• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proof ASE's possible grades ?
1 1

34 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ldhall said:

I'm confused why do we collect something that will deterioate ?  

Probably for the same reason some people buy cars that are expected to depreciate over time.

5 hours ago, ldhall said:

I'm confused why do we collect something that will deterioate ?  

Moderns are more likely to "turn" than classic coins.

It's one of the risks we have to manage.  FWIW, I have bought probably 100 modern coins of all types and sizes and not one has developed any post-graded imperfections.

On 3/13/2021 at 5:43 PM, ldhall said:

collecting is a hobby you can't breakeven

Those first four words are a truism. "collecting is a HOBBY".  A hobby is something you undertake for the sake of its own personal enjoyment, not as a way to make money or even to break even.  But compared to most hobbies coin collecting has a better chance at breaking even than many of them.  Money spent on most hobbies is never recovered.

4 hours ago, Conder101 said:

A hobby is something you undertake for the sake of its own personal enjoyment, not as a way to make money or even to break even.... Money spent on most hobbies is never recovered.

True, but it beats smoking, drinking and drugging.  At least you have something to show for your investment in time and effort in the end.