• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1945 Lincoln Cent Thick Planchet
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Recently purchased two 1945 Lincoln Cents when I noticed they are very thick an heavy.

1.8mm thick and 63.4 and 62.4 grains.

Could these be a Pollock-2079?

As always, please post your opinions...

1945 Lincoln_Obv_01.png

1945 Lincoln_Rev_01.png

1945 Lincoln_Obv_02.png

1945 Lincoln_Rev_02.png

Grams or grains?  And we are using an AVOIRDUPOIS weight scale right?  How about a profile shot of that edge?  Is there such a thing as a genuine piefort (sometimes spelled piedfort) Lincoln Cent? 

2 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Grams or grains?  And we are using an AVOIRDUPOIS weight scale right?  How about a profile shot of that edge?  Is there such a thing as a genuine piefort (sometimes spelled piedfort) Lincoln Cent? 

P.S.  All of my Lincolns come in at just under 2.00 mm.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The target weight for a cent of the 1864-1982 period is 48 grains or 3.11 grams. While those coins are a bit heavy they appear to be of the normal brass composition. It's possible that the strip was rolled a little too thick, which would not be unusual given the pressure of 24-hour operation and inexperienced employees that marked the war years. 

This is neither here nor there but me feels -- the copper content and value of wheaties having long been spoken for -- all pennies minted hereinafter ought to be re-engraved 2-1/2 cents.  All in favor, say Aye!

On 3/1/2021 at 4:17 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

This is neither here nor there but me feels -- the copper content and value of wheaties having long been spoken for -- all pennies minted hereinafter ought to be re-engraved 2-1/2 cents.  All in favor, say Aye!

OK. Get out your graver and start scratchin'. That's you job for the next 7,000 years. ;)

First thing I would do it double check the accuracy of the scales because those weight figures are seriously high.  The Pollock pieces would most likely have been proofs which these are not, but if the weights are confirmed they would be rolled thick planchet errors and these would be far enough off (around 4 grams) to definitely be worth a premium.

Edited by Conder101

On 3/2/2021 at 5:42 PM, RWB said:

OK. Get out your graver and start scratchin'. That's you job for the next 7,000 years. ;)

Seriously, it's getting awfully tiring hearing so many people concerned about rounding up and down.  This is a ploy to cut losses as mass melting of mixed alloys will only produce a coin best described as zombie clads. The Lincoln Cent, subsidized or not by other coin lines, is unsustainable in its present form and composition.

17 hours ago, Conder101 said:

First thing I would do it double check the accuracy of the scales because those weight figures are seriously high.  The Pollock pieces would most likely have been proofs which these are not, but if the weights are confirmed they would be rolled thick planchet errors and these would be far enough off (around 4 grams) to definitely be worth a premium.

Interesting observation.

To my knowledge no one has made alloy tests for the three coinage mint cents from 1940 through 1949. Such tests could better establish the tin content of cents and the range of acceptable zinc alloy.

4 minutes ago, trenier said:

And the result of the grading is...

I can't find any 1945 Lincoln cent Ethiopia 5C Planchet errors, I found several Ethiopia 1C Planchet errors...

4156425_Full_Obv.jpg

4156425_Full_Rev.jpg

4156426_Full_Obv.jpg

4156426_Full_Rev.jpg

[First time I have seen the name of a country, caretakers by legend of the Ark of the Covenant, misspelled on a coin. Three errors for the price of one: wrong planchet, alleged cleaning and a confirmed typo. Somebody get me rewrite!]

I want to know how they got a 20 mm Ethiopia planchet into a 19 mm cent collar.  And how it managed to pass through the feeding apparatus set for 19 mm planchets.

Edited by Conder101