• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gifts for young collectors

27 posts in this topic

This is a wonderful start. Perhaps we have all to soon forgotten ProfHaroldHill randon act of kindness at Christmas and the inspiration we saw with his grandsons exceptional vision to give beyond the initial giveaway. Lets all carry on this concept and take advantage of an opportunity to touch a Childs life in coins. Thank you for your inspiration Woods020.

That is very generous of you. A very special person on this forum gave my kids some coins and they really enjoyed them a whole lot. They have been looking at them almost everyday and been looking up coins like them on their phones. And have been researching them. That really helps children. I've witnessed it with my own eyes. It's good to get them into hobbies such as collecting. It helps keep them off the games and things such as that. That's so great my friend. You are a good person. 

As I promised here is the daily post to keep this thread up front and alive.  You see Hoghead515's children have been touched and a great testament to the fact that this thread could move so many other children. Look at the reactions. In the next few days I will make my decision and proceed with furthering this thread. Again I thank Woods020 for posing this great idea. Please follow his lead.

7 hours ago, Ray, USMC said:

Wanting to keep this thread on the top of the listings because I believe it has merit. Children are special little creatures. Collectors need to inspire children and this is a good place to start. IMO

Yes sir. I agree with ya. Them little ones is what life's all about. Love to see them all get into a hobby like this. They can learn some valuable life lessons. And also maybe keep them off drugs if they got a hobby they are into. 

Woods020, I am going to PM you sometime today as I have selected a recipient and coins. I would like to discuss how we go forward with your program. My selection is based solely on my observations of posts on the forum.

Thanks

Moving this to the daily top of the list for exposure. I would have thought by now there would have been more interest in what could be beneficial to furthering youth interest. We all have something to share I would think.

On 3/9/2021 at 8:42 AM, Woods020 said:

No takers as of yet

On 3/13/2021 at 6:52 AM, Ray, USMC said:

Moving to the top but losing hope quickly .

If you guys follow my journals you know I have two young boys that I'm trying to share the love of this with. I've been following this but I'd hate to take from this because I have a multi-generational, multi-national collection of coins to pass to them as it is.

Revenant, I read most of what you post and enjoy most of it. In this case I think you may have missed the intent. I feel I know Ben. I see you as a dedicated Family man. It is admirable that you, like many collectors, are leavening coins to your boys. That is not the same. My willingness to participate in this idea was not to make long time collectors inspired. I would like it to be something  to create a coin story for a young collector. Maybe an example of a relatively random unknown person that gave something to them that was not expected or inherited. You would not be taking from this as it is freely given. My choices are made solely from postings on this forum, all parents with potential future collectors are in that mix. Maybe as the child grows they remember it and they are inspired in life and not just in collecting. If I am understand your post you feel you would be taking away from someone else when in fact it may be denying a gifter the pleasure of attempting to help you inspire your children, regardless of what you will leave them. I am just trying to explain why I am participating and I hope I have not posted anything here that could be misinterpreted. The gifter chooses not the recipient. Just my opinion.   

3 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

Agreed. If you have kids who this will inspire in some way feel free. PM me their info and I’ll send something no questions asked. 

This is exactly what this thread is all about and still Only Woods020 and I have stated the same thing let us know or wait for us to choose. We are still wanting as many long term collectors to share to inspire all young collectors.

On 3/17/2021 at 10:32 AM, Woods020 said:

Agreed. If you have kids who this will inspire in some way feel free. PM me their info and I’ll send something no questions asked. 

On 3/17/2021 at 10:40 AM, Ray, USMC said:

This is exactly what this thread is all about and still Only Woods020 and I have stated the same thing let us know or wait for us to choose. We are still wanting as many long term collectors to share to inspire all young collectors.

Sorry I'm slow to respond on this but life is a bit crazy and I have a lot of balls in the air. But I'll circle back on this.