• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cherry Pickers Post
4 4

244 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

My name is Jim, I am new to the forums and I am coin saver LoL.  I would not call myself a collector yet... more of a roll hunter. I have been saving old looking and error coins for a while. Now that I have retired it is fun to go looking through my old stuff and check new bank rolls for error coins. I am sure there are a lot of members out there that know way more than I could ever imagine so I am making this thread for myself and people who want to post there odds and ends and maybe get some feedback and have some fun.   

Thanks for you time.

JP Mashoke

4 minutes ago, Ray, USMC said:

Worcester , I have relatives outside of Worcester. Loved the Cape.

Ya Cape Cod is a cool place to live Expensive but love it.

Thanks Woods, Kinda funny you say that My granddaughter came by one day and saw me struggling looking at my coins with a magnifying glass.

She said Papa you need a USB microscope for that and gave me one the next day. I cant believe what I was missing. Now I can see and record the errors.

Like this die scratch around George's neck

S20210225_0001.jpg

4 hours ago, J P Mashoke said:

Thanks Woods, Kinda funny you say that My granddaughter came by one day and saw me struggling looking at my coins with a magnifying glass.

She said Papa you need a USB microscope for that and gave me one the next day. I cant believe what I was missing. Now I can see and record the errors.

Glad that you are enjoying the hobby, those marks behind and in front of the neck are not die scratches or an error.  Those lines got there because the die was lapped (polished) to remove some damage, likely from a die clash.   Die polish is quite common and is part of the coin making process and is not considered an error.

Thanks for your comment and knowledge Coinbuf. I am amazed at the stuff I have been finding . I went to the bank today and got some rolls looking for PL+FT Dimes . I start looking through a roll and putting scratched and damage stuff to one side. All of a sudden I relies the scratches and dents are in the same spots on a lot of the coins. I found 3 different variations 6 coins each of the same errors.

Very Cool.....

Proof Like Full Torch.jpg

Error 1.jpg

Error 2.jpg

Error 3.jpg

19 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

Coins are tricky to photo. Especially to maintain clear detail. Lighting is always a struggle. I would say atleast 75% of the time, if not more, the answer most posters receive is nothing can be determined from their pictures. Yours are really good and those with the knowledge should be able to see what they need to see easily. She taught you well. 

LoL she did not teach me. She makes jewelry and just felt bad for me so she gave me her Microscope. But I thank you for the nice complement on my shots.

Edited by J P Mashoke

Other than you definitely know it's 1982 or later, as you can see the plating. I don't think it's worth a ton, but I also don't think most error collectors would toss it.

On 3/3/2021 at 6:42 AM, J P Mashoke said:

S20210225_0001.jpg

[Having been eviscerated in these columns for examining my coins with a 30-power loupe, it pleases me to no end a fellow member unabashedly admits to using a microscope! With your extraordinary visual aid in tow, comes a mystery... if in fact the break you cite on Monticello's east "wall," is in fact just that, why are there steps leading up to to it much like those at the main entrance?  (One day, I hope to get to the bottom of exactly who those ghostly figures are gazing out of the windows of the left portico of Monticello -- or whether it is simply an illusion.) The photographs you have provided to illustrate your point are hands-down the finest I have ever viewed on this site! (I wish some of our seasoned veterans were here to see this for myself.)

11 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

[Having been eviscerated in these columns for examining my coins with a 30-power loupe, it pleases me to no end a fellow member unabashedly admits to using a microscope! With your extraordinary visual aid in tow, comes a mystery... if in fact the break you cite on Monticello's east "wall," is in fact just that, why are there steps leading up to to it much like those at the main entrance?  (One day, I hope to get to the bottom of exactly who those ghostly figures are gazing out of the windows of the left portico of Monticello -- or whether it is simply an illusion.) The photographs you have provided to illustrate your point are hands-down the finest I have ever viewed on this site! (I wish some of our seasoned veterans were here to see this for myself.)

Thank you Quintus Arrius. The USB microscope is so much easer then a handheld magnifier and the lighting and angel is very important for a good photo.  I am having a great time being here on the site and I will continue to post my finds for all to comment on. Being new to this I may not be versed in all of the terms for coin variations but there are many members who are commenting and helping me along and I thank them all.

I found some new variations on the 2020 penny while roll hunting yesterday. 2 die cracks and a offset punch that makes the letters taller..... I call one a Crack Head.... A crack A ...,The other A tall A.lol

S20210306_0004.jpg

S20210306_0003.jpg

S20210306_0001.jpg

Edited by J P Mashoke

On 3/4/2021 at 7:17 AM, J P Mashoke said:

Here is a fun one I got in my change one day at the store. To bad it has no date showing it might be worth something.

S20210303_0001.jpg

S20210304_0001.jpg

[Judging by the minimal wear on Lincoln's countenance and overall condition, we may be looking at an error -- which still has value to a collector of errors despite absence of a date -- that may very well have been minted in the last few years.] 

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Missing closing bracket

Hello everyone,,, Well look what I found doing my roll treasure hunting in a roll of 49 dimes. Someone was trying to fill the space and save 10c. I got this VF rivet from the backside of a snap button and a 25c 1969 Belgie............. So I win  :takeit:

S20210310_0001.jpg  Hello everyone,,, Well look what I found doing my roll treasure hunting in a roll of 49 dimes.

Someone was trying to fill the space and save 10c. I got this VF rivet from the backside of a snap button and a 25c 1969 Belgie............. So I win  :takeit:

S20210310_0002.jpg

S20210310_0003.jpg

Edited by J P Mashoke

[Aside:  When I'd take my gone-thru coin rolls to the Korean green grocers, they'd simply throw them up on a digital scale in lieu of manually counting each coin out. I wonder if that rivet would have registered.  Once when I brought them a freshly-printed and BEP-strapped stack of one dollar bills -- all consecutively numbered, mind you, from me, a long-time customer -- they counted each one out by hand. I don't know about you, but I don't think I would have done that.]

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Missing word

I think someone in my area is cleaning house .I got some old style wraps from the bank where I get my coins and they have been producing quite a few nice finds. 5 in one roll only one readable date on these but I still keep them.

S20210310_0004.jpg

5 heads.jpg

3 minutes ago, JKK said:

There's a way to make those dates come back.

LoL really how's that work ?

Just now, J P Mashoke said:

LoL really how's that work ?

Wasn't joking. There's a chemical, Nic-a-date.