• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Next Newbie Question Regarding Professional Grading

6 posts in this topic

I have noticed there are coins of all different grades and values which have been professionally graded by one of the grading services.

What factors should go into the decision to get a coin professionally graded?

11 hours ago, JKK said:

If it's about collecting enjoyment, then the answer is "because you want to." For example, e

10 - 4 on that JKK  I have some that i have slabbed not because they are valueable  but just becasue i wanted to have a little date run or set.. for example i graded all of my SBAs and placed them in lighthouse binder.  now i know people will say what the heck!!  what are you doing JT!!  but then i have them all in a uniform orderly manner and Here they are in this one binder..............

16 hours ago, caltx01 said:

I have noticed there are coins of all different grades and values which have been professionally graded by one of the grading services. What factors should go into the decision to get a coin professionally graded?

Most VALUABLE coins are graded because at some point buyers become sellers and the market is higher and deeper and larger for graded, certified coins.  With all the problems that the TPGs bring in terms of grading standards, they are INFINITELY BETTER than no-standards which is what you have when dealers self-grade.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

The first thing to consider is: authentication. Is the piece an authentic, unaltered item? That is why these companies were formed. They have the expertise shared by very few others to authenticate coins and medals, etc.

The second is: condition. What is the state of preservation ("grade") compared to a perfect, new example? This might also include popular descriptors such as "proof-like."

The third is: Cost/Value. Is the minimum cost of about $40 for authentication, grading, postage, and insurance going to result in an increase in the item's fair market value. If it is something you plan to sell, then you want the TPG cost to be recovered on sale. If you are sending in the item for some other reason, then examine alternatives, such as buying good plastic holders for a few cents each.