• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone looked at Etsy?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I was unaware until recently that coins were sold on Etsy. I was searching for a coin and an Etsy listing popped up. Out of curiosity I went through some listings. If you think eBay is bad, Etsy is absurd. A site full of counterfeits and so called rarities listed for astronomical prices. I’m sure there are some legitimate listings, but that site has a serious problem. 

15 hours ago, Woods020 said:

I was unaware until recently that coins were sold on Etsy. I was searching for a coin and an Etsy listing popped up. Out of curiosity I went through some listings. If you think eBay is bad, Etsy is absurd. A site full of counterfeits and so called rarities listed for astronomical prices. I’m sure there are some legitimate listings, but that site has a serious problem. 

No, I haven't, but if I'm ever in the market for phony coins, Counterfeitsy would be my first choice.

1 hour ago, JKK said:

No, I haven't, but if I'm ever in the market for phony coins, Counterfeitsy would be my first choice.

It’s sad. There really should be some oversight. Although I guess it makes sense in some ways that so many home made creations would be for sale on a craft sight 😂

As mentioned, Etsy is a big NO for coin browsing. Some people, me included, won't even bother with Ebay. A lot of legit selling and buying goes on at Ebay, but buyers beware of raw pieces. The reason I don't use Ebay is because there's so many other places, Great Collections, on and on, etc... It's sad to see some of the coins for sale, knowing that someone is going to buy that 1955 doubled die for $440  thinking they did well, post it here, and get the bad news. Everyone is responsible for themselves, I know that, it just irks me that I can't jump through the computer screen and take care of business. So that's why I don't even browse there for humor, I don't want to set myself up for bad feelings, and ruin a great day.. So there, got that off my chest. LOL...... 

At the very real risk of having my non-existent credentials from an unaccredited institution challenged by the OP, I would like to offer a second opinion on Etsy. Common sense dictates I defer to others with proven expertise on the matter of oddities and curiosities, such as our highly-regarded (and sorely-missed Ratzie33) but rather than avoid clear and present dangers clothed in respectability, I believe everyone, time allowing, should investigate 🔎 the site and form his own opinion.

Like some, I have seen an otherwise unremarkable Lincoln Cent offered for a firm $5,000. Date? A 1940's "Wheatie." Condition: AG, would be generous. So, what's the punch👊line? There is none. The owner uses descriptors like "rare" "scarce" and "only 1 left" urging buyers to snatch it up before it's gone forever.

Has the seller lied? No. Has he misrepresented his item? No. Has he engaged in an unlawful and illegal act? No.  

What is seen and how it is interpreted is strictly in the eyes of the beholder.

Unfortunately, Etsy has some unscrupulous sellers.....however, not all of them are. It is an easy platform to list and sell on. I sell on Etsy myself....have nearly 900 coin listings, and get calls from people all the time about folks having coins they saw on Etsy for gadzooks amount of money. Sucks to have to disappoint them, but i tell them where and how to look up their coins so they are better informed. That also helps them be able to look up my inventory and see that they aren't getting ripped off or suckered. I can't change the bad guys...but i don't have to be one of them.