• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unknown gold coin
2 2

41 posts in this topic

I was thinking if that coin is genuine. Could some kind of strong acid cause that pitted appearance?  If it were exposed to some at one time or another. Or if it since it was found in a field could years of scattering strong fertilizer, such as triple 19, cause that? I've seen it eat up certain things really bad over the years of being a farmer. But don't know if it has an affect on gold or not. But it's definitely hard on tin and things like that. 

Edited by Hoghead515

13 hours ago, Lancek said:

Gold is a very stable metal.  Due to a full layer of outer electrons on its atom.  A gold coin buried 100 years will still look very much like a gold coin.  So, unfortunately, I have my doubts.

I am afraid Lancek hit this on the head.  I don't know what this. But I certainly know what it is not. And we still need a shot of that other side -- and the presence of any extant reeding. Guess we will all have to be patient.

Well, ladies and gentlemen, I did not have the coin analyzed, but I have come to my own conclusion that it is not what we'd hoped for. Thank you all for your encouragement... We will get em next time. Y'all have a great day and stay safe! 

16151151523473231223827308620671.jpg

20210307_045411.jpg

20210307_045210.jpg

2 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Is this someone's quaint way of saying I ordered pizza and a great big strawberry shake, for nothing? (I should've listened to Lancek.)

Yes, it is! I am so glad that you picked up on that one! I have only been on here for about three weeks as I am sure you know. I have enjoyed reading some of your comments because I thought you to be quite an intelligent person, heck, I even got upset when Karen said what she did. I have always been on your side. But I guess that's just the way I was raised. Do unto others, ya know? Well, I am gonna keep on abiding by my raising because God is the only person I know who doesn't make mistakes and I'll just let Him deal with you. Lancek is very smart and I appreciate his feedback because I am still learning and as for me, I am going to go eat my pizza, drink my shake, and see if I can't find another way to make you smile! I think you will find that it is easier and less exhausting than frowning and being grumpy all the time. I hope you have a wonderful day, @Quintus Arrius. 😊