• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One Year Coin Collecting Anniversary!
2 2

49 posts in this topic

So... April 2021 marks my official first year in the hobby of numismatics.  I have learned quite a bit, and look forward to learning more as I go.  My largest struggle right now is finding and staying disciplined.  One cannot go-out with a "collect what you like" strategy when (s)he likes it all.  The NGC 7070 Type Set has helped me scratch that itch with some form of rational sensibility.  

My question is... if you were celebrating your first Coinaversary, how would you celebrate?  Special book or reference?  A coin hot on your list? Stay true to your set and chip away?  Buy cake in the shape of Abe Lincoln?

... Just Curious.

Neo

The timing is perfect. A nice 1933 double eagle is about to go to auction it seems. That would be one heck of a coinaversary gift!

Aside from that I’m in a similar position. I’m closing on a year and have bought way too much that is all over the board. But I’ve slowed down buying to almost nothing and reading everything I can get my hands on. I’ll tell you it’s worth the pause to educate yourself more. I’ve kicked myself several times for things I wish I had known before jumping in head first buying. Lots of great books that members can recommend if there is a certain area of focus you want to learn more about. 

56 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

.....1933 double eagle...

That would be something.. something truly beyond my grasp, but something. Lol.

I have been working on my library, and more importantly reading it.  I agree that buying books is much cheaper and just as interesting as buying coins.  Books/resources I have so far are:

• 2020 RedBook (Standard) 
  • Breen's Encyclopedia of US Coins
  • Cohen Little Half Sisters 
  • Manley Half Cent Die Varieties
  • ANA Grading 
  • Monthly Greysheet
  • Quarterly CAC Report
  • EAC Early Copper Grading Book (ordered)

Being new also, what resources do you find most helpful?

To the rest of the group... What are your thoughts on training materials, Coinaversary gifts or anything else for the new guy.  

Others are surely better resources than myself, but as someone along the same path I’ll say the most useful to me are materials on the “how”. Maybe it’s the way I think but understanding how all the processes and components of the coinage process sheds so much light on the “what”. All of a sudden those errors you think you are seeing you know that happened/didn’t happen, or why coins from the same mint/year can look so different. Just examples. But that’s my biggest light bulb was starting to build a base from the ground up, beginning with how coins are made and moving forward. A couple good books I’ve found helpful, and authors are active on here 

- From Mine To Mint (RWB on here)

- History of the US mint & coinage (DWLange)

then go to guide books for focus series

I have a feeling 20 years from now we will still be reading quite a few books to learn numismatics. 

Edited by Woods020

5 hours ago, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

So... April 2021 marks my official first year in the hobby of numismatics.  I have learned quite a bit, and look forward to learning more as I go.  My largest struggle right now is finding and staying disciplined.  One cannot go-out with a "collect what you like" strategy when (s)he likes it all.  The NGC 7070 Type Set has helped me scratch that itch with some form of rational sensibility.  My question is... if you were celebrating your first Coinaversary, how would you celebrate?  Special book or reference?  A coin hot on your list? Stay true to your set and chip away?  Buy cake in the shape of Abe Lincoln?... Just Curious.Neo

There's nothing wrong with being an eclectic type collector.  I have some gold coins....some Saints.....some Morgans....modern commemoratives......5-ounce silver coins.....silver Pandas, Eagles, Wedge-Tailed Eagles, etc.  

They are more expensive and costly and you'll probably buy them more infrequently, but if you like classic American gold coins check out the Saint-Gaudens coins.  And there's a spectacular book which has its own thread here in the forums which can be a couple of months of good reading for you while you save up $$$$ if you want to buy a Saint.

Today, I have two sets on the NCG Registry.  I have not bought any gold, but have always flirted with the idea.  I always turn back, because gold hasn't fit into a set I am building - and my sets are FAR from complete, as you can see: 

My 7070 Basic Type

Braided Hair Half Cents

Maybe my Coinaversary is a good time to splurge on a gold piece :)

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

I have decided to stay true to my mission and work toward my Braided Hair Half Cent Set.

If anyone is selling a 1949 or 1950 Half Cent in MS63-64RB (the redder the better), I would be interested in learning more about the coin and potential acquisition.

I am certainly going to keep gold coins in mind.  I seem to be stuck on copper at the moment.  I will have to make my way to gold before I hit my 50th coin anniversary - I will be dead.

Congratulations on a good first year! A fun hobby we can do in rain, sleet or shine. From Mine To Mint (RWB) is a must. Myself, during the last almost two years, finally realizing what I can and can not afford, helped me see a clearer picture of where I'm going with my collecting. BUT, I'll never give up the hope that I may find an 1880 Coiled Hair PF 67 Cameo $4 Stella in my pocket change someday. 😀

1 hour ago, ronnie stein said:

Congratulations on a good first year! A fun hobby we can do in rain, sleet or shine. From Mine To Mint (RWB) is a must. Myself, during the last almost two years, finally realizing what I can and can not afford, helped me see a clearer picture of where I'm going with my collecting. BUT, I'll never give up the hope that I may find an 1880 Coiled Hair PF 67 Cameo $4 Stella in my pocket change someday. 😀

My friend, if the Salvation Army can find gold coins in their buckets when 'tis the season, anything is possible.

Thanks Ronnie.  I like numismatics more than I thought I would.  It’s a fun way to study history, art, culture and economics.  Year one was a blast, and I can’t wait to learn more this year (and pick up some interesting coins along the way).  

I am definitely picking up a copy of Mine to Mint.  Thanks to you and Woods for recommending it.

Quintus - I got a gold $5 Indian in my change today at Walmart.  Guess you are right.  

In other news:

Pigs everywhere are taking to the skies. I am glad that gold coins turn up somewhere.... but, I would not think something like that would ever fall into my lap. Fun to dream! 

On 3/10/2021 at 9:16 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Books/resources I have so far are: 2020 RedBook (Standard)  Breen's Encyclopedia of US Coins Cohen Little Half Sisters  Manley Half Cent Die Varieties ANA Grading  Monthly Greysheet Quarterly CAC Report EAC Early Copper Grading Book (ordered) Being new also, what resources do you find most helpful? To the rest of the group... What are your thoughts on training materials, Coinaversary gifts or anything else for the new guy.  

If you collect or are interested in Morgans....the Whitman MORGAN DOLLAR GUIDE book is a  must.

If you collect or are interested in gold coins/Saints.....the Whitman DOUBLE EAGLE GUIDE book is a must, along with Aker's 2nd Edition of 1907-33 Gold Coins....plus Roger Burdette's SAINT-GAUDENS DOUBLE EAGLE 640-page Magnus Opus which is a bigger committment $$$-wise and time-wise.  But well worth it, if you have intentions of pursuing Saints in the future.

First Coinaversary! Glad to hear that.  Unfortunately for me, the vast majority of the handful of the highest graded French 20-franc gold roosters do not reside in anyone's Set Registry and none in the entire series (1899-1914) have been adjudged an MS-68 or higher, by any TPGS, to date.

I commend you on your choice of hobby, and the enthusiasm you've shown for learning all you can about it early on.  

Happy hunting!

@GoldFinger1969 A Morgan Dollar Book is something I can see myself getting.  Would you suggest the Whitman over the VAM Encyclopedia?  I have neither.

@Quintus Arrius Thanks for your kind words.  Learning is where the fun is, and fortunately... It costs the least.  

Im coming up to my one year coin collecting and grading anniversary too. Learned so much from this group. You know who you are. The experience learned in grading, buying and selling at auctions, coin shops, ebay. I am re-building my coin collection again. I put everything away in December and just checked the value of my four graded coins. A 2019-D MS65FB dime that had no value last December is now valued at $5.00. The other three coins have no value yet but maybe in the future. Started going through my pocket change again and finding MS cents, nickels and dimes. Weird that I have not found any MS quarters so far. I could not find one MS nickel last year and now have two for submitting. Happy St. Patrick's Day to everybody.☘💚

@Modwriter Congrats on your coinaversary!  Good news on pocket change is that the coin roll shortage seems to be over in my area.  Hopefully, coins will be flowing everywhere soon enough.  You will have to keep us posted on any cool finds.

I am sure that 2019-D is beautiful.  I do not have a full bands dime in my collection yet.  Enjoy!

3 hours ago, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

@GoldFinger1969 A Morgan Dollar Book is something I can see myself getting.  Would you suggest the Whitman over the VAM Encyclopedia?  I have neither.

I'm not an expert, but the Whitman GUIDE is more for beginners to intermediate, I would think the VAM Enclyopedia is for more advanced collectors focusing on the VAM varieties.  Assuming you are just starting out, I would think the GUIDE is better (get the 6th Edition).

The Morgan experts here can chime in. 

On 3/14/2021 at 7:21 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

@Modwriter Congrats on your coinaversary!  Good news on pocket change is that the coin roll shortage seems to be over in my area.  Hopefully, coins will be flowing everywhere soon enough.  You will have to keep us posted on any cool finds.

I am sure that 2019-D is beautiful.  I do not have a full bands dime in my collection yet.  Enjoy!

Just went through my pocket change from yesterday and a 2021-D Tuskegee Airmen MS grade quarter was in the batch. My first one. Kinda excited.

April 2022 marks my two-year Coinaversary.  This year I know what I want - a couple half cents for the date set.  I have been working very hard on that one, and I can't let it fizzle. I am doing a full 1793-1857 date set, so the scope is a little larger than a year ago.

Happy Coinaversary to everyone else who celebrates them.   If you do not celebrate Coinaversaries - your should totally start! :banana:

On 3/4/2022 at 8:44 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

April 2022 marks my two-year Coinaversary.  This year I know what I want - a couple half cents for the date set.  I have been working very hard on that one, and I can't let it fizzle. I am doing a full 1793-1857 date set, so the scope is a little larger than a year ago.

Happy Coinaversary to everyone else who celebrates them.   If you do not celebrate Coinaversaries - your should totally start! :banana:

Congrats my friend. 2 years calls for a 2 coin purchase. (thumbsu

On 3/4/2022 at 10:08 PM, Lem E said:

Congrats my friend. 2 years calls for a 2 coin purchase. (thumbsu

I agree 100%!  I have bought a few Jefferson Nickels and Proof Mercury Dimes, and I feel like I have been "cheating" on my half cents.

On 3/4/2022 at 9:55 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I agree 100%!  I have bought a few Jefferson Nickels and Proof Mercury Dimes, and I feel like I have been "cheating" on my half cents.

Nah it’s all good. Variety is the spice of life and such.

On 3/4/2022 at 10:13 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I have to admit, you are personally responsible for me looking more at nickels.  I love your set.

Thanks. Always good to have another nickel guy around.

Interesting… with all this talk of From Mine to Mint, I started to think that the book was familiar to me.

Went downstairs to the library and searched for it, and there it was, on an upper shelf.  Pulled it down, paperback edition, and for some reason a slip of paper placeholder was on page 100… something about post civil war assessment of the New Orleans Mint, mention of maybe shipping the equipment to Carson City.  Looked at the front cover and there at the bottom was Roger's full name.  Made me feel good.

Inspected the book and I can tell I never read it.  No dog-eared pages, in fact all of the pages are in like-new condition.  Flipped through the pages, and knowing so much more about coins than when I bought it, it is a pleasure to see those old photographs of early mints.

Own two other coin books, a 2013 Red Book, spiral bound paperback, free of charge from ARCI when I purchased my first coin, and a hardcopy reproduction of the original 1947 Red Book. (but Whitman Publishing Company, copyright 1946; the only thing I don't like about it is there is an ISBN sticker on the back cover, which probably cannot be removed without a trace.)

Made me go to my paperwork folder for all of my coin purchases, and there's a nice showing of coin orders — and the beautiful letters from some of the dealers — NGC and NCS submissions, and dealer business cards.

So, advice I'll give to coin collecting, one and two year anniversary celebrants, is save all your paperwork.  In folders, ideally hanging folders in a desk, and "manilla" folders within them… forever.  You'll come back to them later and marvel at what you went through when you were just beginning.  They'll bring back the memories like they were just yesterday, and they're part of the history of your coins, too.

@Lem E You WERE right... I thought about it and I really should get two coins.  I mean, why not? The two I picked are the 1806 and 1849 Half Cents for my Coinaversary.  I don't have them yet, but I am excited to get those dates added.  Chipping away slowly at the half cents (just grateful it's a short set with only one mint).  I will post them in the copper thread when they come in. 

On 3/5/2022 at 4:22 PM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

They'll bring back the memories like they were just yesterday, and they're part of the history of your coins, too.

Very interesting.  And... part of the reason that I resurrected this old thread instead of starting a new one is to see my own evolution as a collector in taste in coins, and the depth in which I understand a given coin series.  My knowledge has grown exponentially and my taste has evolved, too.

I can't wait until I get the knowledge under my belt to really "hang" at in-depth conversations on a wide variety of series.  There are series that I do not really know at all.  One of my goals is to learn and chart all of the semi-key dates for each series - the dates where you can find a solid coin for little premium over a generic date.  I have not been doing this in my type collecting, and I feel this is sub-optimal.  I am my own work in progress.