• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 p (any ideas on this?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

It looks to have been re-plated after it left the mint. I would guess that the lines are an anomaly caused by the plating process. That would fall under the post-mint damage category.

2 hours ago, Just Bob said:

It looks to have been re-plated after it left the mint. I would guess that the lines are an anomaly caused by the plating process. That would fall under the post-mint damage category.

Agree. Re-plated for use in cheap jewelry or novelty items. Worth 1-cent.

2 hours ago, Equalibrium said:

what is replating? and does it affect the value if i try to get this coin graded

The 1943 cents were made of steel with a thin plating of zinc. Once in circulation, it didn't take long for the plating to begin to wear off, and the steel to rust. In order to make them look more appealing, some companies stripped and re-plated the cents to make them look like new. These were often sold in 3-coin sets - one from each mint.

According to some earlier posts by Mr Lange, NGC will not grade re-plated cents.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

According to some earlier posts by Mr Lange, NGC will not grade re-plated cents.

Roger that----no, I don't mean RWB.

17 hours ago, Equalibrium said:

seeing extra raised lines under 1 and 9 in date/ they are not scratches its raised metal on the surface. Also is this a D.D.o?

20210221_155150.jpg

20210221_155321.jpg

1943 steel cent.jpg

Snap_002.jpg

Snap_003.jpg

Snap_004.jpg

Snap_005.jpg

Snap_006.jpg

Snap_007.jpg

Snap_009.jpg

Snap_010.jpg

Snap_011.jpg

Snap_012.jpg

Snap_013.jpg

Snap_014.jpg

Snap_015.jpg

Snap_016.jpg

Snap_017.jpg

Snap_018.jpg

Snap_019.jpg

Snap_020.jpg

Worthless replate job.

In my opinion this is a choice zinc 1943 there is no doubling In this queen whatsoever if it would be it would be in the liberty close to 1943 clearly on the 943  Plus liberty would be fat. And the color machine Dublin. Doubling is caused by the price of the coin. I would rate your coin MS 67 in my opinion but any type of fake double dies that you’re seeing is just the zinc around that coin. It’s kind of like when you spray paint a coin puddles around the raised weathering. I’ll be worth 200 buck I think i’m far from an expert but I got about 50 of these coins. With a real double dies in them go on YouTube born about your coin. But you definitely have a very good specimen there it’s just a regular 1943 Philadelphia cent

On 3/13/2022 at 8:19 AM, Todd Fondakowski said:

In my opinion this is a choice zinc 1943 there is no doubling In this queen whatsoever if it would be it would be in the liberty close to 1943 clearly on the 943  Plus liberty would be fat. And the color machine Dublin. Doubling is caused by the price of the coin. I would rate your coin MS 67 in my opinion but any type of fake double dies that you’re seeing is just the zinc around that coin. It’s kind of like when you spray paint a coin puddles around the raised weathering. I’ll be worth 200 buck I think i’m far from an expert but I got about 50 of these coins. With a real double dies in them go on YouTube born about your coin. But you definitely have a very good specimen there it’s just a regular 1943 Philadelphia cent

I'm sorry to say that you are way off base, this coin was whizzed and then plated, it is worth $.01 at best and nowhere near $200.

On 3/13/2022 at 8:19 AM, Todd Fondakowski said:

Nope. It's replated. It's worth a penny. And telling anyone to go to YouPube for coin information is a form of informational violence, even if unintentional.

Edited by JKK

I'm wondering if it could have been small lamination under that plating?  I guess it doesn't matter now, the OP is gone.

Edited by tj96

On 3/13/2022 at 11:19 AM, Todd Fondakowski said:

I’ll be worth 200 buck I think i’m far from an expert but I got about 50 of these coins.

Yep, you're certainly right, there.

On 3/13/2022 at 12:44 PM, RWB said:

Yep, you're certainly right, there.

Bizarro World Expert.