• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Back after 10 Years and just cherry picked my best coin ever!
1 1

17 posts in this topic

Well either that local dealer is not very observant or you have a fake as from that photo I have some doubts on the shape of the two, fingers crossed that its the first and welcome back to the hobby.

I'm fairly confident on the authenticity, the photo was taken on my potato of a camera. In his coffee can of "junk mercury dimes" we pulled out a 16-S barber dime, and a few better date mercs like a 17-S. Not sure if he had a collection dump and hadn't sorted or what. 

Welcome back to the Forum. You will not remember me; I am a relative newcomer.

If you are in need of a '37 Merc (coin not car!) I would be happy to send you one free of charge.  It is the only one I have kept.  It is in roughly the same condition as your '21D and in need of a new home as I no longer collect U.S. coins.

Welcome back home!

On 3/15/2021 at 1:23 PM, RCBEGA said:

About ten years ago I made the difficult decision to leave the hobby, I was just not in a place in my life to collect anymore. About a month ago my soon to be 9 year old daughter found some of my leftover coins and became interested. I decided to dip my toe back into the hobby and help her assemble a whitman book of Mercury dimes (the set I started with as a kid). Today we hit the local coin shops in hunt of some circulated book fillers. While looking through junk silver I ran across this. That's right friends, for the low price of $2.20 my daughter and I are now the proud owners of a 21-D Merc.....needless to say she is on the way to NGC as I type this. 

It feels really good to be back in the hobby! 

20210315_150832.jpg

20210315_150813 (1).jpg

You did really good!

OMG😱

54619C1C-2977-4758-A043-82512A2C38F2.gif

[I wish Joan "Can we talk?" Rivers, the stand-up comic and talk show host, were still alive so we could really get to the bottom of some of the anything but constructive criticism lobbed cryptically with complete abandon on this site.

For example, the unsupported allegation by one observer that the coin appears to be a fake and having doubts on the shape of the two. In what respect? Elaborate!

Or, again supported by no evidence, having doubts as to the authenticity or genuineness of a coin and having "strong doubts" that it "looks fake." How is that being helpful?

Then, the coup de grace. Holding back nothing, a member, apparently forgetting he is addressing his remarks to a member who will be directing them at his fledgling daughter, intones: "The coin looks a bit strange to me," again without saying how or why. If you are inclined to render a diagnosis, kindly provide a summary of symptoms. 

When we take the time to offer a comment or observation, let us try to be a little more helpful and informative -- and mindful of the special bond nine years in the making between father and daughter.  And if the matter deserves further investigation or inquiry, state the reason why.  It is the least we can do for one of our own as we welcome him back into the fold after a prolonged absence.]

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Missing closing bracket

7 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

[I wish Joan "Can we talk?" Rivers, the stand-up comic and talk show host, were still alive so we could really get to the bottom of some of the anything but constructive criticism lobbed cryptically with complete abandon on this site.

For example, the unsupported allegation by one observer that the coin appears to be a fake and having doubts on the shape of the two. In what respect? Elaborate!

Or, again supported by no evidence, having doubts as to the authenticity or genuineness of a coin and having "strong doubts" that it "looks fake." How is that being helpful?

Then, the coup de grace. Holding back nothing, a member, apparently forgetting he is addressing his remarks to a member who will be directing them at his fledgling daughter, intones: "The coin looks a bit strange to me," again without saying how or why. If you are inclined to render a diagnosis, kindly provide a summary of symptoms. 

When we take the time to offer a comment or observation, let us try to be a little more helpful and informative -- and mindful of the special bond nine years in the making between father and daughter.  And if the matter deserves further investigation or inquiry, state the reason why.  It is the least we can do for one of our own as we welcome him back into the fold after a prolonged absence.]

I thank you for the very kind words. 

I can understand suspicion, as I stated I took the photo with a  poor quality camera in bad light (I've since upgraded) to make matters more interesting I found another 21-D in the same bucket of "junk silver" a few days later. (Picture attached) 

I also never mentioned my credentials, as a younger man I was a professional numismatist. In fact I was the youngest ever hired by Heritage auctions. 

Now, could the coin in question be fake? Of course. But I do not believe it to be. We shall find out soon enough. 

20210323_184717.jpg

20210323_184743.jpg

[We've got two Denver '21 Mercs parked on this site. The interesting thing is the 2 in each, at least to my eyes, appear absolutely, positively identical.  It will be interesting to hear what the pathologists have to say about the one shipped off for authentication]