• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just an idea...

6 posts in this topic

So, I am running with a weird idea here. I happen to have acquired the 1984 P and D mint set and the 1984 Proof set. It also happens to be the LAST year that the Good Old Detroit Tigers won the MLB World Series. 1984 World Series - Wikipedia My twin brother and I were 3 years old the year they won that game. We were AT game 5. Somewhere there is a decades old faded Polaroid picture of us at the game, with the pennants we were waving and all that fun stuff 3 year old boys do when they are at a ball game with their dad and grandpa. Well, that being said, I turn 40 this year and I am looking to surprise my brother with a 1984 / Tigers themed collection for my brother. What I am looking to do is make a shadow box with all NGC graded 1984 P and D and S (proof) coins in it, along with any other coins that were minted in that year, including the 1984 Olympic Coin collection. Any thoughts?

1984 D MINT (A1).jpg

1984 D MINT (A2).jpg

1984 P MINT (A1).jpg

1984 P MINT (A2).jpg

1984 PROOF.jpg

Hi there. I am brand new, I mean brand spankin' new to coin collecting, but definitely not to shadowbox making or any project of sorts. I think that would be a grand idea and absolutely beautiful, not to mention a sentimental and heartfelt gift!!

Do you have the picture somewhere or are you trying to locate the picture? 

Edited by Sharann
Error

AH 1984.....I barely rememeber that year...2 of my favorite pastimes baseball and coins. I think it will make a lovely gift for anyone.

I think it is a great idea. The $10 gold coin will cost you about $1200, if you choose to include it, but it isn't hard to find. And, if you go just base metal and silver, your cost is much less - around $35 for proof coins. Depends on your budget, and how much you like your brother. ;)

It is a gift I would be happy to receive.

Welcome to the forum.