• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

With the virus dying down and states opening -- what coin show is top on your list?
1 1

51 posts in this topic

with the virus dying down and states opening -- what coin show is top on your list?

I haven't had the itch to attend one in a while, but the warm weather is taunting me to go out. Auctions have been fine up to today!

Well, locally I'd like to check out the Garden State Coin Show in Parsippany.  It's held monthly so I may give it a shot in May.

I was planning on checking out the Baltimore Whitman show in November.  It's a 1-day event if I want it from my parents house.

After that, I want to go to FUN in January if I can swing the $$$.

47 minutes ago, Zebo said:

with the virus dying down and states opening -- what coin show is top on your list?

"It's not over until it's over."

The one where masks are required and used by all.

2 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Well according to Harris opps I meant Biden and Fauchi there may never be a return to normal due to the covid variants that will keep coming.   As long as people are kept scared and continue to live behind closed doors, getting free money from the government then the on-line coin market will be strong with no need for shows.

If 80-90% of the country is vaccinated by the end of May, we should have something approaching herd immunity by June or July.

Personally, I am tired of being cooped up.  I want to see stuff with my own eyes and NOT on a computer screen.

Hoping I can meet some of the online coin friends and associates at Whitman and FUN in coming months.

14 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

You obviously did not watch the biden speech last week, he said that maybe he will allow you to have a tiny gathering in your back yard for the 4h of July; IF you do everything he says to.   Large gatherings are still way off the table.

My nephew is getting married in June, bleep that.

I'll get the damn shots and after that, I don't wanna be bugged.xD

Just now, GoldFinger1969 said:

My nephew is getting married in June, bleep that.

I'll get the damn shots and after that, I don't wanna be bugged.xD

When all this was getting started, we had a premie that was barely a year old and premies tend to have weak immunity, so we locked ourselves down far more severely than almost everyone we know. But we're pretty much done. We're tired of not having fun and going out and enjoying our lives. We're still hardliners on wearing masks in public but we're just seeing family again and Ben is back in daycare after almost a year away. We just finally hit our limit.

I'm still not going to do a coin show until I can get the shot because I feel like that's just too many people too close in an indoor space, but we're going to the zoo again. Once I get the shot, I'm pretty much with you - this can't go on forever and if there's ever a time to ease up on this its once the vaccines are out. You want to have boosters / updates for new strains every year like the flu? Sure. I'll get that. I get my flu shot every year too. I'll probably still wear the mask most of the time when with strangers though - but I think we could do better and prevent a lot of illness that way just with the flu. I kinda hope that wearing masks if you aren't feeling well picks up hear like people have in Asia for a long time to limit disease spread in general. But then, I freaking hate the flu. I hate it! lol 

Anecdotally, the incidences of  seasonal influenza, common colds, pneumonia and bronchitis are way down in areas where mask wearing is practiced, and by individuals wearing them. Part of this is from substantially reduced interpersonal contact where diseases are easily transmitted, and part of from masks and hand washing.

3 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Doing things like continuing to wear a mask in public only makes your immune system weaker and less effective, and because of that you could be more affected by any virus or illness you get

This is false. The body's immune system does not atrophy like an unused muscle.

3 hours ago, RWB said:

Anecdotally, the incidences of  seasonal influenza, common colds, pneumonia and bronchitis are way down in areas where mask wearing is practiced, and by individuals wearing them. Part of this is from substantially reduced interpersonal contact where diseases are easily transmitted, and part of from masks and hand washing.

What's weird this year is that nobody seems to be getting the flu -- except me !! xD :mad:

I had a 72-hour really bad bug over Thanksgiving.  Was sure I had C-19 but got tested on Thanksgiving Day and it showed negative 2 days later.  After 3 days, the fever broke.  I got a flu vaccine a few weeks later (mid-December) from my doctor, probably the first one in 40+ years. 

Since then, I had 2 "mild" flus that lasted 1-2 days with a milder fever than in November (99-100 vs. 102'ish).  Got tested last week again for C-19....negative.

Go figure......

Edited by GoldFinger1969

3 hours ago, RWB said:

Maybe, but sometimes you just have to let a virus "burn through" the low-hanging fruit and be done with it.  That 1918 Spanish Flu...they thought it was gonna wipe out the world or U.S. population for a few weeks/months....then it just died...kaput.

There was a really good AMERICAN EXPERIENCE or NOVA special from 1999...they had survivors from that period interviewed (probably all dead by now since it's 21 years later).  PBS ran this a few months ago so I thought it was timely.  

Probably on the PBS website....check it out, very good viewing and some lessons for Covid.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

4 hours ago, RWB said:

Fortune cookie wisdom, there is zero science to suggest that wearing a face diaper has had any affect at all.   Its just this type of rampart misinformation that spreads false fears, wearing a mask may have had some effect but by the same token it may have been a zero factor.   Its just as likely that the lack of interpersonal contact (and false covid positive tests for other covid virus's like the seasonal influenza) is the real reason that those incidence rates have been lower.  If you have access to a real study done to show the effectiveness of a cloth diaper (not studies on N95 masks, those are real) please share those; I would love to read one.

4 hours ago, RWB said:

Again your not well informed, two years ago there was a minor outbreak of Measles in New York, if I remember correctly it was thought to be caused mostly by the children of anti-vaccers who had not had those children vaccinated, although I'm not sure if that was ever proven or not.  However at that time it was discovered that some adults who had been vaccinated tested showing no immunity and adults over the age of 50 should consider getting a booster shot because the immunity had waned in some adults.   So yes in some cases the immune system can lose effectiveness over time.

14 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

Fortune cookie wisdom, there is zero science to suggest that wearing a face diaper has had any affect at all.   Its just this type of rampart misinformation that spreads false fears, wearing a mask may have had some effect but by the same token it may have been a zero factor.   Its just as likely that the lack of interpersonal contact (and false covid positive tests for other covid virus's like the seasonal influenza) is the real reason that those incidence rates have been lower.  If you have access to a real study done to show the effectiveness of a cloth diaper (not studies on N95 masks, those are real) please share those; I would love to read one.

I thought that mask thing was all about flattening the curve, remember that ?

Me personally.....I think INDIVIDUALLY a mask may help....but in the AGGREGATE, I think a virus like C-19 will do what it is going to do in terms of "low-hanging fruit" regardless.  I do think masks helped flatten the curve.

BTW, that measles outbreak wasn't too far from where I live.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

50 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

I thought that mask thing was all about flattening the curve, remember that ?

Me personally.....I think INDIVIDUALLY a mask may help....but in the AGGREGATE, I think a virus like C-19 will do what it is going to do in terms of "long hanging fruit" regardless.  I do think masks helped flatten the curve.

BTW, that measles outbreak wasn't too far from where I live.

Flattening the curve was just a fancy way of saying don't overwhelm the health system if at all possible.   Look I'm not saying don't wear a mask, if it makes you feel better, more secure, certainly by all means wear one, I'm just tired of so many people that parrot what they hear without giving it any thought or inspection at all.   If everyone was wearing an N95 mask sure there is a very real chance that it would indeed help to control the spread, but a cloth diaper has an almost zero chance.  There is science behind the use of an N95 mask, those do work, but I have found only one study, a Danish study done last year with 6000 participants that showed an almost zero difference between the control group and the mask group, the rate of transmission was almost identical between the groups.  Now I am not saying that this one study proves wearing one does not work but its a data point of reference and as I have yet to see even one study that shows a cloth mask provides any level of protection or limits the transmission rate; well I just not convinced there is any actual science as we have all been told to follow the science.

Again wear one if you like and it makes you more comfortable, just get rid of the ridiculous mandates that are purely politically driven and have no underlying science behind them.

I qualify for the vaccine here in Colorado at the end of this week... and would really have liked to get to the 2021 Spring Coin Show in Loveland March 20-21 but I am dealing with truly horrible long-haul issues after having been infected at the end of December.

Everything people say about being tired of basically protecting yourselves and others really makes me wonder who's gotten to experience this close up. I would assume that any reasonable adult here who was experiencing what I have for 2 and a half months after 'recovery' would change their tune real quick about what they're willing to deal with or inflict on others in order to not be sick or doing things to protect each other.

I'll give you a small list for perspective, and I was lucky enough to not need hospitalization... I'm 51, male and athletic...

Tested positive at New Year's after beginning to get sick around Christmas...worst sinus pain of my life, easily the worst torturous headaches of my life, no fever but rather experienced nearly hypothermic temps all the way down to 95.3, lost my taste and smell (and I mean ZERO, can't smell smoke or gasoline or bleach or food or coffee, absolutely nothing and if you think that's easy to live with you are sadly mistaken! A friend reminded me to check the batteries in my smoke detectors because I genuinely can't even smell a burnt match), fatigue so extreme it's tough to describe, brain fog that basically stops time, sweats, chills, cough, blurred vision, lack of appetite and trouble staying hydrated, numbness in the extremities, my hands started to peel like a bad sunburn does, rashes, painful throat, muscle pain and what felt like bone pain, sleep for more than a few hours was impossible and makes everything worse...this went on for over two weeks.

...Then about 3 weeks later after feeling like I never fully recovered the long hauler symptoms started showing up and in fact are still showing up. My taste and smell are still essentially gone. I get micro moments of either and then absolutely nothing! The most intense symptoms that never left and then got worse were my fatigues and brain fogs (which are surprisingly hard to describe). Then a new symptom, waking up is torture...sometimes it feels like I was jumped and thrown off a train in the morning. Sometimes it feels like my limbs are all asleep, sometimes it feels like bone pain all over my body. Then those unbelievable headaches started showing up again, they are not normal headaches even compared to migraines. A couple weeks ago a quite loud tinnitus showed up, not a high pitched whine but more like the static from a television and it is 24 hours a day. Sometimes days with absolutely not even those micro-seconds of taste and smell. Something being referred to as Covid dreams showed up a few weeks ago, they are just incredibly strange for dreams and are also hard to describe because they are a mix of dreaming and being awake and fairly disturbing sometimes. Sleep has been an issue since day one and getting good sleep is beyond difficult.

There is more... but maybe you're getting the idea here. What has been found is that plenty of asymptomatic people are also later experiencing long haul symptoms. Considering it's thought that possibly a fifth of the entire country has been infected and that possibly 20% or more are experiencing long-hauler effects...that's simple and very conservative math.

The vaccines are doing a wonderful job against variants. It does an amazing job to reduce the severity and symptoms and transmissions.

Once I get the vaccine I will be going to shows, I will still be wearing a mask to protect others because I can still spread it and the variants. If you are hanging out with others who you know have gotten the vaccine it is safe to hang out unmasked. If you choose to be just sick of protecting yourself and others and do careless things you are in fact contributing to horrible things. Maybe some have forgotten that this is massively more infectious than the flu or cold, it is the main reason so many got infected and the fact that it is far more deadly exacerbated everything.

From my point of view this is about respect...Americans tend to not even wear a mask when they have a fever and a horrible flu when they go to the supermarket for their Sudafed! This type of simple respect and obvious consideration for others should be part of our culture in the future. My younger brother has been living in Japan for over 30 years and there that is what those masks have been about for many decades now. It's considerate to want to save the lives of others or even just not make them ill.

Too many Americans are utterly consumed with image rather than caring. Other than while you're putting food in your mouth the mask effects nothing about any claimed "freedoms"...you can jog, workout, wear your gun, go shopping, etc... do it for me and the others who are even worse off. You can and likely will be re-infected and if you were lucky it might not be asymptomatic the next time and you might not escape the long-haul issues next time.

At some point covid will be much more like a cold for almost everyone who catches it...it may even be more like that by the end of this summer!!! Enjoy the coin shows!!! Be proud of being vaccinated, be proud of going out of your way to protect others!!! Wear a mask to the store the next time you even have a cold :-)

My immediate family is filled with EMT, Firefighters, and ICU and Emergency room nurses...and somehow I was the only one who got infected...but my family has gotten to see the worst of it up close...do it for those frontline people as well! Just because you or your family has escaped this doesn't mean that other people's incredible losses shouldn't concern you!

I just lost someone in my family, she was 94 and did not die from Covid. She had to leave Germany as her family was disappearing when she was 11 and lived through much much worse than this and she knew how to wear a mask just fine and even encouraged it from her wheelchair. Let's wage this war against this uncaring truly rude virus until it's truly over!!!

Coin shows with or without masks once we get there will be equally satisfying knowing that some of the people you saw there don't get doomed to what I described above or actually die of complications as a reward for needing to enjoy the show unsafely by them or someone else who was there. I truly love all of you, these coin communities... Love wins! You don't have to be an old hippie to know that :foryou:

Edited by Kurisu
Spelling error

[Quick question for Kurisu... just to be clear, were you a compulsive mask-wearer prior to infection?  I have yet to see that breakdown published anywhere:  how many of those who succumbed wore masks religiously? That's what enquiring minds want to know.]

2 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

[Quick question for Kurisu... just to be clear, were you a compulsive mask-wearer prior to infection?  I have yet to see that breakdown published anywhere:  how many of those who succumbed wore masks religiously? That's what enquiring minds want to know.]

First off and straight up...This seems to be a theme question for people who are out to somehow prove that masks don't work or help. But I'll give you an answer which is really for everyone. Keeping in mind that my relatives, all with quite a bit of close Covid contact and work in the medical worlds continued to test negative, but their protocols were even stricter than mine. Our family has had no contact and no travels since the start of this.

Based on the timing of my infection, I was infected by neighbors throwing large unmasked parties before Christmas. I averaged leaving my apartment about once a month for supplies and everything was always disinfected on arrival including mail and always masked when I left. There was over a 3 week gap in my last time getting supplies and when the infection's symptoms hit me. When I came home with supplies or grabbed the mail everything was disinfected and sat for a day or two first. No deliveries and nothing but going out for essentials. I was super diligent from the start because I'm in a few high risk groups including diabetic.

Based on that timing...the apartment building I'm in is very small with only about 10 large units, very narrow hallways and the vestibule air is always pressurized and constantly blows into our apartments. During the neighbor's upstairs parties they had both children and adults hanging out in the hallways and sometimes right up against our doors. I had a few instances of getting something by my front door to look out the peephole and realize there were people 2 feet away from my face on the other side of the door. Sometimes kids playing in the hallway unmasked during their parties.

I also happen to have a landlord who delivers notices to the clips on our doors unmasked. In addition I have a next door neighbor who ended up having a very serious case of Covid just before me and she did everything unmasked as well (she regrets that as she now has very serious lung and other health issues). She already had severe health problems before being infected and would take minutes to get down just a few steps and was dragging her unmasked self down the walls even after she was infected. She now has full time medical care as well. Turns out that right around the same time I got it a couple of the partying neighbors upstairs got it as well, I had found out later.

There is no way to be totally sure of course...but based on not having left for over 3 weeks and suddenly coming down with it, it had to have come right through my apartment door. With no explanation in context this sounds crazy...but this is what happened to me and I truly didn't appreciate it. I have since moved any essentials away from the front door.

I tested positive at New Year's after having a couple days of horrible symptoms. As a reminder to everyone, yes you can get infected while doing everything right, it's happened to some in the medical communities as well. The concept is how dramatically reduced the numbers are when one or both people in close contact are properly masked.

Percentages can't be totally accurate due to a bunch of factors...face mask fit, distancing, natural resistance, air flow, etc... But it works like this...if there is very little distancing...with regular non-medically fit masks...

Both people no mask - 80%+ infection rate.

Healthy person masked - 40% infection rate.

Infected person masked - 7% infection rate.

Both people masked - 2% infection rate.

A few important points I've learned from my Mom (an ICU and Emergency room nurse for decades) and others including my own Dr. and Nurse... surface contact infection is known to be pretty rare except in places where certain shared surfaces is frequent. Touching your face and or mask after touching a heavily infected surface will dramatically increase the risk. Outside infection is also quite rare as the infection becomes very diluted quickly and full sun UV kills the virus quickly. The more of the virus initially infects you, the more serious the infection tends to be, flu is like this too. It is HIGHLY contagious compared to just about anything. Once infected symptomatically there is a very high chance of it becoming serious or deadly compared to just about anything.

In the medical world the masks are properly fit and usually combined with a shield. Everything is also treated as disposable so they are not re-using masks after touching them with gloves for example.

In North Carolina where my Mom is a nurse they have opened the first clinic that is fully dedicated to treating post Covid patients. It's run by Duke in the Golden Triangle area where much of our research has been done. They are referring to the long-haul effects now as an actual disease/disorder for many. They are estimating that as many as almost 30% of symptomatic cases turn into various lengths of long-haul effects, some lasting now for many months or even the full year since this has happened. It's tough to guess at the percentage for the asymptomatic people because a lot of them didn't even know they had it...until their long-haul symptoms showed up. My long-haul symptoms took weeks to start manifesting.

Over 200 symptoms have been identified now...it's a BIG deal. Some of these are life changing issues and will continue to effect obvious things like the economy.

Although children and younger people tend to get infected less and have the serious issues less they still transmit it just as much. In regards to the long haul effects though...age, race, gender does not seem to matter if it was a symptomatic case.

Trying to Make Sense of Long COVID Syndrome - https://directorsblog.nih.gov/2021/01/19/trying-to-make-sense-of-long-covid-syndrome/

It's only been one year and there is an enormous amount of research happening. Most of these long haul effects seem to be from cell damage, nerve damage, and neurological effects.

I hope that all helps.

1 hour ago, Kurisu said:

First off and straight up...This seems to be a theme question for people who are out to somehow prove that masks don't work or help. But I'll give you an answer which is really for everyone....

Both people no mask - 80%+ infection rate.

Healthy person masked - 40% infection rate.

Infected person masked - 7% infection rate.

Both people masked - 2% infection rate.

I hope that all helps.

Yes, it does, and I can only hope it has for our fellow members, particularly those who are impatient, skeptical, uninformed and/or misinformed.  Like you, I live in a less than ideal environment.  My wife and I have been wearing masks from the outset and shall continue to wear masks after we are vaccinated.  To my knowledledge you are the first member to address this topic at length and from a personal viewpoint. Thank you for sharing your experience. I do hope you recover and feel better soon. 

[Special note of appreciation to the OP for his forbearance.]

1 minute ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

The loss of taste and smell is scary.  Do we know yet how the virus does that ? 

That, more than any other effect, leads me to believe this virus was man-made.

Check out that link. Lots of scary scenarios.  But nobody wants to talk about it.

5 minutes ago, Lancek said:

Thought political posts were banned.  You should keep that stuff to yourself.  I got that dude from Nevada kicked off for political post.  You could be next.

And your argument against face mask is based on a false, but all too often used, premiss.  The recommendation to wear one has NEVER been based on whether it will protect you from the virus.  It has always been based off of the fact that it will protect others FROM YOU, if YOU have the virus.  Big difference.  We learned part way through this mess that the virus is not aerosol based.  It actually hitches a ride on the water droplets in your breath.  And those can be stoped by a cloth mask.

It's the polite thing to do.  It's the right thing to do if you have any concern for your fellow human beings.  As this virus is unlike anything we have seen before.  I can be transmitted by people who are showing no symptoms whatsoever.

If you had AIDS, would you put on a condom before having sex?  If so, where a mask.  If not, you have no regard for others.

Not only are you badly misinformed but you are rude and misinformed.

3 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

The loss of taste and smell is scary.  Do we know yet how the virus does that ? 

That, more than any other effect, leads me to believe this virus was man-made.

I won't claim that there is proof but there has been some very serious research into this as well...it does not seem that China (which it has already generally been agreed around the world that the source was somewhere near Wuhan) purposely released a virus or that it came from infected bats in a farmer's market either. The video below is the most honest research I've yet seen, but I am not an immunologist or Dr. of any type.

It seems that there was research being done in regards to finding a way to make a virus (SARS) have the ability to jump to humans...it's very likely that due to safety measures that are not as extreme and thorough as the one's that some countries have in regards to dangerous viruses that it was in fact a manipulated virus which was totally accidentally released from a research lab. If you think about the concept of a virus that would basically attack all humans equally it just doesn't make sense that it would've been released on purpose because the "bad guys" would be targeted equally.

That's as non-political as I can state what I have heard and seen and offer no opinion other than encouraging everyone to do the things to stop the spread and lower the risks, considering this thread has kind of changed directions lol! Although this really is all about having truly safe coin shows again right?!! Please don't ban me as I am offering impartial non-political info here! :angel:

This is a video with a purely scientifically researched approach to the source of the virus and how immunologists can trace the virus' origins using research data and studying the proteins of the virus itself if you haven't seen this one yet https://youtu.be/3bXWGxhd7ic It even includes some of the researchers in North Carolina from the Golden Triangle research area (where my Mom also works) who were directly involved in investigating this virus... please draw your own conclusions and don't post them here!!!

My attitude is that this has all already happened and at this point it's like riding a motorcycle, you wear a helmet and pay attention 100% of the time always assuming if something happens it's going to be someone else's fault and in doing so protect yourself and others! Yes, my other car is a sport touring bike...I've been on motorcycles since the early 80's :ph34r: B| I hope to get back to that soon as well too!

Edited by Kurisu
Grammar

Let's get back to the OP......the virus ENDING it's reign of terror and coin shows coming back.

Again....my order is.....(1)  Parsippany (Garden State, NJ) in April or May (2) Mt. Kisco Show (a new show that started up right before the virus hit) quarterly (3)  Baltimore Whitman Show in November  (4) FUN in January.

Attendance in the next year at coin shows will be VERY INTERESTING...so many people have anectdotally registered over at Ebay, HA, GC, AuctionNinja.com, etc...that we should see a bump besides pent-up demand.

If show organizers can get the word out they can really clean-up attendance wise.  Need to get the message out via social media for young and old alike.  Maybe direct mail for old foggies. xD

16th Summer FUN Convention will start in

114 Days 1 Hours 38 Minutes 32 Seconds

I havent been in over 2 years to a coin show and i have been saving and saving and saving all of my pennies  until it opens!!!  I can wait to see some of my long time friends that come down every year that i havent seen in ages!!  and i can wait to strafe the bourse floor!!! this itch is starting to keep me up at night

2 hours ago, JT2 said:

16th Summer FUN Convention will start in

114 Days 1 Hours 38 Minutes 32 Seconds

I havent been in over 2 years to a coin show and i have been saving and saving and saving all of my pennies  until it opens!!!  I can wait to see some of my long time friends that come down every year that i havent seen in ages!!  and i can wait to strafe the bourse floor!!! this itch is starting to keep me up at night

The CT folks met at FUN 2020.  Hopefully, the same happens here with the NGC posters.

14 hours ago, Lancek said:

I got that dude from Nevada kicked off for political post.

Wondering if you could tell me who appointed you to be the NGC Forum Thought Police?  You might try what our Fore Fathers meant when they used "Mind your business" on their coins.

Edited by Alex in PA.