• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Full steps question

20 posts in this topic

Y'all just thought I was gonna be quiet today, but I am not 😊

So, since the only stupid question is the one NOT asked, here we go... I heard or read something somewhere that for a coin(of course I am talking about a nickel) to be considered to have full steps it has to be graded MS-60 or above. Is that correct is my first question. My next non-stupid because I asked question is this... Is that so people will know that even if the back of it is completely perfect, no flaws whatsoever, that the front can't look like it's been beaten with a sledgehammer and still be of value? 

11 minutes ago, Mr.Bill347 said:

Both sides have to be mostly the way they came from the mint. Including the front.832DBA9C-AA55-4215-914A-E81ABD1092F0.thumb.jpeg.8cfb809cf0370a437d8a95f1c867ef03.jpeg

A546806D-7B02-4AAC-98C2-A0B0F5BF0253.jpeg

I thought that was what it meant but was just making sure. Thank you! 

Outta check out some of LemE's nickles. He has got a sweet collection of them going on. I'd say when he gets back on here and sees this post he may post a couple for you to see that has full steps. If you talk to him real nice. He's got them in the registry. I can't speak for him or nothing but he's a good dude. He probably wouldn't care. As long as you don't get mean or nothing. 

24 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

Outta check out some of LemE's nickles. He has got a sweet collection of them going on. I'd say when he gets back on here and sees this post he may post a couple for you to see that has full steps. If you talk to him real nice. He's got them in the registry. I can't speak for him or nothing but he's a good dude. He probably wouldn't care. As long as you don't get mean or nothing. 

Well, you know I don't have a mean streak in me... Not even one. Lol. Thank you. He may do it since you mentioned it anyway. I'll keep my fingers crossed 🤞

1 minute ago, Sharann said:

Well, you know I don't have a mean streak in me... Not even one. Lol. Thank you. He may do it since you mentioned it anyway. I'll keep my fingers crossed 🤞

He's a really good person. He probably would. He can probably tell you anything you want to know about them. Thats what he mostly collects. 

Just now, Hoghead515 said:

He's a really good person. He probably would. He can probably tell you anything you want to know about them. Thats what he mostly collects. 

Thank you 😊

I’m not sure about the whole MS60 full step thing. I am not a professional grader. I’m not even an amateur grader. Just a collector. I would say that a nickel could have full steps regardless of condition of the rest of the coin. If they are undamaged then it is what it is. However, this is highly unlikely as the steps are one of the most vulnerable spots on a nickel. All it takes is one hit that merges two or more steps together and the full step designation is out the window. That is presuming that they were full steps to begin with. Early nickels had a lot of striking issues. The metal is extremely hard which makes the striking process very difficult. This is a quote from Bernard Nagengasts book. “The Jefferson Nickel design suffers from an inherent flaw. The highest point on the obverse, Jefferson’s hair above his ear, was set exactly opposite the step area on the reverse. Unless die pressure was high, the distance between dies at the lowest point of travel and/ or the hair at the ear would not be fully struck up.”  Full step nickels carry a premium for the early years (actually all years). Some years have almost no specimens with steps. These older coins with full steps can get quite pricey. It has also been noted that dies were wiped with oily rags and a combination of the oil, metal dust, lint, grease, and other things create a sort of paste that would get into the recessed parts of the dies creating a strike through issue. This would hinder the details in the strike as well. Several hub and die improvements have been made since the early days. I think starting around 1987, the step detail got much better. Full step coins are almost common place now. Hope this helps a little. P.S. Thanks to my brother Hoghead. 

11 minutes ago, Lem E said:

I’m not sure about the whole MS60 full step thing. I am not a professional grader. I’m not even an amateur grader. Just a collector. I would say that a nickel could have full steps regardless of condition of the rest of the coin. If they are undamaged then it is what it is. However, this is highly unlikely as the steps are one of the most vulnerable spots on a nickel. All it takes is one hit that merges two or more steps together and the full step designation is out the window. That is presuming that they were full steps to begin with. Early nickels had a lot of striking issues. The metal is extremely hard which makes the striking process very difficult. This is a quote from Bernard Nagengasts book. “The Jefferson Nickel design suffers from an inherent flaw. The highest point on the obverse, Jefferson’s hair above his ear, was set exactly opposite the step area on the reverse. Unless die pressure was high, the distance between dies at the lowest point of travel and/ or the hair at the ear would not be fully struck up.”  Full step nickels carry a premium for the early years (actually all years). Some years have almost no specimens with steps. These older coins with full steps can get quite pricey. It has also been noted that dies were wiped with oily rags and a combination of the oil, metal dust, lint, grease, and other things create a sort of paste that would get into the recessed parts of the dies creating a strike through issue. This would hinder the details in the strike as well. Several hub and die improvements have been made since the early days. I think starting around 1987, the step detail got much better. Full step coins are almost common place now. Hope this helps a little. P.S. Thanks to my brother Hoghead. 

All I can say is wow! Y'all are all so full of knowledge. Knowledge IS key. Thank you so much for sharing yours with me! (Did you notice that rhymed? Haha. I just made that up that little jingle) I do appreciate it. 

This is a pic of a 1939 REVERSE OF 1938 NGC 67-5FS. Sorry for pic quality in advance. (Mainly trying to show step detail)

A7AA68AB-58B1-48C4-8259-6E12A5B4E9E2.jpeg

Edited by Lem E
Edited to add.

Thank you LemE. That was some great info. First time I have heard that. I haven't read or studied on none of the individual coins yet. Still reading on the minting process and reading on some stories out of some really old magazines. They have got some awesome articles in them. A little bit of everything. I been enjoying them a whole lot. I'm eventually gonna start reading about individual coins. I think im gonna quit fooling with most moderns and start collecting some of the older Washington quarters. Pre 64. I really like that design. I really like the Jefferson nickles also. I may grab some of them also if I get a chance. But that was some great info. Thanks for sharing that with us. Those are some very nice coins you shared also. Appreciate it my friend. 

49 minutes ago, J P Mashoke said:

Hi All, I am new to the forums. I do a lot of roll hunting for errors and FS is always a hard find. I live on the east coast so I have better luck with P mints than D or S mints. Here is a 2020 P that is nice and 2020 D that is toast. Fun fact the post on the right of the door is attached on Philly Coins but floating on the Denver coins.

Philadelphia.jpg

Denver.jpg

Thats pretty cool.