• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1802 Large Cent
3 3

21 posts in this topic

This coin belongs to my son and we have been trying to figure out what variety it is. I looked at a web site that has the different varieties on it but I can't really tell enough to narrow it down. The coin has some type of corrosion or something on it that messes with my eyes. I was hoping maybe some of you all that are well educated on them can tell which one it is. My son wanted one of these really bad so we got it for him for Christmas because it wasn't wore plum out like alot of them and it was the best looking one in the price range. If you can tell anything about it from the corrosion.  Don't matter how good of a picture I take it's still hard to tell. The coin in hand looks just like it does in these pictures. Very fuzzy. Thank you my good friends for the help. I means a whole lot to me when you all take the time to help me. I wish there was some way I could return the favor. Polish_20210304_212339943.thumb.jpg.ceae7fdfbd2a54f712e6842558b8b08e.jpgPolish_20210304_212235008.thumb.jpg.9c27c071921067c7c87b36f6caa9306a.jpg 

Have you tried posting it ATS also? Someone between both forums will surely know. I have an 1805 and someone had found the variety for it for me. That was quite a while back. 

1 minute ago, bsshog40 said:

Have you tried posting it ATS also? Someone between both forums will surely know. I have an 1805 and someone had found the variety for it for me. That was quite a while back. 

This is the only one I posted it to. I'm not a member at any of the other ones. This is the only one I belong to. Does it look to you like that coin spent some time under ground? That's what I was maybe thinking about it due to that corrosion. And those scratches. Figured a digger may have hit it. Also looks like they tried to clean some of that stuff off. I was thinking it may have been a metal detector find. 

I may be into Roosters now but I have always liked copper.  I can't tell you what variety it is -- I will leave that for the experts but you've got yourself one helluva early piece there and the date and legends appear to be legible.

Yea I would imagine a possible detector find. Still pretty cool though. If ya want, I can steal your pics and post it ats to help ya out. Here's my 1805 It's suppose to be an S-268 R-3.

1805 Large Cent.jpg

4 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

Yea I would imagine a possible detector find. Still pretty cool though. If ya want, I can steal your pics and post it ats to help ya out. Here's my 1805 It's suppose to be an S-268 R-3.

1805 Large Cent.jpg

Nice early find!

11 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

1805 Large Cent.jpg

I very much appreciate it. Your more than welcome to and I thank you for the help. Very nice 1805. I love those early coppers. I'm hoping one of these days to get one pre 1800. Any pictures I ever put on this forum of any coin or anything you and everyone else is more than welcome to use them for anything if you all want to or need to. Thank you for helping me. 

I wish there was a way to clean that corrosion off that one but I'm afraid of hurting it worse than it already is. If it didn't have those big scratches on it I'd send it in to NCS and see if they could conserve it. I figured I'd just leave it as it is. Probably wouldn't be worth it.

Edited by Hoghead515

Well the coin is probably about Good condition. Conservation is gonna cost at least $25 and then grading is another $22 besides buying a membership or finding someone to submit for you. Then it can't be guaranteed that they will be able to conserve it. If you have patience and don't want to spend much money you can always get you a small glass jar, get you some virgin olive oil, (not the olive oil that likes to run around, Lol) couldn't help myself. Anyway, soak it in olive oil for a few months and see if it will loosen any of the junk on it. 

Edited by bsshog40

I've already got a membership to NGC. I've made a few submissions but they have been moderns. Haven't sent in one yet that may come back in a body bag. That's what I'm afraid of if I send it in.  I may try the olive oil. If it dont run off on me. Lol. Let it soak and try that rose thorn trick JustBob was talking about the other day. I appreciate it. Never thought of that.  Thank you for the advice. 

3 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

I've only gotten one response soo far. 

Looks like S.233 to me. R2+.

Worn denticles and corrosion make attributing a little dicey.
Lance.

Thank you for taking the time to get it checked out. Its very much appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Hoghead515 said:

Thank you for taking the time to get it checked out. Its very much appreciated. 

No prob! I'll keep an eye on the post to see if anything else comes up. 

Bobby

I am a firm believer in denticle insurance for both coins which sport them and classic buildings which incorporate them as appropriate in their facades awash with architectural details.

59 minutes ago, Lancek said:

Corrosion like that on copper has usually eaten into the surface.  Nothing you or anybody at NCS could do that would make a difference.

Sometimes removing it just leaves bigger holes.

From NCS section, "there are certain problems that cannot be remedied, such as corrosion, wear, scratches,"

Very true but the reverse looks like layers of something, almost as if this may have been lacquered at one point. 

3 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

Very true but the reverse looks like layers of something, almost as if this may have been lacquered at one point. 

I agree. Looks like parts of a layer of something has peeled off and parts of it are still stuck on it. 

1 hour ago, Lancek said:

Corrosion like that on copper has usually eaten into the surface.  Nothing you or anybody at NCS could do that would make a difference.

Sometimes removing it just leaves bigger holes.

From NCS section, "there are certain problems that cannot be remedied, such as corrosion, wear, scratches,"

[Agreed; incidentally, now that I have less Ignorers than VKurtB's got followers, can we bury the hatchet and become friends?)

Leaf point below center of upright of D.  That is only seen on two rev dies and those dies were used for 233, 234, 235, and 236.  233 comes from one rev die the other three come form the other rev.

S-233 has an inner berry right of the T in Cent.  The other rev has no berry in that location.  Your coin has a berry.  You have S-233 an R-2 coin.

2 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

Leaf point below center of upright of D.  That is only seen on two rev dies and those dies were used for 233, 234, 235, and 236.  233 comes from one rev die the other three come form the other rev.

S-233 has an inner berry right of the T in Cent.  The other rev has no berry in that location.  Your coin has a berry.  You have S-233 an R-2 coin.

Thank you very much Condor. I'll label it on the coin flip. I really appreciate it 

On 3/5/2021 at 1:45 PM, bsshog40 said:

I've only gotten one response soo far. 

Looks like S.233 to me. R2+.

Worn denticles and corrosion make attributing a little dicey.
Lance.

Old boy was right. Condor confirmed it.