• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 copper penny
1 1

66 posts in this topic

The strongest evidence militating against this being a 1943 is its worn condition considering its supposed vintage coupled with the fact that, save for a few other rarities in the series well-known to even non-collectors, this coin continues to be sought after to this day.

How many hands would a coin have had to go through to attain that totally defeated look with notably, only the critical numerals askew?  We have all seen coins from the 10's, 20's and 30's with that kind of wear and tear and few in the years since.  Bear in mind, this occurred in the face of an unyielding onslaught of publicity by coin magazines with their Top Ten most sought after coin lists, All Points Bulletins and Be On the Look Out ads.

Most of the Forums experts have weighed in.  Those that have not possibly felt no need to.  No certified collector likes having his coin criticized or dismissed out of hand, especially publicly, but the OP has failed to make his case -- and I would respectfully urge against authentication as futile, being both a waste of time and money.  

2 minutes ago, Chickenswoup said:

Sorry Grandpa, but that’s just, like, your opinion.

Grandpa?  I've got a few years on him.  What's that make me?

Besides, have you checked this guy's bio?  He's got an array of heavy artillery to suit every occasion. He's been involved in photography for many decades. Not known to beat around the bush, he can be brash and direct -- but brutally honest and a fount of knowledge.

1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Besides, have you checked this guy's bio?  He's got an array of heavy artillery to suit every occasion. He's been involved in photography for many decades. Not known to beat around the bush, he can be brash and direct -- but brutally honest and a fount of knowledge.

That doesn’t justify bashing someone else’s equipment. I personally find no need in a magnifying glass, at least for now(28 so my eyes might get worse with age) I like the microscope, because I like to look at the details of coins, and see all sorts of abnormalities. If he can give me a good option, that can do the same, for under $200, please tell me. Otherwise he is just being a snob.

Edited by Chickenswoup

3 hours ago, Chickenswoup said:

Sorry Grandpa, but that’s just, like, your opinion.

I’ve examined thoroughly literally every USB scope I’ve ever encountered, and I’ve encountered very many. There is not one on the market I would own. I do own an Amscope brand optical stereo microscope with a camera attachment. 

Edited by VKurtB

[Whew, that was close!  Thank you Coinbuf and VKurtB for resisting the urge to ridicule the standard 30-power loupe I use for routine examinations. (While I have gotten a 5-to-7-power magnifying glass for my wife to use for reading, I still do not understand or appreciate its utility to coin collectors.)

My feeling is this:  if you really want to know what the vast majority of coins you have are supposed to look like, you get the finest example you can acquire and get a feel for its field, legends and overall terraine.  Then, when you encounter its more common, circulation grade stepson, you have a good idea of what detail is missing and the degree to which damage has occurred.

Truth be told, I am unsatisfied with my loupe and am going to upgrade (ideally when VKurtB isn't watching).

My best advice to our new member is consider the pros and cons, however expressed, and settle on what works for you.  And thank your lucky stars you were not asked to referee the Forum's heavyweight bout on the respective merits of which of the two sources of light are better for grading: incandescent or fluorescent. Take your time to get to know the players here, and what you read, with a grain of salt. 

5 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Copies deleted.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Multiple duplications

12 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

I am guessing I would be in the great grandpa class and I totally agree with Quintas Arrius. Wait did I just say that.?

12 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

I am guessing I would be in the great grandpa class and I totally agree with Quintas Arrius. Wait did I just say that.?

Thanks Ray,USMC

Finally someone agrees with me. A “penny” is the UK version of the North American cent. I once brought this up on another Forum and got shot down because there are some coin wrappers that say 50 pennies. It is not as bad here in Canada as they are mostly called correctly but there are some that incorrectly refer to them as pennies. I find that it is mostly newbies that make that reference and I try to correct them whenever I can.

I’m sure that there will be other opinions on this but I am old school and like to call a cent a cent.

Slang and shorthand are fine for those who use them, given that the target audience understands. I'm definitely not going to start saying "quarter dollar" for the 25c piece, and I wouldn't wait up for me to abjure "nickel" as slang for the 5c piece.

[Aside: Well, a police officer is still a cop in NYC and while I haven't heard G-man in many a blue moon, I still hear one-dollar bills referred to as bucks, five-dollar notes referred to as a fins and a ten-dollar bill referred to as a sawbuck.  If a Benjamin is a reference to the hundred-dollar bill, the Tubman for the twenty cannot be too far behind if some people have their way (though I hope they choose to use a more flattering photo of her than the one I have seen).

I can still remember when our older brethren referred to the large size currency once in circulation as horse blankets. Occasionally, you may hear ducats used as a reference to money. And while a disme sounds dismal, I have never heard anyone in the hobby object to the ten- and twenty-dollar gold pieces being referred to as "eagles" and "double eagles," respectively.]

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Missing closing bracket

1 hour ago, JKK said:

Slang and shorthand are fine for those who use them, given that the target audience understands. I'm definitely not going to start saying "quarter dollar" for the 25c piece, and I wouldn't wait up for me to abjure "nickel" as slang for the 5c piece.

Again I believe quarter is the correct reference for a quarter dollar. Penny in not for the cent. 

[Aside: Well, a police officer is still a cop in NYC and while I haven't heard G-man in many a blue moon, I still hear one-dollar bills referred to as bucks, five-dollar notes referred to as a fins and a ten-dollar bill referred to as a sawbuck.  If a Benjamin is a reference to the hundred-dollar bill, the Tubman for the twenty cannot be too far behind if some people have their way (though I hope they choose to use a more flattering photo of her than the one I have seen).

I can still remember when our older brethren referred to the large size currency once in circulation as horse blankets. Occasionally, you may hear ducats used as a reference to money. And while a disme sounds dismal, I have never heard anyone in the hobby object to the ten- and twenty-dollar gold pieces being referred to as "eagles" and "double eagles," respectively.]

Quintus, I assumed to get reference flak and just to be clear I don't object until it becomes clear to me that pennies are most often found in foreign coins and most of the nicknames you describe were way back on the seedy side of handling money . People can call  them anything they like, simply pointing out the correct name for the coveted cent sorry if this did not sit well with you. I will try to refrain from comic interjections going forward. No promises.US has been and always will be correctly CENT. 

5 minutes ago, Ray, USMC said:

Quintus, I assumed to get reference flak and just to be clear I don't object until it becomes clear to me that pennies are most often found in foreign coins and most of the nicknames you describe were way back on the seedy side of handling money . People can call  them anything they like, simply pointing out the correct name for the coveted cent sorry if this did not sit well with you. I will try to refrain from comic interjections going forward. No promises.US has been and always will be correctly CENT. 

Agreed. Matter of fact, I am going to stop using "two bits" but hope no one will begrudge my continued use, when circumstances dictate, of "case quarter."  😉

Impressive research by Conder101.  I am greatly indebted for bringing this to the attention of all, like me, who did not know.  Terms used matter.

Come on Quintus, this should all be considered common knowledge. 

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

Come on Quintus, this should all be considered common knowledge. 

Honestly, I never really thought about it.  I still don't know if the 1956 Flying Eagle cent is a pattern, a coin, or both. And I don't know why coins minted for circulation since dinosaurs roamed the earth suddenly became "business" strikes. I've got a lot to learn. 

SHARANN WINS!!!  you re all in need of beinf sent to your rooms without supper....  this will lend time for contemplation of the value of the United States copper CENT! hahhhahahahhaha  heheheheh