• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

? Wood looking penny

73 posts in this topic

This does look like a wood grain Lincoln. Some are more pronounced than this. It is caused by an improper alloy mix in the planchet material. Think of it as the lines show the different metals because they weren’t properly mixed. 

1 hour ago, Lem E said:

I like the woodie look myself. Too bad it wasn’t in a little better shape.

I like it too! A lot. I know it isn't in the best shape, but it could be worse, like that sad worn down Morgan. God bless it... 

At least I can tell what this one is, lol. And read all the letters and the  date. Haha, the more I look at it, the better shape it seems to be in, lol. I know it isn't perfect but it is good enough for me. The fact that I knew what to call it makes it great! I am gonna post some better pics tho. Those weren't very "posed". 

4 minutes ago, Sharann said:

I like it too! A lot. I know it isn't in the best shape, but it could be worse, like that sad worn down Morgan. God bless it... 

At least I can tell what this one is, lol. And read all the letters and the  date. Haha, the more I look at it, the better shape it seems to be in, lol. I know it isn't perfect but it is good enough for me. The fact that I knew what to call it makes it great! I am gonna post some better pics tho. Those weren't very "posed". 

It doesn’t matter what shape it is in if you like it. That is really all that matters. You seem to be picking things up well. Keep up the good work.

3 minutes ago, Lem E said:

It doesn’t matter what shape it is in if you like it. That is really all that matters. You seem to be picking things up well. Keep up the good work.

Thank you very much. I am thoroughly enjoying it. And "meeting" all of you. (Now if I can get these DDs figured out, I will be unstoppable, lol.) 

2 minutes ago, Sharann said:

Thank you very much. I am thoroughly enjoying it. And "meeting" all of you. (Now if I can get these DDs figured out, I will be unstoppable, lol.) 

You definitely have the drive and quite a bit of spunk to boot. Just have fun with it all. Its a slow process and you will never run out of things to learn. Nice meeting you as well.

3 hours ago, Lem E said:

You definitely have the drive and quite a bit of spunk to boot. Just have fun with it all. Its a slow process and you will never run out of things to learn. Nice meeting you as well.

To boot? Hmmm.... Where are you from? I say that all the time. 🤔😏

29 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

Love the look of the woodies also. I found one a few days ago and put it in a Whitman album. It was a sweet looking 1965 in about uncirculated condition. 

LOL, I. Found two more last night. I thought I'd hit the motherload 😂✌️

17 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

Always like these, think I'm going to start a circulated set of them and put them in a Whitman. 

I been working on a Whitman. Been slowly working on it looking for just the perfect coins for it. Ive been enjoying putting it together very much. Found 1 really nice woodie for it so far. Sharann would absolutely love it to put one together. The fun she has searching thru them. And found some dandys that would be perfect for one. Outta get u one Sharann. They aren't very much. 

I doubt the statement that the 'wood grain toneing' is caused by improper mixing, but I have not found a way to prove it wrong. The proponents, including some very intelligent numismatists, have not presented proof that it is true, at least not that I have seen.

I think this is just one more example of third hand research that seems to be prevalent in many tomes regarded as gospel. 

I'm not sure what the complaint about the wear is. I see very little. There's a little crudulation or discoloration, can't quite say. I can't tell if there's residual mint luster, which would be needed for EF, but I don't see edge dings. Unless the discolorations are outright tarnish, I think it's nice as bronze memorial Lincs go.

1 hour ago, Hoghead515 said:

I been working on a Whitman. Been slowly working on it looking for just the perfect coins for it. Ive been enjoying putting it together very much. Found 1 really nice woodie for it so far. Sharann would absolutely love it to put one together. The fun she has searching thru them. And found some dandys that would be perfect for one. Outta get u one Sharann. They aren't very much. 

You know, I just might. Where do I order one? 

59 minutes ago, JKK said:

I'm not sure what the complaint about the wear is. I see very little. There's a little crudulation or discoloration, can't quite say. I can't tell if there's residual mint luster, which would be needed for EF, but I don't see edge dings. Unless the discolorations are outright tarnish, I think it's nice as bronze memorial Lincs go.

Are you talking about my little ole penny? @JKK

Well, I sure am glad cause I didn't think it was that bad myself. Maybe it was the pictures or something, but I found two more after that last night. They weren't as pronounced on one side as the other but still woodies. I wasn't gonna disagree with anyone though... Not until I get my degree😂😂 At least he was nice about it... Unlike some other people. I appreciated that. @JKK

Edited by Sharann

1 hour ago, Moxie15 said:

I doubt the statement that the 'wood grain toneing' is caused by improper mixing, but I have not found a way to prove it wrong. The proponents, including some very intelligent numismatists, have not presented proof that it is true, at least not that I have seen.

I think this is just one more example of third hand research that seems to be prevalent in many tomes regarded as gospel. 

I am sure all would love to hear your theory if you'd like to share. You don't necessarily have to prove one wrong to have another. 

Edited by Sharann
Error

I thought it was a beauty. I would be very happy to fill a slot in my album with one like it. If u get one of those albums off Ebay make sure u get it off someone with good feedback. There's alot of crooks on there. There are plenty of very good sellers also. Just gotta be careful. 

Mainly it was a teaching point, since you're eager to learn. It's got a patina, but it might still have luster. The main detractor is not wear, but what could be corrosion. If it were my coin and I liked it, I'd magnify it so I could examine the discoloring and see if it were copper corrosion (bad) or just dark toning spots (interesting). I'd also look at the fields under mag, to see if the circulation dings were legion, hunt for any residual mint luster.

9 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

I thought it was a beauty. I would be very happy to fill a slot in my album with one like it. If u get one of those albums off Ebay make sure u get it off someone with good feedback. There's alot of crooks on there. There are plenty of very good sellers also. Just gotta be careful. 

Thanks for looking out for me. I will do just that. I am not always nice, believe it or not. I DO have a side that will tango if they try to mess with me! Lol

1 minute ago, JKK said:

Mainly it was a teaching point, since you're eager to learn. It's got a patina, but it might still have luster. The main detractor is not wear, but what could be corrosion. If it were my coin and I liked it, I'd magnify it so I could examine the discoloring and see if it were copper corrosion (bad) or just dark toning spots (interesting). I'd also look at the fields under mag, to see if the circulation dings were legion, hunt for any residual mint luster.

Okay... You totally lost me with some of that. I am gonna have to do a little research on that, sir, and I will return to class as soon as I get it done. Thank you😊 This is great... I love it! 

1 hour ago, JKK said:

Guess it was the black spots that caught my eye. I meant no disrespect. Its a fine looking piece. 

1 minute ago, Lem E said:

Guess it was the black spots that caught my eye. I meant no disrespect. Its a fine looking piece. 

No disrespect observed or interpreted. Until we know whether those are toning or surface-damaging corrosion, it's hard to quantify those. I just felt people had seen a brown penny with some color spots and not noted its general lack of wear, so I mentioned that part.

54 minutes ago, Lem E said:

None taken, my friend. I am now trying to do my vocabulary and science homework. I will be back soon! And hopefully with an answer. 😊