• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1922 $1

7 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Mr.Bill347 said:

I just had a 1922 graded MS63 and it’s worth about 50 bucks

The value mentioned is ONLY if the coin is uncirculated with minimal distracting marks. The photos are not of sufficient quality to determine much about condition.

I haven't seen it in a long while, but it used to be quite common for newbie to come around asking about their "error" peace dollars that had a V instead of a U. (Strangely I have never seen them ask about their "error" standing liberty quarters that had a V's instead of U's.)

I have agree with MRBill347 and JT2's comments. There was the sound for the letter we call U, but it didn't look like U. It looked like V. The Classical Latin alphabet had only 23 letters, not the 26 that we have today. Similarly the sound of W looks like a double V and there is no soft C sound as we know it today, the letter C is pronounced as the letter K.  Those darn Romans!  I do love the look it adds to the Peace Dollars though.