Just now, errorist said:

It could be the point where the pressure is highest..

That probably what it is. That makes a whole lot of sense. Never thought about that. 

2 minutes ago, errorist said:

How about a wounded Sacagawea??

Screenshot_20210318-195735_Gallery.jpg

That's a very sweet die crack. There's just something about them die cracks that does it for me. I enjoy them. Plan on owning more in the future. 

2 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

That's a very sweet die crack. There's just something about them die cracks that does it for me. I enjoy them. Plan on owning more in the future. 

BTW that's on a proof.. :)

47 minutes ago, errorist said:

Another wounded eagle sac.. Proof.. 

Screenshot_20210318-200950_Gallery.jpg

You got some very nice coins. I love how those die cracks go plum to the edge of the rim. Very cool. Hopefully I can find a pre 64 GW like that. I'm gonna be on the hunt. I'm gonna scratch and dig and maybe even do some crying and begging to try and get the money for that one I found. I fell in love with it.  And gonna pray they don't sell it before I get the money. If they do end up selling it I'm gonna be very happy for the person who ends up buying it. It is a sweet looker. Whoever gets it is gonna have a good one in their collection. 

13 hours ago, Woods020 said:

I’ve been searching rolls this week. Not something I do often. But I’ve noticed a large amount of die chips on recent year dimes as well. Somewhere between 2017 and 2019 Roosevelt developed both acne and cold sores pretty badly. Seems a mint die lives a pretty rough life. 

I found one in my change last night. A 2021 that has a die chip right at Roosevelt's nose hole.  Looks like he's got a boog  there.   Perfectly placed. Then it got a small one running down from it to his mouth.  I put it back and saved it. It was very cool.  

7 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

I found one in my change last night. A 2021 that has a die chip right at Roosevelt's nose hole.  Looks like he's got a boog  there.   Perfectly placed. Then it got a small one running down from it to his mouth.  I put it back and saved it. It was very cool.  

I’ve kept a few like that. Poor Roosevelt has all kinds of facial issues on the dimes these days