• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1958 proof penny
2 2

116 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Melissa6456 said:

If it is a ddo

Based on the photos, no sign of obverse die being doubled. Others will likely offer their ideas, too.

1 hour ago, bsshog40 said:

Doesn't look ddo to me either. The only well known is the 1958p Lincoln. 

1958_ddo_1_obv.jpg

1958_IGWT-452x159.jpg

1958_liberty-232x113.jpg

Now the question is, Does such doubling even occur in proof coins? I don't know if what you've got here is a proof or not but the three distinct hatchet blows to Lincoln's shoulder -- besides suggesting a run-in with legendary Tong leader, Mock Duck in Chinatown -- is an affront to the standard of excellence, nay, perfection expected of coins exceeding the "business strike" (nee "circulation") line. And what happened to the original Mint luster?  Further, any claim that the above damaged coin is the only well-known specimen does nothing to diminish the fact that, inadequate photography, notwithstanding, the OP may very well have something worthy of further inquiry. The very least we can do is provisionally deny the relief sought, i.e., validation, without prejudice to renew. SO ORDERED.  /S/  Q. ARRIUS

Dies are made individually, then some are polished for making proof coins. Polished dies are examined more closely than those used for circulation. Hence, the proportion of doubled dies used for proof coins is likely much less than for circulation coins.

Unless you are looking at 40% silver proof Ike dollars which seem to have a lot of doubled dies.

But the separation you would see on a proof doubled die would be much less than that seen on the pictured  business strike 58 cent simply because of that closer inspection.  A doubled die that severe is VERY unlikely to make it through on a proof die.  I believe there is a 70 S or 71 S proof cent that shows a DDO with decent separation, but not as much as is seen on that 58.

Edited by Conder101

Ok really? I’m confused the Liberty and In God reminds me of one of those 1960’s TENSION signs. If this isn’t doubling what is? Maybe just shaky photographer.

40 minutes ago, Mr.Bill347 said:

Ok really? I’m confused the Liberty and In God reminds me of one of those 1960’s TENSION signs. If this isn’t doubling what is? Maybe just shaky photographer.

If you are referring to the OP's coin, first off, they are too small to see any doubling if there is any and second, proofs are more reflective than business strikes and most times the doubling that is seen is usually just glare from the pics. 

Edited by bsshog40

18 hours ago, bsshog40 said:

If you are referring to the OP's coin, first off, they are too small to see any doubling if there is any and second, proofs are more reflective than business strikes and most times the doubling that is seen is usually just glare from the pics. 

Man I don't see any reflecting going on, but I do see double letter on my 24" monitor

On 3/13/2021 at 12:38 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

[No offense to the OP but if you were to spend enough time on these chat boards you would find that lots and lots of DDO's turn out to be dodos.

I believe only a small percentage of prospectors struck it rich during the Gold Rush.  In fact, it was said the people who sold provisions to the hordes descending on California (abandoning entire ships in the Bay en masse in the process) were the ones who made out like bandits.  It comes with the territory.  I think one of the saddest stories in numismatic history was the reply that young boy received from the Mint director inquiring as to whether his 1943 copper penny was real and being told none were authorized, dashing his hopes. You win some, you lose some.  Here's hoping you will maintain your buoyant spirit and prevail someday.]

It's ok if it's not and I read about the boy that got the pennywhen he was 16 in the punchline at school and everyone made fun if him until he was dying and that became the million dollar penny.it is sad.im still hoping lol.ive got 1958s and 1955s and I'm gonna keep searching.the other pictures were two different coins that ive got but thank u

On 3/13/2021 at 10:28 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Now that I look at the latest Pictures, I do not notice any doubling here. Sorry

Those last two pics are two different coins it's just the first one in the white holder thing 

Just now, Melissa6456 said:

It's ok if it's not and I read about the boy that got the pennywhen he was 16 in the punchline at school and everyone made fun if him until he was dying and that became the million dollar penny.it is sad.im still hoping lol.ive got 1958s and 1955s and I'm gonna keep searching.the other pictures were two different coins that ive got but thank u

Those last two pics are two different coins it's just the first one in the white holder thing 

I can read between the lines too

On 3/15/2021 at 5:12 PM, Modwriter said:

This is a beautiful Lincoln cent. Mine is very similar and in a flip also. Are you going to send it in to be graded?

I just paid for a membership the $25 associates but they're different prices on grading depending on the value of the coun but if it's not been graded or verified it is double die or not then how do we know?

On 3/13/2021 at 5:32 PM, VKurtB said:

I can introduce you to Jack at any major coin show. 

That's not necessary I thought that people who had collected longer would more helpful and not insulting so much to newbies with questions because it is a forum for newbies right?then u know that and if u dont wanna help that's fine but going out of your way to think your secretly making fun of a newbie or their question well, I might be a newbie at coin collecting but I am not a newbie in common sense and the way people are and reading between the lines.im definitely not new to that so what u had to secretly explain to your wife I got the minute I read it and would u rather make a newbie stop collecting if they coukdt handle the comments on here or thinking they had nothing of value or thinking they were stupid or thought all coun collectors were ?I wouldn't think so but thank God I know who I am I have a strong mind because your comments dis not phase me one bit I just cussed to myself got a little heated and secretly flipped u off