• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cherry Pickers Post
4 4

244 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, JKK said:

Wasn't joking. There's a chemical, Nic-a-date.

that's cool . Does it effect the value of the coin most of the ones I save are real worn out anyway but it may be fun to see how old they are

Edited by J P Mashoke

It'll never be anything but a nic-a-lened (altered) coin, but you will very likely learn the date. At least, provided you have more discipline and patience than 98% of collectors. The rest are just going to *spoon* it up, lose the date for good, and complain that it didn't work.

3 hours ago, JKK said:

This is true but would not such "restoration," which always leaves a cloudy residue, affect the marketability of the coin? I believe most collectors consider this a last resort measure employed solely to satisfy their curiosity.

1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

This is true but would not such "restoration," which always leaves a cloudy residue, affect the marketability of the coin? I believe most collectors consider this a last resort measure employed solely to satisfy their curiosity.

Thank you all for you comments . I can truly say I am grateful for the knowledge I am getting in the forums..:golfclap: 

Edited by J P Mashoke

7 hours ago, DWLange said:

Nic-A-Date!

Yes that is cool. I watched a video on it and it looks like it remove a thin layer of dirt and metal, So I would think NGC would consider it a coin that has been cleaned if you were to send in a nickel to be graded after using it. 

I have some strange friends that when told that cleaned coins will always be detected by TPG companies they just have to try to fool them. I have seen cleaned coins that have gone undetected and went on to receive full grades. Graders are hummin and therefore not perfect so mistakes can happen ( not very often) but it can happen. The same holds true when you try to get a coin of an obvious variety such as "edge lettered" and when you get it back the label states "Plain edge".. Disappointing news but everyone is capable of mistakes. Even graders. Just my opinion.

A light dip in MS-70 may likely go undetected (and there is a debate on "dipping" vs "cleaning").  Dealers have been dipping coins to try to improve luster for a long time.  However, I feel pretty confident that Nic-a-Date would be easily detected by the TBG.  

I have never seen Nic-a-date used where the color of the coin has not been altered in some way (generally darker grey).  Given that the solution is used on the most viewed spot on a coin (the date), I think it would be a rarity to slip past.

Edit:  Forgot to mention... JP, really great finds!  Great pictures!  Glad you are having fun with it.  I CRH with my young kids, and we have a blast!!!  Keep it up - and keep sharing those cool finds!

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

39 minutes ago, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I have never seen Nic-a-date used where the color of the coin has not been altered in some way (generally darker grey).  Given that the solution is used on the most viewed spot on a coin (the date), I think it would be a rarity to slip past.

Any time you see Nic-a-date leaving a darker grey, someone was a corner-cutter. However, when it is used without corner-cutting, the problem is opposite. The raised date area is too bright. It still shows the date, though, which it doesn't if a corner-cutter does it.

Of course, that assumes that the substance was used only on the date mound, not on the whole coin. I hope and pray no one on this forum would be foolish enough to do the latter, not even the noobiest noob.

Thanks for the info guys, Look  here another bank roll with 9 Heads in it must be someone cleaning house. I can see some dates on these better. No big winners but it is still cool to find them in rolls in 2021 

More Heads.jpg

S20210312_0001.jpg

S20210312_0002.jpg

S20210312_0003.jpg

S20210312_0004.jpg

S20210312_0005.jpg

On 3/2/2021 at 6:01 PM, Lem E said:

Welcome to the forum. Showing off some nickels. I like ya already.

I am doing some Nickel rolls today and I have some odd finds?? I wanted to ask you all about. What are these scratches from a counting machine or die cracks?? The coins are 4 from 1994 and 3 from 1997  I used to save those 2 years looking for the matt finish Nickels.

Any thoughts . Jeep

S20210225_0007.jpg

S20210225_0008.jpg

S20210225_0009.jpg

Edited by J P Mashoke

9 hours ago, J P Mashoke said:

I am doing some Nickel rolls today and I have some odd finds?? I wanted to ask you all about. What are these scratches from a counting machine or die cracks?? The coins are 4 from 1994 and 3 from 1997  I used to save those 2 years looking for the matt finish Nickels.

Any thoughts . Jeep

S20210225_0007.jpg

S20210225_0008.jpg

S20210225_0009.jpg

To me, some areas look raised and some don’t. I’m not going to sit here and say I have seen every error and die crack or chip on every nickel, but from your photos, regarding the nose to the E line, I am seeing a bit of a pattern. This could be a common weak spot on the obverse die for a crack to form. This is only my opinion. 

6 minutes ago, Lem E said:

To me, some areas look raised and some don’t. I’m not going to sit here and say I have seen every error and die crack or chip on every nickel, but from your photos, regarding the nose to the E line, I am seeing a bit of a pattern. This could be a common weak spot on the obverse die for a crack to form. This is only my opinion. 

And a valid one at that. I was drawn to the facial bruising and extraterrestrial rim dinging (notably absent from the bottom mugshot but getting progressively worse as you work your way up) that I am obliged to withdraw my wisecrack... In light of Lem E's astute observation and disciplined disclosure, the jury is directed to disregard the remark(s) of the witness [Q.A.] in their entirety.

21 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

And a valid one at that. I was drawn to the facial bruising and extraterrestrial rim dinging (notably absent from the bottom mugshot but getting progressively worse as you work your way up) that I am obliged to withdraw my wisecrack... In light of Lem E's astute observation and disciplined disclosure, the jury is directed to disregard the remark(s) of the witness [Q.A.] in their entirety.

I could also be very wrong, but feel the obligation to reply when quoted. I do agree with you. There are some rough marks for sure.

11 hours ago, Lem E said:

I could also be very wrong, but feel the obligation to reply when quoted. I do agree with you. There are some rough marks for sure.

This is great everyone is so cool here and to have others with experience checking out these errors I find. I hope you are enjoying this stuff as much as I am. It is not so much the coins are worth anything but the fact that there is something wrong there. LoL ..Through a regular hand held microscope these coins look wonderful. The microscope I use when zooming in real close will find the best looking of coins to have marks that look like the surface of the moon. I like it that way I can see for sure if a coin has FS or FT as for these coins the (nose scratch) was found on 7 different coins not always in the exact same spot and from 2 different years so the mystery is 2 deferent years of multiple die breaks?? or a machine the dispenses the coins and scratches them in the same spot for years on end. ???? So the first coin here is from 1997 and the second is from 1994 the only thing that makes me think it is a die crack is it leaves behind extra metal. I am no expert for sure:roflmao: but it seams logical that a crack in the die would allow the metal to flow up into it then leaving the extra behind after the strike. Look how the metal is on top of the E on the 97 but you can really see it on the outside edge of the 94 . Let me know what you think please. JP

S20210313_0001.jpg

S20210313_0002.jpg

Yep, die cracks. A raised surface is a sure sign, as you said metal will be forced up into the crack. That's a common area for die cracks on Jeff's, at least it seems to be.

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
spelling

12 hours ago, J P Mashoke said:

This is great everyone is so cool here and to have others with experience checking out these errors I find. I hope you are enjoying this stuff as much as I am. It is not so much the coins are worth anything but the fact that there is something wrong there. LoL ..Through a regular hand held microscope these coins look wonderful. The microscope I use when zooming in real close will find the best looking of coins to have marks that look like the surface of the moon. I like it that way I can see for sure if a coin has FS or FT as for these coins the (nose scratch) was found on 7 different coins not always in the exact same spot and from 2 different years so the mystery is 2 deferent years of multiple die breaks?? or a machine the dispenses the coins and scratches them in the same spot for years on end. ???? So the first coin here is from 1997 and the second is from 1994 the only thing that makes me think it is a die crack is it leaves behind extra metal. I am no expert for sure:roflmao: but it seams logical that a crack in the die would allow the metal to flow up into it then leaving the extra behind after the strike. Look how the metal is on top of the E on the 97 but you can really see it on the outside edge of the 94 . Let me know what you think please. JP

S20210313_0001.jpg

S20210313_0002.jpg

Yes this definitely looks like a common weak spot. Very nice work for you to pick up on that JP. I always thought it would be cool to have enough coins from the same die in hand to see the progression of a die crack. I wonder how long they will still use the die once they see a problem? Anyone?

On 3/10/2021 at 11:01 AM, JKK said:

Which renders any numismatic  value nil. 

53 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Which renders any numismatic  value nil. 

Which is precisely why I said:

"It'll never be anything but a nic-a-lened (altered) coin, but you will very likely learn the date."

Just in case anyone needed to be told.

So I go to the bank today to get some rolls of quarters for my hunt and the girl says you saving weird coins Mister. I said ya what ya got ??? and she shows me this baggy and wants to know if I want them.. So I took them off her hands.

2 ... 1976.....3..1971 and 7...1972  Nothing great but I had to take them home and at least give them a good look.

Ikes.jpg

Hello Everyone. I just joined as I am interested in getting more familiar with how to grade coins and maybe even see if I can afford to collect some, LOL. I guess I'll just jump into the most active thread :)

I currently have an interesting find. It is some kind of promo package that contained 12 1972 Eisenhower Dollars in uncirculated condition and am wondering if anyone out there has heard of anything like this around that time. I am attaching pictures of one of the coins front and back as well as a picture of the sealed enclosure that the coins were in. I would like to know about grading the coin (ninjagrades welcome) as well as any information regarding their origins.

I also have a few of what I think are errors that I will be uploading as well for comments. Thank you.

IKE72III001a Front.jpg

IKE72III001b Back.jpg

IKE72III001c Pack.jpg

4 hours ago, V33J@ said:

Hello Everyone. I just joined as I am interested in getting more familiar with how to grade coins and maybe even see if I can afford to collect some, LOL. I guess I'll just jump into the most active thread :)

I currently have an interesting find. It is some kind of promo package that contained 12 1972 Eisenhower Dollars in uncirculated condition and am wondering if anyone out there has heard of anything like this around that time. I am attaching pictures of one of the coins front and back as well as a picture of the sealed enclosure that the coins were in. I would like to know about grading the coin (ninjagrades welcome) as well as any information regarding their origins.

I also have a few of what I think are errors that I will be uploading as well for comments. Thank you.

IKE72III001a Front.jpg

IKE72III001b Back.jpg

IKE72III001c Pack.jpg

Welcome to the forum. I am not a expert like some of the other members here and there are some really good people to ask. The coins were nice at one time but it looks like it has a lot of bag marks.  Nice picture. Was that with a phone or a USB microscope. 

Yes, I'm hoping someone here would be able to tell me why it was in a sealed enclosure in the first place. They all have a lot of bag marks I guess they were transported in bags before being placed in the packaging. I took the pics with a DSLR but I do plan on getting a USB Microscope. I have one in my shopping cart. Thanks!

14 hours ago, V33J@ said:

Yes, I'm hoping someone here would be able to tell me why it was in a sealed enclosure in the first place. They all have a lot of bag marks I guess they were transported in bags before being placed in the packaging. I took the pics with a DSLR but I do plan on getting a USB Microscope. I have one in my shopping cart. Thanks!

I have some mint sets that some of the coins have marks on them and they are in sealed plastic flat packs. So they don't pick the cream of the crop at the mint some members here have told me and the bigger coins are the worst for marks.

Yes. I read that dollar coins take a beating. I guess that's why they put Ike on the front of it, LOL. I saw an MS64 on EBay that sold for 25 and an MS62 trying to get 499. I love EBay, LOL. They both had a bunch of marks on them too so I guess grading is less stringent for that year.