• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So what happens if
1 1

18 posts in this topic

you buy a slabbed Pf70 or MS70 modern cent for big dollars and then 20 years later the zinc below the thin copper plating starts corroding and starts to blister the plating?? Does the value or grade of the coin go down or would it stay the same? Seems like it could be risky for plated coins...

Edited by errorist

Everything in the coin world is risky. Everything is stacked against collectors, air environment and careless handling and storage to mention only a few. For me collecting is worth those risks so I collect coins I want and do the best I can to protect them with no guarantee they will be pristine down the road. It's part of what makes collecting exciting. IMO.

10 minutes ago, errorist said:

Does the value or grade of the coin go down or would it stay the same?

Value and grade go down but not the label it will always be a 70.:cloud9:

The value/grade will degrade xD with the coin's condition but it will carry a premium because of the label and registry competitors. 

If you buy an ASE from more than 5 years ago, certainly 10 or more, if it hasn't developed milk spots or other imperfections by then chances are it won't.

Still undesirable but more forgiving would be a new blemish on a classic coin such as a Morgan Silver Dollar or a Saint-Gaudens gold coin.  At least they aren't making more of those every year.

[Kind of ironic to think that the roosters I bought raw not two years ago are now well above melt.  Encapsulated or not, the least we can do is educate ourselves, avoid vultures and try to be the responsible stewards we should be.]

On 3/13/2021 at 11:08 AM, zadok said:

silver lining....the coin wont go to zero value like some stocks...it will always have its face value...

Well… The US has never demonetized any old money or currency... yet. lol I guess we'll see. Never say never, right?

On 3/13/2021 at 8:28 AM, errorist said:

you buy a slabbed Pf70 or MS70 modern cent for big dollars and then 20 years later the zinc below the thin copper plating starts corroding and starts to blister the plating?? Does the value or grade of the coin go down or would it stay the same? Seems like it could be risky for plated coins...

They always say "buy the coin, not the label." I think there was even an NGC article a while back that asked the question, "If TP grading went away tomorrow, would what I'm buying still have / hold value?" Consider that question carefully and if you're willing to lose all of that if that label suddenly no longer matters.

There's a reason I never got into playing games with MS70 Silver eagles at marked up prices vs the 69s. It just seemed like a bad risk with the milk spots and everything else.

I had a guy offer to buy a Libertad off me a few years ago that was one of the few from the year that was graded as MS69 at the time. I had gotten it graded myself, but I told him straight up that it had milk-spotted bad since I took the pictures I had posted in the registry and I didn't think it would grade as well anymore. He still wanted it and for a price I was happy to part with it for, so I let him have it. 

5 hours ago, Revenant said:

I had a guy offer to buy a Libertad off me a few years ago that was one of the few from the year that was graded as MS69 at the time. I had gotten it graded myself, but I told him straight up that it had milk-spotted bad since I took the pictures I had posted in the registry and I didn't think it would grade as well anymore. He still wanted it and for a price I was happy to part with it for, so I let him have it. 

How many years after the coin was minted/graded did it develop the spots ?

21 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

How many years after the coin was minted/graded did it develop the spots ?

Hmm... good question? I'd say it was less than 5 so I'd say your "10+ is mostly safe" assertion is mostly valid in my experience.

Don't the TPG's have stricter limits on guarantees on copper coins, which would presumably cover plated cents?

Found it, this is from the NGC guarantee:

1. Coins made of copper, bronze and brass or are copper-plated can change over time. Accordingly, with regard to copper, bronze, brass or copper-plated Coins, the grade portion of this Guarantee will no longer apply after the 10-year anniversary of their date of encapsulation. The expiration date of the grade portion of this Guarantee can be found by entering the Coin’s certification number in the Verify NGC Certification section of the NGC website or by contacting NGC Customer Service.

2 minutes ago, jtryka said:

Found it, this is from the NGC guarantee:

...the grade portion of this Guarantee will no longer apply after the 10-year anniversary of their date of encapsulation. 

[VKurtB:  So, what's your Plan B now, roostermeister?

Q.A.:  I can't believe you get to have the last laugh.  I have no choice but to sell, sell, sell. Curses!]  😉

On 3/14/2021 at 2:06 PM, Revenant said:

The US has never demonetized any old money or currency... yet.

Except the trade dollar, in I think 1878, might have been 76.  But then they reversed themselves and remonitized them in 1965 (And there was a joint resolution of Congress that remonitized them in 1933.)

1 hour ago, Conder101 said:

Except the trade dollar, in I think 1878, might have been 76.  But then they reversed themselves and remonitized them in 1965 (And there was a joint resolution of Congress that remonitized them in 1933.)

Well, there ya go! 🤣