• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

? Wood looking penny

73 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, JKK said:

I definitely wouldn't soak any coins in Coke, which contains phosphoric acid. I would almost never soak any coins in any acid.

At this point, I'm out on cleaning/decrapulating advice. The party line is that novices should never clean any coins. I agree with that party line in general and it is my advice to you (and every other new collector who is tempted to start soaking coins in corrosive liquids and suchlike). I wish I'd just said it in the beginning, and now I'm fixing my mistake. It's been a distracted day.

If you find yourself tempted, I recommend you save the crapulated or corroded coins separately, let your knowledge grow, and then when you know what you're doing with this, you'll at least gain your knowledge by experimenting on coins that weren't worth anything. By saving them, you'll have them handy and won't have to hunt up new ones.

Oh please don't feel like I have done anything because you didn't tell me... Believe me I knew I shouldn't if it was anything I wanted to keep or value. I almost didn't even tell you because I didn't want y'all to be disappointed in me. But I just had to, lol. I felt like I had cheated on a test or something and it was killing me, lol. Y'all are all great and I really have already learned so much. Talking with y'all it isn't noticeable, but when my ignorant, though lovely, friends are with me they think I am a genius! Whoop, whoop!! Go, Sharann!! 

9 minutes ago, Sharann said:

Oh please don't feel like I have done anything because you didn't tell me... Believe me I knew I shouldn't if it was anything I wanted to keep or value. I almost didn't even tell you because I didn't want y'all to be disappointed in me. But I just had to, lol. I felt like I had cheated on a test or something and it was killing me, lol. Y'all are all great and I really have already learned so much. Talking with y'all it isn't noticeable, but when my ignorant, though lovely, friends are with me they think I am a genius! Whoop, whoop!! Go, Sharann!! 

Asking these questions and showing pictures is a great way to learn. Noone will be disappointed in you. Most on here are happy to help someone who really wants to learn. 

9 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Soak your Lincoln is some mineral oil or olive oil. Watch it for any signs of color change (daily, not every 10 minutes). After about a week, take it out and gently pick at the corrosion spot with a rose thorn. If nothing comes off, and your coin has not started to change color, put it back in the oil, and let it soak some more. It may take months for the oil to soften whatever is on your coin - if it does it at all. Don't use anything harder than the thorn on your coin.

When your are done with the experiment, don't try to wash the oil off the coin. Pat it dry with a soft cloth, and put it away. The coating of oil left on the coin will help protect it from future corrosion. Old time copper collectors would sometimes oil their coins with a horsehair brush to preserve them.

DISCLAIMER: The above advice is for informational purposes. Use at your own risk! I have had good success with olive oil on coins, but have found that it will lighten brass tokens if they are left soaking for months. (Olive oil is slightly acidic, according to what I have read - especially the lower quality brands.) It may not be a bad idea to check any coins on which you have left a coating of olive oil periodically, just to be safe.

Thank you for the information. I would never hold anyone liable for trying to help me anyway, but you don't know that, lol. I am amazed by the little things. A rose thorn? Now who would've thought of such? That is incredible to me. People were so resourceful once upon a time. I know inventions, etc have helped people not HAVE to be resourceful, but I think it is fun to see what you can do with what you have. But that's just my thoughts about that. 

Anyway, thank you very much! 

20 minutes ago, Sharann said:

Thank you for the information. I would never hold anyone liable for trying to help me anyway, but you don't know that, lol. I am amazed by the little things. A rose thorn? Now who would've thought of such? That is incredible to me. People were so resourceful once upon a time. I know inventions, etc have helped people not HAVE to be resourceful, but I think it is fun to see what you can do with what you have. But that's just my thoughts about that. 

Anyway, thank you very much! 

The disclaimer was as much for future readers of this thread as it was for you. I don't want some guy getting mad at me, 5 years down the road, because his coin changed color.

The rose thorn idea is not mine. Board member Conder101 and former member michael were where that tip came from.

1 minute ago, Woods020 said:

I was watching a show recently on discovery about the discovery of some artifacts. But long story short the museum conserving the pieces used thorns to clean the intricate areas on the pieces. Apparently it’s a recognized “tool” for conservation. 

Thank you. It is really cool to me. I suppose if I was in the wilderness and needed a toothpick, I would've come up with something... Possibly a rose thorn. I just wonder how they came up with that, lol. Guess that's another book... 

Thank you that info Justbob. I got some cents I wanna try to conserve.  Nothing very special but some I'd just like to get some gunk off of. I'll soak them and thankfully I got some rose bushes outside. That's the first time I've heard of that. Does it matter if the thorn has been dried out or still green? Just taking a wild guess I figured a green one probably wouldn't break as bad. And still be a little bit soft and limber. 

1 minute ago, Hoghead515 said:

Thank you that info Justbob. I got some cents I wanna try to conserve.  Nothing very special but some I'd just like to get some gunk off of. I'll soak them and thankfully I got some rose bushes outside. That's the first time I've heard of that. Does it matter if the thorn has been dried out or still green? Just taking a wild guess I figured a green one probably wouldn't break as bad. And still be a little bit soft and limber. 

And I wonder if it has been tested with any other type thorns too. I know we have some thorn trees out here whose thorns would be easier to use because they are so long, but they might be too tough. Idk. 

12 hours ago, Sharann said:

And I wonder if it has been tested with any other type thorns too. I know we have some thorn trees out here whose thorns would be easier to use because they are so long, but they might be too tough. Idk. 

There is only one way to find out. Try them on some pocket change coins and see what happens.

I have used a toothpick on bronze and brass tokens with no ill effects. A Devil's Walking Stick or Greenbriar thorn would probably be fine, as would most any woody plant thorn.

11 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

There is only one way to find out. Try them on some pocket change coins and see what happens.

I have used a toothpick on bronze and brass tokens with no ill effects. A Devil's Walking Stick or Greenbriar thorn would probably be fine, as would most any woody plant thorn.

Thank you for the information my friend. May do some experimenting on some junk coins. 

1 hour ago, Hoghead515 said:

Guess what I found @Sharann.  Had to stop at NAPA and get parts for my Suburban and I found a woodie. It's gonna make a good one for the Whitman. Polish_20210305_183625490.thumb.jpg.549279420d1ad443d1c8a023dd329e56.jpg

Yes, it sure is! I love it! Thank you for sharing it with me 😊