• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 copper penny
1 1

66 posts in this topic

i wouldnt spend it...i would burry it in the back yard and forget about it.  it isnt real :(

It might look like a 4, but until there's an image worth looking at, it's a 1. Everything about it looks like a worn teens penny.

43 minutes ago, JKK said:

It might look like a 4, but until there's an image worth looking at, it's a 1. Everything about it looks like a worn teens penny.

I concur.  Bailiff, call the next case.

I thought that I had found one also but it was just a toned steel penny. The date and wear on yours appears to be an early teens coin. It gets exciting just thinking that there are more out there though, good luck.

IMG_1703 (2).jpg

IMG_1704 (2).jpg

17 hours ago, JT2 said:

i wouldnt spend it...i would burry it in the back yard and forget about it.  it isnt real :(

A genuine '43, or counterfeit?

On 3/7/2021 at 9:57 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

A genuine '43, or counterfeit?

It not a fake it's hard to get it in pics because its worn but it says 43 no one on here th wakes the time to see that they automatically say that's not a 43 but it is it's just hard to get the pic when it's already worn 

Just now, Moneybagg ko said:

It not a fake it's hard to get it in pics because its worn but it says 43 no one on here th wakes the time to see that they automatically say that's not a 43 but it is it's just hard to get the pic when it's already worn 

It looks like it's been stamped twice because of how wide the date appears

41 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

The real reason its hard to get pics that show it to be a 1943 is because it is not a 1943 coin.

Devil's advocate here... Okay, you've got a genuine '43. Now that you've got it -- and 99.44% of all viewers here agree -- what are you going to do with it? The only thing you have not done, but can do: submit it for authentication.

Might be 1912, but I'm not going to try to convince someone who will not be convinced. By all means send it in for grading, and when you get the results back, post them and laugh at all the unbelievers. Give it to us with the bark on. Otherwise, you will be just one more in the long line of people who insisted he was right but didn't really believe it.

A better photo will help....but it does not look like anything except a date in the teens. (Remember the HS Prom -- and those teen dates? Always had to buy a corsage for the girl.)

Definitely not a 1943, and I did take the time to look at it.  The third number does not look at all like a 4, and the fourth number does not extend down far enough to be a 3.  Look at the tail of the 3 on a 1943, it loops down as low as the tail of the 9.

It doesn’t matter how many pictures you will take with a phone, it will still be too worn out to tell, you should get a digital microscope, if you are serious about collecting. Even if you are just getting into it(like I am) it really helps with determining which coin you have at hand, or it would help this community determine for you, by providing a much more detailed picture.

BD873503-6B37-4FB6-97C7-07332B87C93E.jpeg

I have to dissent on the recommendation of a digital scope. Garbage. Maybe an optical one, but not some junky USB embarrassment. 

[Editorial comment:  wait till Just Bob gets a hold of this thread and finds there is still no definitive explanation for why, after 30 posts, the OP continues to see a 1943 squarely against the current flow of popular opinion that maintains minus the corsage the coin is teen-aged.]