• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Susan B. Anthony Dollars

15 posts in this topic

Are circulated 1979 “average” SBA dollars worth keeping? I know that’s general but I’m not inclined to keep ones that are only worth face value as I can trade them at the bank for other coins to check for more valuable pieces. TIA

I got a cool story about those. My mom and dad were working in Oregon several years ago and made a purchase at Pep Boys or something like that. They bought an alternator for a Chevy Blazer. The store didn't have no paper change to give them and asked if they cared to take quarter rolls. They didn't realize it till they got back to Kentucky when they broke the rolls open they were 2 rolls of nothing but SBA dollars. There was no way to get hold of them to make it right. 

2 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

I got a cool story about those. My mom and dad were working in Oregon several years ago and made a purchase at Pep Boys or something like that. They bought an alternator for a Chevy Blazer. The store didn't have no paper change to give them and asked if they cared to take quarter rolls. They didn't realize it till they got back to Kentucky when they broke the rolls open they were 2 rolls of nothing but SBA dollars. There was no way to get hold of them to make it right. 

Wow, that’s funny! Good luck I guess!

The only one's that I like to keep if I find them are the 1979 Wide Rim or Near Date as they are called. 

SBA wide rim.jpg

Edited by bsshog40

9 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

Out of curiosity, what part of Oregon? I live in the western burbs of Portland.

6 minutes ago, SVO_Seth said:

I found one of those and an “S”

EFD3ACE9-1740-4928-AFC6-76D573E18753.jpeg

Yea the mintage on these were about half of the 79 P's & D's. No big value and fairly easy to find. 

Edited by bsshog40

2 minutes ago, JKK said:

Out of curiosity, what part of Oregon? I live in the western burbs of Portland.

Not really sure. They worked in a few different places. I know for sure they were in Portland once. They done a route in several different places in Oregon, Washington, and North California. I remember dad came back from Portland with green hair and an ear ring and a few new tattoos tho. Lol. They were out there for 2 months. 

6 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

Yea the mintage on these were about half of the 79 P's & D's. No big value and fairly easy to find. 

I only ended up with 10 of those. My sister got the rest I think. Or most of them. The only wide rim is a 1980 D. I only got one S also. Don't know what the rest were. Back before I started collecting. None of mine are special. Don't know bout my sisPolish_20210219_211047960.thumb.jpg.b7e49e71cb65a5f8986d6256404fd337.jpg

Edited by Hoghead515

1 minute ago, Hoghead515 said:

I only ended up with 10 of those. My sister got the rest I think. Or most of them. The only wide rim is a 1980 D. I only got one S also. Don't know what the rest were. Back before I started collecting. Polish_20210219_211047960.thumb.jpg.b7e49e71cb65a5f8986d6256404fd337.jpg

The Wide Rims that matter are only on the 1979P. The wide rim was normal for all the years after. 

8 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

Not really sure. They worked in a few different places. I know for sure they were in Portland once. They done a route in several different places in Oregon, Washington, and North California. I remember dad came back from Portland with green hair and an ear ring and a few new tattoos tho. Lol. They were out there for 2 months. 

That does not surprise me. No one behaves for very long in Portland, I find.

2 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

The Wide Rims that matter are only on the 1979P. The wide rim was normal for all the years after. 

Yep. None of my 79s are the wide rim. They all are normal. Nothing special. 

2 minutes ago, JKK said:

That does not surprise me. No one behaves for very long in Portland, I find.

He's been all over the US and Canada and that's one of the only places I've seen him get out of line like that. Lol