• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cherry Pickers Post
4 4

244 posts in this topic

So I stop by my favorite antique dealer looking for something odd today and I see this for $20 LoL I figure at scrap silver it is worth $15 but the Nickel is worth maybe $20 and Ben maybe $11 But I thought it was a funny looking set for someone to make up not sure why nothing matches up?

The oddball set.jpg

The odd ball set. 2 jpg.jpg

1 hour ago, J P Mashoke said:

So I stop by my favorite antique dealer looking for something odd today and I see this for $20 LoL I figure at scrap silver it is worth $15 but the Nickel is worth maybe $20 and Ben maybe $11 But I thought it was a funny looking set for someone to make up not sure why nothing matches up?

The oddball set.jpg

The odd ball set. 2 jpg.jpg

Here is a shot of the 1905 Liberty nickel, Kinda in nice shape

S20210427_0003.jpg

S20210427_0004.jpg

[There is a disturbing trend engaged in by some to disparage the finds of others. I am not going to do that.  Some may say the hoped-for MS-67 is nothing of the kind or suggest if the imperfection cited is a water drop, it can easily be dispatched with a momentary dip in distilled water or dismiss the entire specimen by claiming ten years from now, he will have wished be kept those five rolls of 200 nickels instead.

Even if the coin were to be submitted for certification competing with the billions in circulation, he would be blessed with an opinion probably no different than one offered by a Skid Row bum.  The best I can do -- and the very least I will do -- is congratulate him and hope things work out to his liking. My unsolicited advice to others is be mindful of what you say and, more importantly, how you say it lest you suffer the same fate thoughtlessly doled out to other fellow collectors irrespective of station in life, never to be heard from again.]

18 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

[There is a disturbing trend engaged in by some to disparage the finds of others. I am not going to do that.  Some may say the hoped-for MS-67 is nothing of the kind or suggest if the imperfection cited is a water drop, it can easily be dispatched with a momentary dip in distilled water or dismiss the entire specimen by claiming ten years from now, he will have wished be kept those five rolls of 200 nickels instead.

Even if the coin were to be submitted for certification competing with the billions in circulation, he would be blessed with an opinion probably no different than one offered by a Skid Row bum.  The best I can do -- and the very least I will do -- is congratulate him and hope things work out to his liking. My unsolicited advice to others is be mindful of what you say and, more importantly, how you say it lest you suffer the same fate thoughtlessly doled out to other fellow collectors irrespective of station in life, never to be heard from again.]

LoL :roflmao:in other words it is just a penny JP .

Yes Quintus it is ..Please do not feel I would be offended, for I think of myself as a odd type of collector anyway just look at my posts.lol Granted when I am roll hunting it is a rarity to find anything without  a nick or scratch on it and the water droplets I refer to is what I call the stains the US Mint is leaving on or grows on all the new coins it is some kind of leftover residue that won't wash off. Oh and I came up with the MS 67 rating because in a previous post I showed I bought a roll of worn uncirculated Nickels for $9 so the reason the penny is worth more than 5 bad rolls of nickels is on PCGS price chart  it is worth $48 it was $60 ???Dang I missed the boat again. And believe me when I say I would never send a coin in to anyone but NGC and only if It was worth $250 or more. I am a cheap SOB and I won't spending $ unless I get more back:signfunny:  

Edited by J P Mashoke

So I am trying to improve my Identification skills. I picked this coin up and said I have to post this one. Would you call this Abrasion Doubling it is the same on the opposite of the coin and just on that one corner everything else looks ok. there are scratches in the background like the die clashed and then was rubbed out to fix it. As Wexler's Die Variety's explains I think the background scratches are the determining factor.  

S20210429_0001.jpg

S20210429_0003.jpg

]You've got clearly observable doubling occurring here, there, and everywhere -- look at that bifurcated cross-bar on T in QUARTER! -- and you want to direct the congregation's attention to scratches?Forget about the distractions and look at the major attractions:  legends festooned with surprise die distortions!]

[How the heck did we go from gorgeous bifurcated cross bars from the Truman era... to toilets, or the lack thereof?  Where's the guys who spout all that BACK ON TRACK stuff?]

Note:  No offense fellas; just blowin' off steam.  

8 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

look at that bifurcated cross-bar on T in QUARTER! --

I will have to agree with Quintus on this one. That T, and also the E (in QUARTER) could not have been a result of any DDD or Abrasion Doubling, or anything else IMHO..... Way too pronounced and extremely and clearly obvious looking to me. If that is a result of a lighting issue or glare then you have my vote for the Golden Emmy award for fooling coin photography!! 

Edited by GBrad

Now.... granted I do see some DDD on LIBERTY... but QUARTER looks very promising. It’s a known fact that there can be both MD/DDD on a coin that also exhibits real doubling. Just my 2 cents worth here on this one. 

6 hours ago, GBrad said:

I will have to agree with Quintus on this one. That T, and also the E (in QUARTER) could not have been a result of any DDD or Abrasion Doubling, or anything else IMHO..... Way too pronounced and extremely and clearly obvious looking to me. If that is a result of a lighting issue or glare then you have my vote for the Golden Emmy award for fooling coin photography!! 

I also was a little leery about the lighting and reflection I always double check.  So I placed another of the same coin next to it  and that coin was fine. Then I took some upside down shots and some of me holding it on a 45 degree to check and see if  the lighting changed it but I can still see the doubling and it is still there every time. Tell me what you think here are the shots

S20210430_0001.jpg

S20210430_0002.jpg

S20210430_0003.jpg

S20210430_0004.jpg

7 hours ago, J P Mashoke said:

Tell me what you think here are the shots

Hey J P.  I have to admit that your original pics appeared much more defined regarding possible doubling on the devices others and myself were referring to. In your latest pics I'm just not seeing the same thing brother.......  The T in QUARTER just doesn't look as convincing now (No offense whatsoever is meant(thumbsu).  IMHO I am now seeing more of a resemblance of DDD and/or MD.  In my "mind's eye", by visualizing an overlay of the obverse and reverse of this coin, it seems to me that what appears as doubling is all completely shifted in the same Westward direction.  This makes me believe this may be more of a result of strike doubling or something of that nature...... Just my opinion here.  hm

15 hours ago, GBrad said:

you have my vote for the Golden Emmy award for fooling coin photography!! 

And also J P.... NO disrespect at all was meant by my comment above brother!!! Not that I believe you took it that way but now that I read it again I feel that it had the potential to come across as rude or insulting. I was just kidding around, definitely could've used better wording....lol, as I know you wouldn't try to, or intentionally attempt to, fool anyone with photography.  Just wanted to clear that up. (thumbsu

6 minutes ago, GBrad said:

And also J P.... NO disrespect at all was meant by my comment above brother!!! Not that I believe you took it that way but now that I read it again I feel that it had the potential to come across as rude or insulting. I was just kidding around, definitely could've used better wording....lol, as I know you wouldn't try to, or intentionally attempt to, fool anyone with photography.  Just wanted to clear that up. (thumbsu

No offence taken.;) I like to be thorough that is why the microscope is great but you have to do the angle Shots to look at it also, the scratches in the background amplify the image when you look straight on. That is why I was thinking maybe Die deterioration or Abrasion Doubling,  there is definitely something going on I can still see doubling of some kind. Here is some more angle shots. This is a tough one to figure out I appreciate you all looking at this . LoL

S20210430_0008.jpg

S20210430_0009.jpg

S20210430_0010.jpg

Seeing a lot of Flow Lines now in those pics which usually signifies a worn die which may better explain what looks like doubling as a result of die deterioration.  

57 minutes ago, GBrad said:

Hey J P.  I have to admit that your original pics appeared much more defined regarding possible doubling on the devices others and myself were referring to. In your latest pics I'm just not seeing the same thing brother.......  The T in QUARTER just doesn't look as convincing now (No offense whatsoever is meant(thumbsu).  IMHO I am now seeing more of a resemblance of DDD and/or MD.  In my "mind's eye", by visualizing an overlay of the obverse and reverse of this coin, it seems to me that what appears as doubling is all completely shifted in the same Westward direction.  This makes me believe this may be more of a result of strike doubling or something of that nature...... Just my opinion here.  hm

I concur.

16 hours ago, GBrad said:

Seeing a lot of Flow Lines now in those pics which usually signifies a worn die which may better explain what looks like doubling as a result of die deterioration.  

In my first post I mentioned what you call the flow lines. I called them scratches and I am sorry you could not see them as good on the first shots I posted.

So I am trying to improve my Identification skills. I picked this coin up and said I have to post this one. Would you call this Abrasion Doubling it is the same on the opposite of the coin and just on that one corner everything else looks ok. there are scratches in the background like the die clashed and then was rubbed out to fix it. As Wexler's Die Variety's explains I think the background scratches are the determining factor.  

I think we are all on the same page when we say the Die has been repaired and therefore it is causing the letters to look doubled from reflection or metal flow from Die Deterioration not necessarily Abrasion Doubling. 

3 hours ago, J P Mashoke said:

In my first post I mentioned what you call the flow lines. I called them scratches and I am sorry you could not see them as good on the first shots I posted.

I think we are all on the same page when we say the Die has been repaired and therefore it is causing the letters to look doubled from reflection or metal flow from Die Deterioration not necessarily Abrasion Doubling. 

Honestly, I don't know.  What I do know is whatever it is called, I like it!

I agree with Quintus. I like it too even though I don’t believe it will carry anything more than face value IMO. Without personally having the coin in hand to inspect it, it would be very difficult to determine exactly what type of mechanical doubling it has. There are actually numerous types and forms of MD that most people are not aware of. I will try to post a link later to a very informative site that explains the different types of what are referred to as “worthless doubling” as opposed to true doubling. 

21 minutes ago, GBrad said:

I agree with Quintus. I like it too even though I don’t believe it will carry anything more than face value IMO. Without personally having the coin in hand to inspect it, it would be very difficult to determine exactly what type of mechanical doubling it has. There are actually numerous types and forms of MD that most people are not aware of. I will try to post a link later to a very informative site that explains the different types of what are referred to as “worthless doubling” as opposed to true doubling. 

I go here to look first before I post anything  https://www.doubleddie.com/721634.html

I found my first Weir Farm V75 W today.  The 4 others I have are Tall Grass Prairie. I was beginning to wonder if there were any left to pick up. I don't think the V75 punch is going to last on the coin in circulation very long I could barely see it only a year later?

S20210506_0003.jpg

S20210506_0004.jpg

@J P Mashoke That's okay.  Years from now, when that punch disappears altogether, some enterprising young numismatist will designate it: "2020-W quarter dollar (missing privy."  The coin collecting fraternity worships varities.

WE. Have a winner. The 2021 penny has a crack under WE  that makes two oddities for the new one the other was the hair out of place I call the pony tail.

S20210512_0002.jpg

S20210423_0008.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Those aren't die cracks. They're too broad for that. They appear to be gas occlusions that forced up the brass plating at the moment of striking. These were very common on the early zinc cents 1982-84, but they still occur in later pieces.

33 minutes ago, DWLange said:

Those aren't die cracks. They're too broad for that. They appear to be gas occlusions that forced up the brass plating at the moment of striking. These were very common on the early zinc cents 1982-84, but they still occur in later pieces.

Thanks DWLange,  I learn something new every day. I don't post something unless I have multiple copies of the coin.  I have 6  or more of each of these finds all the same that is why I thought it was something wrong with the Die.

Nice finds JP. While not any type of error or anything, I did find this surprisingly crisp clean 1993 P quarter in change the other day. I was shocked how good of shape it was in.

9F9820F9-F03E-47E7-9061-DD848ABA8549.jpeg

93048D8B-4A25-4EF8-9DFF-133CBD967AA0.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Lem E said:

Nice finds JP. While not any type of error or anything, I did find this surprisingly crisp clean 1993 P quarter in change the other day. I was shocked how good of shape it was in.

Pristine clean.  Must have been in a holding pattern somewhere.  🤔

11 minutes ago, Lem E said:

Ya That is really in good shape, I find the strikes much better in the 1990 to 99 Quarter's compared to now days  

19 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Pristine clean.  Must have been in a holding pattern somewhere.  🤔

The reeding on the edge was even still a little sharp. Thought maybe a mint set had been broken up or something and spent. Who knows. Now it’s in a flip.