• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1994 SP Nickel
1 1

46 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Hoghead515 said:

I didn't know they had them in the 97s till I say your post. I will have to try and work on getting one of those next. I think im starting to become a nickle collector. I really enjoy all the nickles I have pretty well

Jefferson Nickels are a really fun series to collect.  It's the ONE US coin series I actually make any sort of attempt to complete a set (although I'm really only after super high-quality pieces that were purchased raw, so I don't have a complete set by any means yet.)  When people used to ask me "what series should I start collecting if I'm thinking about collecting US coins" I always replied either Jefferson Nickels or Eisenhower Dollars.  You can put together almost a full set of Jeffersons by searching bank boxes (if you want circulated) and the keys you can't find can be purchased for less than $5 at a coin shop.  Or, you can put together a nice UNC set of Jeffersons relatively easily and relatively inexpensively...or you can shoot for really high grade specimens...and then you can go for FS and toners and varieties.  So many levels.

3 minutes ago, stldanceartist said:

One other thought on the toning of OP's coin - 

As I look through my examples, it's interesting to see that some of them are still blast white, some of them have a light caramel color, some of them have started getting darker into a more maroon or even purple, and some of them are going blue.  ALWAYS the reverse, though.

That's interesting. In the package the reverses are touching the plastic from the 2 dollar bill. Wonder if it's something to do with some kind of science behind that. 

4 minutes ago, stldanceartist said:

Jefferson Nickels are a really fun series to collect.  It's the ONE US coin series I actually make any sort of attempt to complete a set (although I'm really only after super high-quality pieces that were purchased raw, so I don't have a complete set by any means yet.)  When people used to ask me "what series should I start collecting if I'm thinking about collecting US coins" I always replied either Jefferson Nickels or Eisenhower Dollars.  You can put together almost a full set of Jeffersons by searching bank boxes (if you want circulated) and the keys you can't find can be purchased for less than $5 at a coin shop.  Or, you can put together a nice UNC set of Jeffersons relatively easily and relatively inexpensively...or you can shoot for really high grade specimens...and then you can go for FS and toners and varieties.  So many levels.

I think im gonna try and start on them. Seems like I can always find better deals on them also than some of the other coins I've been working on. I also really like the design of them. And the size is perfect. I really enjoy the older Jefferson nickles. I like the new design also but not as much as the older one. 

Just now, Hoghead515 said:

I think im gonna try and start on them. Seems like I can always find better deals on them also than some of the other coins I've been working on. I also really like the design of them. And the size is perfect. I really enjoy the older Jefferson nickles. I like the new design also but not as much as the older one. 

I only do 38 - 64 circs. No proofs. I have more $ wrapped up in my nickel collection than anything else I have. I dig my jeffs. They can get very pricey just like everything else though.

I agree - they can get super pricey (if you're at the upper levels of quality.)  However, very often you can buy this level of coin raw for a fraction of what a more popular series would bring.  

I also love that Jeffersons seem way easier to image than other coin sizes haha

Just now, Lem E said:

I only do 38 - 64 circs. No proofs. I have more $ wrapped up in my nickel collection than anything else I have. I dig my jeffs. They can get very pricey just like everything else though.

Those ones you posted when I first met you on here were very nice. I couldn't even imagine what you had tied up in those two. I seen some similar on Ebay and they were pricey. I remember that one had a really cool die crack in it. 

1 minute ago, Hoghead515 said:

Those ones you posted when I first met you on here were very nice. I couldn't even imagine what you had tied up in those two. I seen some similar on Ebay and they were pricey. I remember that one had a really cool die crack in it. 

Thanks brother. Just go to the 38 to 64 circ sets and look for the lem collection if you want to see the rest. I have pics but no descriptions yet. Still under construction. That 51 with the die crack is still my favorite so far.

4 minutes ago, stldanceartist said:

I agree - they can get super pricey (if you're at the upper levels of quality.)  However, very often you can buy this level of coin raw for a fraction of what a more popular series would bring.  

I also love that Jeffersons seem way easier to image than other coin sizes haha

I think that's what I'm going to start doing. Start searching for very nice raw examples. Then save them up for bulk submissions. Would probably save alot of money in the long run. Spend quite a time looking  for the perfect coins. I bout have enough raw coins for a bulk submission saved up already. From proof sets and things. But they are all different denominations. When sending in bulk do they all have to be the same thing? Like all nickles or all quarters,  etc ?

4 minutes ago, Lem E said:

Thanks brother. Just go to the 38 to 64 circ sets and look for the lem collection if you want to see the rest. I have pics but no descriptions yet. Still under construction. That 51 with the die crack is still my favorite so far.

I would love to check them out. I'll look em up. I've been working on a few more quarters them I'm going to start on Jeffersons. I'm still trying to finish a set of 2020 W quarters  in ms65. I'm still working on some earlier Washington's also. I really like them too. 

3 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

Maybe or the way it was packaged was flawed. You'll find out in a few years.:grin:

Gotta be big time for bulk submissions, if you plan on sending in a dozen or so coins you'd just use the regular submission form. They don't have to be the same coin when submitting like that but they do all need to be in the same grading tier, otherwise you'll need a separate form for each tier. Just let us know when you're ready we'll help you out.(thumbsu

I appreciate it my friend. I will start saving a little back out of each paycheck and put it back just for that. Hopefully I can save enough up for here by summer time. 

23 minutes ago, Lem E said:

I just went and checked your collection out and WOW.  Brother that is a very impressive set. Congrats on the #9 set. You have some stunning jeffs in there. Those are some awsome pics of them also. I'd say alot of those were very hard to come by. Very low population in the high grades. That's very awesome my friend. 

4 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

I just went and checked your collection out and WOW.  Brother that is a very impressive set. Congrats on the #9 set. You have some stunning jeffs in there. Those are some awsome pics of them also. I'd say alot of those were very hard to come by. Very low population in the high grades. That's very awesome my friend. 

Thank you my friend. Im starting to go through again and redoing pics. Im just never satisfied with them. I had to back off a bit so my funds can recharge. Got a little nuts for a bit. I appreciate the kudos greatly.

On 2/20/2021 at 5:06 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I didn't know they had them in the 97s till I say your post. I will have to try and work on getting one of those next.

The 97 will be a tougher to get, they only made 25,000 of them  They made 167,000 of the 94's.

Just now, Conder101 said:

The 97 will be a tougher to get, they only made 25,000 of them  They made 167,000 of the 94's.

The 97 will probably be a little pricey then won't it?  Hopefully I will be able to dig one up one of these days. Be a good one to find and pass along to kids and grandkids.