• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gifted with NGC rated coins. How do I determine current value?

11 posts in this topic

I have been gifted with several NGC Gold coins and I have the invoices.  I have entered them into my profile which gives me a report but the current values of those coins are all over the place.  Gold coins purchased on the same day may be up 45% but others on that same invoice are down 30%.  I think I must be interpreting this information incorrectly.  How do I find the estimated current value of a coin?

Assuming you don't want retail values I find the GreatCollections Auction Archives to be a reasonable source for auction pricing results and easier to navigate than other sources.  You'll need to setup an account to see the prices realized.

https://www.greatcollections.com/Auction-Archive/US-Coin-Prices/

If you have an item that is a rarity then I'd suggest expert opinion on pricing.  Post it/them here and you'll have plenty of responses.

If you go to this page NGC Cert look up you will see the value of the coin, assuming not a world coin, and you'll get a idea of it's Potential value...this is not set in stone mine you.
The NGC site has a lot of great resources if you have a look around.

Edited by EdG_Ohio
can't spell

54 minutes ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

Assuming you don't want retail values I find the GreatCollections Auction Archives to be a reasonable source for auction pricing results and easier to navigate than other sources.  You'll need to setup an account to see the prices realized.

https://www.greatcollections.com/Auction-Archive/US-Coin-Prices/

If you have an item that is a rarity then I'd suggest expert opinion on pricing.  Post it/them here and you'll have plenty of responses.

Thanks for the help

Coin pricing is not as simple as year, mintmark, grade, boom this is the price, even less so for gold coins.  Prices fluctuate a lot because buyers may think the coin is over/under graded or it may have been given a thumbs up bean sticker by CAC.  Also the lower the grade of gold coins (common coins that is) the more its value will be tied to the gold spot value, which also fluctuates every day.  As an example if you bought a common date MS62 gold saint coin early last year you could buy them for around $1,400 or so, because spot was around $1,400.  Today those coins sell for $1,800 and up because the spot price of gold has been around $1,800+ for awhile now.