• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Error or damage? 2002 quarter
1 1

33 posts in this topic

The front of this coin is really pretty but the back looks like it is scratched in the same pattern but the coin doesn't look damaged. Little help for a new lady please. It's actually very  pretty coin pattern. 

IMG_20210225_143018~2.jpg

IMG_20210225_143023~2.jpg

IMG_20210225_143034~2.jpg

I don't know so I am posting this hoping to get feedback from my friends.

My question to myself is this... 1. If this happened at the mint, which would mean it to be an error, where could it have happened, or in what stage could it have possibly happened? 

I don't see where it could've happened at the mint, so I am gonna say it isn't an error, but please don't take my word for it. I am just guessing to get feedback and a little more education. 

12 minutes ago, DonnaJo said:

It's definitely an interesting piece. Has me wondering what could do this to a coin. But I'm super new so I don't know a lot about the errors just yet lol

So am I! But this is a great place to learn. 

It looks to me like an end piece of metal and those are definitely saw marks where the piece was cut so i definitely would say in my opinion you may have a legitimate error coin. Its like if you had a piece of rolled steel and you cut it to size with a saw blade your left with those exact marks 

1614302526383-2018178438.jpg

5 minutes ago, JOHN DENT said:

It looks to me like an end piece of metal and those are definitely saw marks where the piece was cut so i definitely would say in my opinion you may have a legitimate error coin. Its like if you had a piece of rolled steel and you cut it to size with a saw blade your left with those exact marks 

1614302526383-2018178438.jpg

Oh that's really cool if so how exciting if that's the case! Thx for the thoughts and opinions

43 minutes ago, Moxie15 said:

@DonnaJo

Lets play a little game. This game helps both of us learn, I call the game What.

We ask each other questions about the coin how, why or what.

L will start

What does the face of the die that struck this coin look like?

This is the front 

IMG_20210225_143034~2.jpg

6 minutes ago, JOHN DENT said:

1614302713416-1858982680.jpg

Ok I'm just getting into this coin stuff. My great grandpaw always looked at every coin told me they like little treasures. that always stuck with me so looking for a hobby I decided to go with coins this would be my first really neat rare find If so. 

IMG_20210225_143023.jpg

This seemingly would be damage logically. However, it looks like the outline of the US is not disturbed by the raised lines. It’s interesting to say the least. Could this somehow of happened as planchet damage prior to striking? Not sure how a planchet would get mangled like that unless it got caught in the upsetting machine or something. And I know the strike usually smoothes out minor surface imperfections from the pressure and metal flow, but if it was significant damage to the planchet maybe it would remain? Looking forward to seeing opinions on this. 

You would think if this is after strike damage, the words and date would have the same lines, but they look clean. The outline of the U.S. also looks clean as was said earlier. The rim of the coin is also fairly clean. 

3 minutes ago, Lem E said:

You would think if this is after strike damage, the words and date would have the same lines, but they look clean. The outline of the U.S. also looks clean as was said earlier. The rim of the coin is also fairly clean. 

I agree! Are we sure these lines are raised?

15 minutes ago, Lem E said:

That's what struck my interest. I would think if it was scrape damage it would be gouges in the letters.

Ok, so now we know they are not raised lines? Then it looks to me like these are just some kind of annealing lines. Probably on the strip of metal before being punched for minting. Not really any value to it, just different looking. Some people think the lines are cool and others think it just detracts from the coin. 

Could it have been improperly annealed and when it was run thru the rollers to flatten it out into planchet size , make those lines in it. Before the planchets were stamped out. Kinda like those old Morgans that were pulled thru a drawbench 

Edited by Hoghead515

7 hours ago, DonnaJo said:

Could this possibly be feeder finger er ror over the whole reverse side?

I believe if this was feeder finger damage than there would be actual scaping. From what I can see from the newer pics, the lines are colored lines and not scrapes correct?

I thought the same thing. If it just colors and not scratches. No one take my guess seriously because I'm no expert. Just wanna take a stab. I believe what Bsshog40 is saying. It had something to do with annealing. Then when it was run thru the rolling machines it came out like that. Before the planchet was stamped  out. 

Edited by Hoghead515