• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cherry Pickers Post
4 4

244 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, J P Mashoke said:

Thats ok, I still call stuff what it looks like. We get a lot of coin pictures here that are damaged after they come out of the US Mint it is called PMD and most of the time it is a coin that has been changed in some way by man or machine. So yours is a blank dime planchet with only that small part of the dime showing on it, is that correct.

Thanks again for your help. That sounds about right flat dime and top of head 

42 minutes ago, Lem E said:

A vintage 83 P Skippy. Very nice!:golfclap:

3 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

@James Zyskowski It's a shame a perfectly good planchet -- weight-wise, metal miscegenation, depth, diameter and polish -- was so rudely marred by the graffiti artist, "DIME" whose "creations" will never rival those of TAKI 183.  :makepoint:

Taki183. Isn’t that the infamous leather, hammer, couple coins and like magic you got yourself an overprint 🤔

What are the odds of finding another 2016 Cumberland Gap with the same Die deterioration doubling on both sides. There must have been thousands punched out before they changed the die. Now I have 2 of them not that it is worth anything but still a cool find.

S20210605_0004.jpg

1 hour ago, J P Mashoke said:

So here it is almost summer and after hand picking through a few hundred rolls to find the best BS circulated coins my winter project is done. I could have just bought the sets but what fun would that have been. I never would have found the V75 quarters or all the defective coins. Some of the early ones are hard to find and I am still looking for the New 2021 George Washington Park Quarter.

20210605_191952 (1).jpg

20210605_191838.jpg

I just found my first George Washington P Park today.  Will trade one of my P for a D.

On 6/5/2021 at 7:22 PM, Rummy13 said:

I just found my first George Washington P Park today.  Will trade one of my P for a D.

Congratulations we’re still looking for a W quarter in the wild let alone Tuskegee  or new Washington   Very small town 

3 hours ago, James Zyskowski said:

Congratulations we’re still looking for a W quarter in the wild let alone Tuskegee  or new Washington   Very small town 

I still have not found the Tallgrass W. Seems to be hiding from me, but I look at $100 worth of quarters a week hope its in one.

Look at this it is like the copper was worn off. I was not sure if it was grease or what, it was kinda sticky so I washed it off now it is ruined another experiment gone wrong in someone's laboratory somewhere. Poor Abe is always getting abused.

S20210611_0001.jpg

S20210611_0002.jpg

Edited by J P Mashoke

Look at this it is like the copper was worn off. I was not sure if it was grease or what, it was kinda sticky so I washed it off now it is ruined another experiment gone wrong in someone's laboratory somewhere. Poor Abe is always getting abused.

S20210611_0001.jpg

S20210611_0002.jpg

My uninformed guess is the coin was lightly spritzed with silver paint dispensed from an aerosol can or atomizer. No big deal.  In fact, if the silver were real, its application may have increased the value of this expensive-to-produce, intrinsically worthless cent.

31 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

My uninformed guess is the coin was lightly spritzed with silver paint dispensed from an aerosol can or atomizer. No big deal.  In fact, if the silver were real, its application may have increased the value of this expensive-to-produce, intrinsically worthless cent.

I thought so also Quintus but in reality after further investigation it is the zinc your seeing the copper is really that thin that it rubs off .LoL. Hard to believe.

I thought so also Quintus but in reality after further investigation it is the zinc your seeing the copper is really that thin that it rubs off .LoL. Hard to believe.

Lincoln, zincoln, schminkin.  Going, going, gone.  Unbelievably sad!

On 6/11/2021 at 5:11 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Lincoln, zincoln, schminkin.  Going, going, gone.  Unbelievably sad!

Ya that last penny was a sad story , But this one is really toned I like it , Not worth anything but a penny still kinda nice

S20210612_0001.jpg

S20210612_0002.jpg

3 hours ago, J P Mashoke said:

Ya that last penny was a sad story , But this one is really toned I like it , Not worth anything but a penny still kinda nice

S20210612_0001.jpg

S20210612_0002.jpg

Seems like the early zinc cents toned up nice. I have a few 83/84s that are nicely toned.

@J P MashokeHey Dude, with 7 pages of comments I just can't do that right now. But reading through the 1st page I noticed some things you said that gave me questions to ask you. Do you know, better,have you read any articles or watched any videos on the total process of striking a Coin? And do you know about things like Die Marriages? Like with the Dimes that had the same scratches, for example, that is because the scratch isn't on the Coins but rather is on the Die that Struck them. And I think, not sure because idk enough about it, your 'Tall A' could be due to a change of the Working Hammer Die, ie, a new Die Marriage. The Anvil Die may stay the same but the Hammer Die may have broken and been changed out, or visa versa. See? So the 2 original Dies got divorced and a new Hammer man came in and was married to the Anvil that had remained in use.   See what I mean? Just thought if you didn't already know that kind of stuff my words would be important to you. If nobody in those other 6 pages hadn't already mentioned it. Karen

The first pages was when I first came to the forum. After listening to the members and there vast knowledge I have a much better grasp on the goings on with the coin word . Thanks for your help Karen.

Ended up getting one of the more elusive 2012 quarters in change yesterday. Not in too bad of shape, but does have its war wounds. Always nice to fill an empty hole in the album.

9782D1C3-FBEA-4528-82BE-2B101C0DE45E.jpeg

284B29D6-B553-48DA-89FC-430217288230.jpeg

What a mess this is . What do you all think Acid Bath that found all the voids in the cent ?

S20210620_0003.jpg

S20210620_0004.jpg

@J P Mashoke Finally, proof in cinemascopic technicolor. The President's death was due to a perforated carotid. Right side. (It is worth noting the round to the cheek, though not fatal, was a major contributing, i.e, aggravating factor.)  😑

Here is one for the thread. Looks to me like a small strike through on the t in states. Maybe a small piece of string or debris.

E505C84A-BA8A-4BD8-9E3F-2BA83CD74D61.jpeg

27973CDA-9C93-4AFA-BE74-E582869B1BC7.jpeg

A0D2CE9D-FCEE-45DE-9BF2-89DB4283C359.jpeg

4 hours ago, J P Mashoke said:

This is why I still roll hunt. 17 years old and it still looks almost new.

S20210626_0003.jpg

S20210626_0002.jpg

Keep your eyes open. Many put away BU rolls, only to find out later that nobody wanted any. They are finding their way back into the banking system. 

Here is another fine example of ,I believe Die deterioration where the die was polished with some (60 grit sandpaper, Just Joking) but the scratches in the field make it look like the letters are doubled

S20210627_0001.jpg

Here's another joke!  I believe you have -- preliminarily -- discovered the first tripled-die quarter in existence and the dominant T consummated his numis-marriage with E, his neighbor.  It goes without saying the Mint then wasn't introduced to the concept of "keying the drum" or was understaffed.  :makepoint:

[Note:  if I am disciplined for the crime of introducing a bit of levity in the Forum, now and again, I resurrect the quote from the German, Nietzsche:  "What does not kill me strengthens me."]