Cherry Pickers Post
5 5

201 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, J P Mashoke said:

Thats ok, I still call stuff what it looks like. We get a lot of coin pictures here that are damaged after they come out of the US Mint it is called PMD and most of the time it is a coin that has been changed in some way by man or machine. So yours is a blank dime planchet with only that small part of the dime showing on it, is that correct.

Thanks again for your help. That sounds about right flat dime and top of head 

 

42 minutes ago, Lem E said:

A vintage 83 P Skippy. Very nice!:golfclap:

 

3 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

@James Zyskowski It's a shame a perfectly good planchet -- weight-wise, metal miscegenation, depth, diameter and polish -- was so rudely marred by the graffiti artist, "DIME" whose "creations" will never rival those of TAKI 183.  :makepoint:

Taki183. Isn’t that the infamous leather, hammer, couple coins and like magic you got yourself an overprint 🤔

Link to post
Share on other sites

What are the odds of finding another 2016 Cumberland Gap with the same Die deterioration doubling on both sides. There must have been thousands punched out before they changed the die. Now I have 2 of them not that it is worth anything but still a cool find.

S20210605_0004.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J P Mashoke said:

So here it is almost summer and after hand picking through a few hundred rolls to find the best BS circulated coins my winter project is done. I could have just bought the sets but what fun would that have been. I never would have found the V75 quarters or all the defective coins. Some of the early ones are hard to find and I am still looking for the New 2021 George Washington Park Quarter.

20210605_191952 (1).jpg

20210605_191838.jpg

I just found my first George Washington P Park today.  Will trade one of my P for a D.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2021 at 7:22 PM, Rummy13 said:

I just found my first George Washington P Park today.  Will trade one of my P for a D.

Congratulations we’re still looking for a W quarter in the wild let alone Tuskegee  or new Washington   Very small town 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, James Zyskowski said:

Congratulations we’re still looking for a W quarter in the wild let alone Tuskegee  or new Washington   Very small town 

I still have not found the Tallgrass W. Seems to be hiding from me, but I look at $100 worth of quarters a week hope its in one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Look at this it is like the copper was worn off. I was not sure if it was grease or what, it was kinda sticky so I washed it off now it is ruined another experiment gone wrong in someone's laboratory somewhere. Poor Abe is always getting abused.

S20210611_0001.jpg

S20210611_0002.jpg

Edited by J P Mashoke
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J P Mashoke said:

Look at this it is like the copper was worn off. I was not sure if it was grease or what, it was kinda sticky so I washed it off now it is ruined another experiment gone wrong in someone's laboratory somewhere. Poor Abe is always getting abused.

S20210611_0001.jpg

S20210611_0002.jpg

My uninformed guess is the coin was lightly spritzed with silver paint dispensed from an aerosol can or atomizer. No big deal.  In fact, if the silver were real, its application may have increased the value of this expensive-to-produce, intrinsically worthless cent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

My uninformed guess is the coin was lightly spritzed with silver paint dispensed from an aerosol can or atomizer. No big deal.  In fact, if the silver were real, its application may have increased the value of this expensive-to-produce, intrinsically worthless cent.

I thought so also Quintus but in reality after further investigation it is the zinc your seeing the copper is really that thin that it rubs off .LoL. Hard to believe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J P Mashoke said:

I thought so also Quintus but in reality after further investigation it is the zinc your seeing the copper is really that thin that it rubs off .LoL. Hard to believe.

Lincoln, zincoln, schminkin.  Going, going, gone.  Unbelievably sad!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2021 at 5:11 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Lincoln, zincoln, schminkin.  Going, going, gone.  Unbelievably sad!

Ya that last penny was a sad story , But this one is really toned I like it , Not worth anything but a penny still kinda nice

S20210612_0001.jpg

S20210612_0002.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, J P Mashoke said:

Ya that last penny was a sad story , But this one is really toned I like it , Not worth anything but a penny still kinda nice

S20210612_0001.jpg

S20210612_0002.jpg

Seems like the early zinc cents toned up nice. I have a few 83/84s that are nicely toned.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@J P MashokeHey Dude, with 7 pages of comments I just can't do that right now. But reading through the 1st page I noticed some things you said that gave me questions to ask you. Do you know, better,have you read any articles or watched any videos on the total process of striking a Coin? And do you know about things like Die Marriages? Like with the Dimes that had the same scratches, for example, that is because the scratch isn't on the Coins but rather is on the Die that Struck them. And I think, not sure because idk enough about it, your 'Tall A' could be due to a change of the Working Hammer Die, ie, a new Die Marriage. The Anvil Die may stay the same but the Hammer Die may have broken and been changed out, or visa versa. See? So the 2 original Dies got divorced and a new Hammer man came in and was married to the Anvil that had remained in use.   See what I mean? Just thought if you didn't already know that kind of stuff my words would be important to you. If nobody in those other 6 pages hadn't already mentioned it. Karen

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ended up getting one of the more elusive 2012 quarters in change yesterday. Not in too bad of shape, but does have its war wounds. Always nice to fill an empty hole in the album.

9782D1C3-FBEA-4528-82BE-2B101C0DE45E.jpeg

284B29D6-B553-48DA-89FC-430217288230.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
5 5