• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cherry Pickers Post
4 4

244 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Never seen this one before. Too bad they never got a chance to finish that giant guillotine on top of the Capitol.

Well well well, this is another example of why I love to roll hunt. This must have been a collection and someone just started rolling stuff up.

Remember I said I had not seen and 2009 in a while well in one of the bank rolls I got yesterday with 2 rolls of all wheat's there was this roll of primo pennies. 2008 the last year of the Lincoln memorial a bunch of all 4 of the 2009 Lincoln Formative Years pennies and a bunch of 2010 first year of the shield cents, Also there were no other years but these 3 and most in MS condition  

2008-2009-2010.jpg

S20210331_0011.jpg

S20210331_0012.jpg

S20210331_0013.jpg

S20210331_0014.jpg

S20210331_0015.jpg

S20210331_0016.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I'm afraid your 1946 is not a mint error. It's a coin that was diminished from some corrosive action after leaving the mint.

11 hours ago, DWLange said:

I'm afraid your 1946 is not a mint error. It's a coin that was diminished from some corrosive action after leaving the mint.

Thank you for looking at it DWLange... I made this post to put up coin errors and odd stuff I find for everyone to see.  I agree the coin is junk has been around the block in the laboratory and through the washer. People do strange thing to coins?. I see many coins worn out as thin as a dime roll hunting the only thing about this one is it was even thinner than a dime and the circumference was also the size of a dime which I don't see a lot. Here is a shot of the coin over another penny. you can see it fits inside the rim of the coin behind it. Kinda cool.

S20210421_0001.jpg

Edited by J P Mashoke

Found a nice MS looking 2009 Early Childhood today. There not worth a whole lot unless it would grade a 67 but there is a mark on the C in cent, it is still nice to find them.

S20210422_0001.jpg

S20210422_0002.jpg

Edited by J P Mashoke

Loomis must be cleaning out the back of their vaults or something, like I said a couple of weeks ago, rolls of pennies are amazing. Hardly any, if any, Shields. Usually about two thirds in the 70's, the remaining third in 50's and 60's, occasional teens, 20's and 30's. I have everyone in the family getting them, except daughter is wore out from it. I'm giving away all the ones in the teens the last two weeks, undulated with them. I'd like to call Loomis, but would imagine security would laugh, hang up, and call the FBI.  LOL     

38 minutes ago, ronnie stein said:

Loomis must be cleaning out the back of their vaults or something, like I said a couple of weeks ago, rolls of pennies are amazing. Hardly any, if any, Shields. Usually about two thirds in the 70's, the remaining third in 50's and 60's, occasional teens, 20's and 30's. I have everyone in the family getting them, except daughter is wore out from it. I'm giving away all the ones in the teens the last two weeks, undulated with them. I'd like to call Loomis, but would imagine security would laugh, hang up, and call the FBI.  LOL     

I agree I have been picking rolls rerolling the zinc and taking out all the copper coins that look good enough to file away and putting what copper is left in a big tin for when copper goes back up.

So I stopped by one of my antique shops today to see what was new. I forgot my Magnifying Glass so I wanted to give my numismatics a test for the fun of it and see if you guys agree with me. I looked at this Indian Head Nickel and said it looks to clean it was $4 so no big deal . Here is what I think ,(take a look and let me know what you think). I am seeing a massive cleaning with tool marks in the field around the buffalo and Indian face and nose also I was seeing some scratches that look like X's on both sides. I remember some of the old collectors would take a razor knife to coins that were bad so not to sell or look at them again.;)

S20210422_0006.jpg

S20210422_0005.jpg

S20210422_0007.jpg

S20210422_0009.jpg

Looks like a 'shirt tail' wiping, 'spit and wipe', behind the neck and under the Buff, but who cares. Still nice for $4 or whatever. Nice find. As usual, I have to clarify, "no cleaning is good on any coin". ---------------------------- After looking through 203,976,454,789,191 1 cent rolls, I have yet to find a Cam or a Wam. No 1992 CAM is acceptable, I guess, but a WAM, you'd think at least ONE.  GBrad and some others find them occasionally, but ronnie sure doesn't. Haven't found a double eared or eyed or bow tie, etc.. Not griping, just saying. Oh well, I will !!! maybe....   

18 minutes ago, ronnie stein said:

GBrad and some others find them occasionally, but ronnie sure doesn't.

Thanks for the "plug" there Ronnie.:foryou: Actually got lucky and found my 4th WAM a few days ago..... got 2- 98's and 2-2000's now, but can't seem to pin down a 99' while CRH...... But..... because you're a good feller, heck..I may just mail ya one.  Hang in there and keep on alookin!!!! You will come across one pal!

2 minutes ago, GBrad said:

Thanks for the "plug" there Ronnie.:foryou: Actually got lucky and found my 4th WAM a few days ago..... got 2- 98's and 2-2000's now, but can't seem to pin down a 99' while CRH...... But..... because you're a good feller, heck..I may just mail ya one.  Hang in there and keep on alookin!!!! You will come across one pal!

Ya ,no WAM's here yet but I am still always a picking and a grinning.

1 minute ago, J P Mashoke said:

Ya ,no WAM's here yet but I am still always a picking and a grinning.

You'll find one, they are definitely out there for the taking.  Off the subject here, but what kind of guitars you got?  I have a few acoustics myself and love to play. My prized possession is a 1938 Martin 00-18, small body.  It doesn't see much action for obvious reasons and is kept under lock and key for the most part.... 

1 hour ago, Alex in PA. said:

Use to buy it annually but I quit when I bought the Mega Book 5th Edition.  

The 2022 is the 75th anniversary so I got it. I like it for a quick look on my desk  and the coil binder makes it easier to look through but the internet has way more info nowadays than my last book in 19 years 2003 or this one has.

2022 Red Book.jpg

21 minutes ago, GBrad said:

You'll find one, they are definitely out there for the taking.  Off the subject here, but what kind of guitars you got?  I have a few acoustics myself and love to play. My prized possession is a 1938 Martin 00-18, small body.  It doesn't see much action for obvious reasons and is kept under lock and key for the most part.... 

Oh my ..A 1938 Martin is worth a buck or 2. LoL  I am just a Simple Guitar player Country and Classic Rock  I have a El-cheepo  20 year old Esteban  acoustic electric was in the local shop never been played still had wrap on the pick guard and keys got it for $150 and It is the best sounding cheep guitar stays in tune also have a used 80 or 90 s Fender star caster and a old 70s Avanti Bass and a 1967 Fender Rhodes keyboard .  LoL  I just love old stuff 

Edited by J P Mashoke

2 hours ago, J P Mashoke said:

I have a El-cheepo  20 year old Esteban  acoustic electric was in the local shop

Esteban made some pretty good stuff. I saw a YouTube video awhile back of an artist playing an Esteban and it was absolutely phenomenal. Here’s my saying that I’ve always believed in:

“It’s not the arrow, it’s the Indian”

Doesn’t matter what you are playing with no matter if it’s golf, tennis, guitar, etc........ The skill set is in the player. I’m sure that 6 string of yours is capable of putting out some beautiful stuff and I’m inclined to believe you are probably a pretty good player!!! And yes, my Martin is a keepsake for sure. My late father got it from a guy for $15 bucks that was owed to him when he was stationed overseas in Korea while in the Air Force. Don’t think I’ll be parting with it anytime soon......

31 minutes ago, GBrad said:

Esteban made some pretty good stuff. I saw a YouTube video awhile back of an artist playing an Esteban and it was absolutely phenomenal. Here’s my saying that I’ve always believed in:

“It’s not the arrow, it’s the Indian”

Doesn’t matter what you are playing with no matter if it’s golf, tennis, guitar, etc........ The skill set is in the player. I’m sure that 6 string of yours is capable of putting out some beautiful stuff and I’m inclined to believe you are probably a pretty good player!!! And yes, my Martin is a keepsake for sure. My late father got it from a guy for $15 bucks that was owed to him when he was stationed overseas in Korea while in the Air Force. Don’t think I’ll be parting with it anytime soon......

A great story goes with every guitar. An older guitar player that used to be in my band in the eighty's Had a Gibson hollow body, starburst red I think it was a original Les Paul it was a piece of work. I asked him how long he had it he bought it brand new in 1957 man what a sound. 

So I am going through our new 2021-P  Pennies to see if I can find any without bag marks. Dang it is almost imposable they are so soft they get nicks and scratches almost as soon as they are sent out the shoot. But I have notated that Abe Lincoln has a pony tail this year.  

S20210424_0001.jpg

S20210423_0008.jpg

3 hours ago, J P Mashoke said:

So I am going through our new 2021-P  Pennies to see if I can find any without bag marks. Dang it is almost imposable they are so soft they get nicks and scratches almost as soon as they are sent out the shoot. But I have notated that Abe Lincoln has a pony tail this year.  

S20210424_0001.jpg

S20210423_0008.jpg

JP,

Glad you are having so much fun in this hobby. It is kind of addictive that’s for sure. Finding the perfect coin is a daunting task but something to keep you going. In the mean time, you may run across higher grade examples nonetheless. Pay attention to coins that have fewer marks and clean primary focal areas. For example look for pennies with clean faces on Lincoln. The face/head are the marks that count against you the most. Contrast that with marks in less focal areas or on the reverse aren’t as bad from a grade stand point. You probably know this but if not thought I would help. 

Also what has helped me a ton looking at rolls is it’s an easy real time way to start learning about strike quality. If you look through a few roles you start seeing major differences in strong vs weak strikes, or coins with worn dies that have rough areas on the coin. Remember a strong strike is already ahead of the game in grading vs a weak one or worn dies. A strong strike with a few more marks, depending on how many and what, may grade higher than a weak strike with fewer marks. Going through rolls it quickly becomes apparent what the differences in strike are and I personally think it’s a great way for a newbie or kid to start. It’s a cheap way to learn a ton if you really want to. 

7 hours ago, Woods020 said:

Also what has helped me a ton looking at rolls is it’s an easy real time way to start learning about strike quality. If you look through a few roles you start seeing major differences in strong vs weak strikes, or coins with worn dies that have rough areas on the coin. Remember a strong strike is already ahead of the game in grading vs a weak one or worn dies. A strong strike with a few more marks, depending on how many and what, may grade higher than a weak strike with fewer marks. Going through rolls it quickly becomes apparent what the differences in strike are and I personally think it’s a great way for a newbie or kid to start. It’s a cheap way to learn a ton if you really want to. 

Yes I find all the new quarters and pennies are a week strike on the obverse ,dimes and nickels are still week but better and Denver mint is almost always a better strike than Philly.  San Francisco and West Point are the best but they have to be.. LoL

Edited by J P Mashoke

I got some new 2021 penny rolls to look at for the weekend to see if I could get some perfect unmarked coins after 12 rolls or more I got 3 pennies that are as close as can be expected. ???

S20210425_0002.jpg

S20210425_0003.jpg

Edited by J P Mashoke

So lets try this out for a rainy Sunday. I picked up this shiny Quarter for $8.75 anyone think it is market value or just a Silver Quarter ?

S20210425_0010.jpg

S20210425_0009.jpg

Must be a misprint on that roll of nickel's it should say 1960 D ,REC-irculated Nickel's lol  so I got 40 Buffed out 1960 D some with compound still on them. Not 1 fs most did not have any steps. LoL  I am out $7 but I was not surprised just hopeful that someone was not trying to be shady:ph34r: I even told the girl at the cash register at the antique dealer it was a longshot they would be unc coins....These two were about the worst. Have a peek and a laugh:roflmao:  

S20210425_0012.jpg

S20210425_0011.jpg

S20210425_0013.jpg

S20210425_0014.jpg

1 hour ago, J P Mashoke said:

Must be a misprint on that roll of nickel's it should say 1960 D ,REC-irculated Nickel's lol  so I got 40 Buffed out 1960 D some with compound still on them. Not 1 fs most did not have any steps. LoL  I am out $7 but I was not surprised just hopeful that someone was not trying to be shady:ph34r: I even told the girl at the cash register at the antique dealer it was a longshot they would be unc coins....These two were about the worst. Have a peek and a laugh:roflmao:  

S20210425_0012.jpg

S20210425_0011.jpg

S20210425_0013.jpg

S20210425_0014.jpg

That is unfortunate JP. The 60 D is a very tough date to find a good example let alone a FS piece. I don’t know the pops ATS but there are 0 full step examples graded by NGC. MS67 is top pop here. Good luck on your hunt and let me know if you ever find one. Ill give you 10x face value for it. (thumbsu

52 minutes ago, Lem E said:

That is unfortunate JP. The 60 D is a very tough date to find a good example let alone a FS piece. I don’t know the pops ATS but there are 0 full step examples graded by NGC. MS67 is top pop here. Good luck on your hunt and let me know if you ever find one. Ill give you 10x face value for it. (thumbsu

I remember you telling me one time if I ever came across a 1960 D to grab it . Well I see this whole tube and I said what the hey maybe there is one FS..............Nope...  but it's ok It was a fun treasure hunt anyway.;) 

Look what I found not a nick on it maybe some water spots one of these MS 67 is worth 5 bad rolls of 60-D nickels.lol

S20210427_0001.jpg

S20210427_0002.jpg

Edited by J P Mashoke